What's new

Could Kava grow in Brazil?

Bwiggy

I like plants
You know, the tropical area of Brazil.

And could it solve all their drug based crime problems, and/or all their problems in general?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I think kava could probably grow in places where there aren't hard freezes. Chris and I discussed this towards the end of the podcast we did, I think.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
You know, the tropical area of Brazil.

And could it solve all their drug based crime problems, and/or all their problems in general?
Being native to that country, I'd say it is possible from the climate point of view (with the exception of southern Brazil). It will not likely solve the terrible and corrupt government we have in place. Brazilians have been dealing with corruption for many decades, only a complete overhaul of that system, may give them a fighting chance.
Growing up being more afraid of the police than the criminals, you sort of tend to loose faith in the government. I could go on and on about this, but it seems pointless quite frankly.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Being native to that country, I'd say it is possible from the climate point of view (with the exception of southern Brazil). It will not likely solve the terrible and corrupt government we have in place. Brazilians have been dealing with corruption for many decades, only a complete overhaul of that system, may give them a fighting chance.
Growing up being more afraid of the police than the criminals, you sort of tend to loose faith in the government. I could go on and on about this, but it seems pointless quite frankly.
This is a good point. Brazil already produces tons of coffee, and it still has those problems. Adding kava to its exports wouldn't automatically solve those problems. To do that would require, like you said, major political change.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Btw, Maceio is a bad example, in terms of location, northern Brazil, near the amazon, are places more likely to have kava grow successfully.

EDIT: Maceio Aeroroporto, is an odd place for the chart, why would they use an Airport for that chart?

verticity

I'm interested in things
Btw, Maceio is a bad example, in terms of location, northern Brazil, near the amazon, are places more likely to have kava grow successfully.
That place probably just came up because there is an airport there--that site compares climate data from airport weather stations...

Bwiggy

I like plants
Wow. The Brazilian culture is so wonderful, outside of the corruption.
My initial questions were facetious of course and didn't mean to minimize the severity of the problems there.

I've read how kava helps people with addiction. I wish more people had access to it.

Bwiggy

I like plants
Probably. To grow kava a place would need to have a climate similar to the South Pacific, including both temperature and precipitation. You can use this site:
http://mikemcbrearty.com/climate/station/pekoa-airport-sant-vanuatu
To find places with similar climates. For example, for Santo island, Vanuatu, one of the places with a very similar climate is in Brazil:
View attachment 6446
That is cool! Thank you!

I was thinking they shouldn't export any of the kava. Keep it all for themselves!
Actually ....give it to the criminals for free!! let them chill out and get off whatever they crave to for a day

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Wow. The Brazilian culture is so wonderful, outside of the corruption.
My initial questions were facetious of course and didn't mean to minimize the severity of the problems there.

I've read how kava helps people with addiction. I wish more people had access to it.
The sad reality of the population is that 70% are dirt poor, I remember the first few years in the US, what American's deem poor compared to Brazil's population and in comparison, the average American, even say someone making 15-20k a year, would be comparable to what we see as being in the middle class there. It really is astonishing, such a beautiful country with such a sharp contrast in living standards. Some criminals there will rob you and possibly kill you for a pair of sneakers.
Btw, I wasn't offended just thought I'd give some insight on the topic since I am Brazilian after-all.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thanks for the reply, @Winpig .
Is it safe for a vacation there? Single woman here.
Lol, yes and no, it depends where you go. Most people think of going to Rio De Janeiro when going to Brazil, it it definitely a beautiful city, but not really safe imo, if you are a going by yourself, whether you are man or woman makes no difference. Americans stand out like a soar thumb. Cities like those are best if you know someone in the area that 1. speaks the language and 2. can show you around. My mother's best friend lives in Rio, so if you ever decide you absolutely must visit Rio, I can probably arrange something.
There are far more safer & beautiful cities to visit in Brazil that go unnoticed. If you google Fortaleza, Recife or generally the Northeast Region. Those are far more beautiful and historic and definitely safer...

Bwiggy

I like plants
Ah, thanks. That's a generous offer! I will keep it in mind.
I saw that there are a few people in Brazil who visit kavaforums.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
@Kavasseur I'd love to grow some kava at home for the shear joy of watching it flourish, but I doubt it's easy, I think Deleted User01 had said he tried, I forget who it was, you are awell traveled person, so Imagine you know best.

Last edited:

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Is it safe for a vacation there? Single woman here.
If you do visit the cities, avoid wearing jewellery. Don't wear a watch, don't carry a handbag (or any bag) that can be easily snatched, and don't walk around with your phone or gadgets visible.