What's new

Extract idea

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Man I thought I was going to see the end of that :(
Not sure what you mean. I'm not condoning the use of cannabis but the techniques used to extracting oils are similar to the methods used for kava. So by studying how the cannabis world does it can lead to ideas that may also apply to kava.

Now that cannabis is legal in Colorado, so many people were using butane to extract hash oil at home, the state has banned butane. But expect to see new and exciting home techniques for extraction to appear.

Using CO2 alone for extraction alone requires both extreme heat and pressures. To do this yourself at home is like playing with a loaded pipe bomb. Very dangerous. So I would rather see someone using CO2 with Everclear (not butane) to extract kava, which is a much safer technique. IMO

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
There actually is a do-this-at-home-kids CO2 extractor, problem is it's still expensive and kava requires so much volume that it's impractical with a small setup

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
There actually is a do-this-at-home-kids CO2 extractor, problem is it's still expensive and kava requires so much volume that it's impractical with a small setup
I saw some companies provide this as a service using their expensive super critical extractors. But have no idea if it would be financially feasible to have some batches run by them.

verticity

I'm interested in things
LOL. She seems more concerned about the legality of the alcohol than the "medicinal plants". "I paid taxes on this alcohol! I'm not distilling alcohol!" (+ large bowl full of MJ, "legally grown").
"-30 or -70 Farenheit whatever" The sublimation point of dry ice is -109F (-79C)
So, apparently the extreme chilling is so the water soluble stuff doesn't get extracted. But, in the case of kava I don't think this would work; room temperature or higher would be more efficient.
The "air still" is pretty cool, though. That would be much better to use than a food dehydrator.
"Ethanol is flammable. Don't smoke." Smart woman.

verticity

I'm interested in things
@HeadHodge Awesome!

@verticity - teflon itself is toxic. If you use a knife, you could easily knock loose some toxic tidbits, as they're all toxic. The only thing you should use is plastic.
Usually things DO lift nicely from Teflon. My complaint is that this *$#@ is not.
No, Teflon is inert; it is not toxic. It's also pretty tough. I really wouldn't worry about it. If you end up with some Teflon flakes in your extract, you can just pick them out...
http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/answered-questions/fear-teflon-flakes-found-frying-pan

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Not sure what you mean. I'm not condoning the use of cannabis but the techniques used to extracting oils are similar to the methods used for kava. So by studying how the cannabis world does it can lead to ideas that may also apply to kava.

Now that cannabis is legal in Colorado, so many people were using butane to extract hash oil at home, the state has banned butane. But expect to see new and exciting home techniques for extraction to appear.

Using CO2 alone for extraction alone requires both extreme heat and pressures. To do this yourself at home is like playing with a loaded pipe bomb. Very dangerous. So I would rather see someone using CO2 with Everclear (not butane) to extract kava, which is a much safer technique. IMO
I meant I wanted to see the end of the video, after 10+ minutes watching it, I wanted to see the end product.

I have no problem w/ MJ, I don't smoke it (anymore). I don't even drink alcohol (anymore). I think MJ should be legal in all 50 states and alcohol should be banned, but that's probably a topic for a different thread or forum.

verticity

I'm interested in things

We haven't banned butane, which would be silly, but we have made it illegal to use butane for making hash oil.
http://www.denverpost.com/2014/09/05/ban-butane-hash-oil-extraction/

I'm not really sure why anyone would do this, anyway, because it is so dangerous due to butane being a flammable gas, and other liquid non-polar solvents, such as n-hexane, can be easily purchased. (hexane is flammable, too, but much less dangerous, because it is a liquid)

verticity

I'm interested in things
I meant I wanted to see the end of the video, after 10+ minutes watching it, I wanted to see the end product.

I have no problem w/ MJ, I don't smoke it (anymore). I don't even drink alcohol (anymore). I think MJ should be legal in all 50 states and alcohol should be banned, but that's probably a topic for a different thread or forum.
I thought you meant a Kavasseur-video style ending where he completely krunked out.:D

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I'm not really sure why anyone would do this, anyway, because it is so dangerous due to butane being a flammable gas, and other liquid non-polar solvents, such as n-hexane, can be easily purchased. (hexane is flammable, too, but much less dangerous, because it is a liquid)
Back in the dark ages, people would make extract in a PVC pipe with butane outside, and I'm sure more than one person blew off their hands doing it.

The semi-legal status and proliferation of more sane extraction stuff has thankfully ended that

verticity

I'm interested in things
Back in the dark ages, people would make extract in a PVC pipe with butane outside, and I'm sure more than one person blew off their hands doing it.

The semi-legal status and proliferation of more sane extraction stuff has thankfully ended that
Darwin Award winners.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity

If I took all my booze to extract kava, instead of drinking it, would that be a good thing?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@HeadHodge Awesome!

@verticity - teflon itself is toxic. If you use a knife, you could easily knock loose some toxic tidbits, as they're all toxic. The only thing you should use is plastic.
Usually things DO lift nicely from Teflon. My complaint is that this *$#@ is not.
Here's another one that uses booze to extract kava
http://kingkava.com/making-kava-extract/
They all have a common theme:
* Mix booze with kava powder
* Shake Soak Shake Soak......
* Filter kava solids (same as traditional prep)
* Evaporate away booze
* Consume dried kava like instant

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
LOL. She seems more concerned about the legality of the alcohol than the "medicinal plants". "I paid taxes on this alcohol! I'm not distilling alcohol!" (+ large bowl full of MJ, "legally grown").
"-30 or -70 Farenheit whatever" The sublimation point of dry ice is -109F (-79C)
So, apparently the extreme chilling is so the water soluble stuff doesn't get extracted. But, in the case of kava I don't think this would work; room temperature or higher would be more efficient.
The "air still" is pretty cool, though. That would be much better to use than a food dehydrator.
"Ethanol is flammable. Don't smoke." Smart woman.
I don't the CO2 is used just to cool, I've read in several places that it interacts with the booze to enhance the extraction. But I don't know if that's true or not.

Also I've read people just going down and renting a full CO2 tank from beer distributors and have read that it contains liquid CO2. If that's true I wonder if that would be a better CO2 source.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I don't the CO2 is used just to cool, I've read in several places that it interacts with the booze to enhance the extraction. But I don't know if that's true or not.

Also I've read people just going down and renting a full CO2 tank from beer distributors and have read that it contains liquid CO2. If that's true I wonder if that would be a better CO2 source.
I think the CO2 is used just to cool, actually. Solid CO2 is extremely cold, so it could only make the extraction less efficient, it seems. But I'm no expert on Wacky Terbacky chemistry...

verticity

I'm interested in things
Liquid helium would be ideal if you want it as cold as possible. 4 Kelvin. (You need liquid nitrogen--77 K--to keep your liquid helium cold...)

Note, the vacuum of interstellar space is 2.7 K.