What's new

Bombilla for kava?

Mesh

Kava Curious
Hey guys!

Wondering if anyone has ever used a yerba mate bombilla (strainer straw) to drink kava with? If so, did it / does it work well? does it filter the fine kava powder? does it clog easily?

Specifically, I came across a triple filter bombilla. Looks like it might be pretty decent, but wasn't sure if it would filter out the really fine kava particles.

Of course it doesn't have to be perfect, just trying to figure out a quick and efficient method for drinking kava when I dont have the time to prepare it the traditional way.

Also, long time no see guys! its been a while since I've had some kava. Should have some arriving very soon. :D

Excited to be back on the forum! :)

NAMBATU

Kava Enthusiast
What you have to realise about straws is that they slow down drinking, allowing you to taste the drink more. This is why certain rich cocktails are served with straws.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I wondered this as well. And that makes sense @NAMBATU it would take a while to drink a good amount threw a straw but also if on the go and you just need a bit it could be helpful .

I have used a bombilla that was good for powders on a kava that I couldn't strain the rest of the particles out of. It worked very well and I was able to drink pretty quick

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
If you don't mind the taste like me, that might be interesting, good call @Mesh, I have 4-5 different bombillas, I'll give it a try later, on the yerba now...

Mesh

Kava Curious
Thanks for the replies.

Good point Nambatu. In my case the speed at which I'm able to drink it wouldn't be a factor, unless it slows it down so much that it hinders the kavas effects. I doubt that would be the case though. And as for taste, there's not many things in this world that my taste buds cant handle :p

That's good to know binx. I'm now starting to lean towards buying this thing. Do you remember what type of bombilla you used?

I'm looking at purchasing the triple filtered curved bombilla from ma tea. Its on the expensive side though :bigmoney:, which is why I'm hesitant on buying it. :cautious:

I'd be happy purchasing one of the cheaper ones if I can confirm that they are able to filter decently.

Mesh

Kava Curious
If you don't mind the taste like me, that might be interesting, good call @Mesh, I have 4-5 different bombillas, I'll give it a try later, on the yerba now...
Awesome KrunkyMonkey! I'd be thankful if you could let me know how it goes!

Also, I must remember to order more yerba mate tonight. ::awesomesmiles::

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
That is the one I used since it handles powder amazingly ^
I always mix my powdery yerba with more course yerba, so that I can use the metal ones, I like the spoon shaped ones the most, not sure how it would fare with kava though.

Mesh

Kava Curious
Ok, awesome. Noted.

Although I'd prefer a metal one, that one is so damn cheap I may have to give it a try.

Is that a wire mesh filter? hard to tell from the pic.

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
I dunno, if you don't mind some grit in your grog then the metal spoon bombilla could work, should keep out the majority of the makas I would think. Last weekend my wife forgot her coffee filters camping so she tried to use my bombilla...got a mouth full of coffee grind haha.
Keep in mind that steeping kava barely does anything, so if you're looking to skip trad prep you can't just toss some kava in a cup, sip, and expect much. At the very least blend before trying this.

Mesh

Kava Curious
I bet she'll never forget the filters again haha.

Thanks for your input. makas are my main concern, the grit would just be a bonus.

My normal method of prepping kava involves a french coffee press and lots of shaking. I seem to get pretty consistent results with it.
So needless to say, there's going to be lots of shaking involved before using the bombilla.

Mesh

Kava Curious
Hey @KrunkyMonkey were you able to try out any of your bombillas on the kava yet?

Just ordered one of the metal spoon bombillas, main reason being I'm not a fan of plastic. And, this bombilla seems like it might be long enough for my coffee thermos that's about to be turned into a kava thermos :D

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hey @KrunkyMonkey were you able to try out any of your bombillas on the kava yet?

Just ordered one of the metal spoon bombillas, main reason being I'm not a fan of plastic. And, this bombilla seems like it might be long enough for my coffee thermos that's about to be turned into a kava thermos :D
I keep forgetting to try the bombilla, so used to the traditional prep

Mesh

Kava Curious
No worries. I'll be receiving my bombilla by the end of this week hopefully. I'll let you guys know how my experimental kava drinking method goes. haha

Got several different methods I'm going to try out actually. ::awesomesmiles:: If any of them turn out to be worth it I'll let everyone know :D

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
No worries. I'll be receiving my bombilla by the end of this week hopefully. I'll let you guys know how my experimental kava drinking method goes. haha

Got several different methods I'm going to try out actually. ::awesomesmiles:: If any of them turn out to be worth it I'll let everyone know :D
I am going to try it now, haven't had kava today.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Well that didn't work, it clogs the bombilla. So I dumped it through a 75 micron strainer and I am drinking it now.