What's new

Kidney stones got me, do I have to take a break from Kava ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schatz

itchin for kava
The title says it all, should I take a break from the kava, will kava effect my stones ? I had ultrasound done on kidneys a couple weeks ago because of some nighttime kidney pain and they found some really big stones, about 10 cm. Doing Chanca Piedra tea but may need surgery, they said they are non obstructive so I guess its no big deal although my doctor has not followed up with me since my ultrasound so I dont really know. Do I have to stop using kava in the meantime, has anyone had luck with Chanca Piedra for stones and by the way I had blood work done also and Liver tested great. I have been enjoyin kava almost daily for 9 months and would sure hate to break from it, Any advice is appreciated thankyou.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Ill be watching this thread. I wonder if the kidneystones are connected to your kava drinking. Ive been trying to drink more water and i know you need to drink tons of water as a daily kava user. Im curious do you notice pain a few afters after a large dose of kava?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I have been drinking kava every day for a many years. I have had 3 kidney stones but I know that they were caused by dehydration when I was doing a lot of logging and not drinking enough water.
I would say that I doubt if kava does cause kidney stones but I would also say to make sure you drink enough water after drinking kava because kava can be a bit dehydrating.
I had the stones about 10 years ago and since then I have had none. :)
I hated those things, I can feel for you. Aloha.

Chris

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
The title says it all, should I take a break from the kava, will kava effect my stones ? I had ultrasound done on kidneys a couple weeks ago because of some nighttime kidney pain and they found some really big stones, about 10 cm. Doing Chanca Piedra tea but may need surgery, they said they are non obstructive so I guess its no big deal although my doctor has not followed up with me since my ultrasound so I dont really know. Do I have to stop using kava in the meantime, has anyone had luck with Chanca Piedra for stones and by the way I had blood work done also and Liver tested great. I have been enjoyin kava almost daily for 9 months and would sure hate to break from it, Any advice is appreciated thankyou.
I know nothing about kidney stones but I have passable Spanish and the name "chance piedra" tea suggests it should work or it wouldn't have the name?!

schatz

itchin for kava
I dont think its been caused by kava usage, but in combination maybe with drinking yerba till 2:00 p.m. and drinking kombutcha which is full of oxalic acid as well as eating healthy may have led to this. Amazingly I have many friends that dont even touch water except to bathe in it and eat all kinds of s-----t and call me the food nazi. None of them have ever had stones, go figure. I drink plenty of water during the day and coconut water as well with my sessions with kava every night but maybe they formed a couple years back when i was working in the utilities install profession doing locating and heavy equipment out in the desert. I didnt drink much water back then because I would have to pee and finding a bathroom was very difficult so I just cut back on my water intake. I know it sound stupid but when you have a job to do you do what works. And I remember feeling some pain in the afternoons during that time frame, and then it went away after I started working a more reasonable job. Thank Chris for the condolences, anyway maybe I can make a nice pair of earings out of them, ha ha.By the way Chris thanks for the Mahakea and Moi, loving these and sure would hate to have to give them up. I wonder if anybody else has taken kava while dealing with kidney stones, sure would like to know instead of being the guinea pig.

schatz

itchin for kava
Ill be watching this thread. I wonder if the kidneystones are connected to your kava drinking. Ive been trying to drink more water and i know you need to drink tons of water as a daily kava user. Im curious do you notice pain a few afters after a large dose of kava?
Actually my pain feels better after the kava session until the middle of the night when I roll over, so I cant really blame the kava and dont want to.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
My thoughts as well. it would be nice if we knew just how much kava-linked dehydration affects people vs other diuretics/astringents/etc. I do notice that kava dehydration seems to feel different from classic dehydration. I get headaches from kava dehydration as a first sign, whereas with other instances I've been dehydrated, headache is definitely not the first sign. We know it has an antibacterial effect that targets the urinary tract, perhaps there is a more localized dehydration that goes with that... I don't know enough about human biology to know if that makes any sense though. I do think that the only substance/food that I have tried that is more dehydrating than kava is alcohol.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
My thoughts as well. it would be nice if we knew just how much kava-linked dehydration affects people vs other diuretics/astringents/etc. I do notice that kava dehydration seems to feel different from classic dehydration. I get headaches from kava dehydration as a first sign, whereas with other instances I've been dehydrated, headache is definitely not the first sign. We know it has an antibacterial effect that targets the urinary tract, perhaps there is a more localized dehydration that goes with that... I don't know enough about human biology to know if that makes any sense though. I do think that the only substance/food that I have tried that is more dehydrating than kava is alcohol.
Before I went on holiday a few weeks ago I had been drinking 6 to 8 tbsps. of kava a day for months and I was getting pretty dehydrated especially if I had yerba mate in the morning. When you're drinking that much kava it's almost impossible to keep completely hydrated all of the time. I would drink up to 4 litres of water a day with electrolytes added and still struggle. It's just one of those things I think.

schatz

itchin for kava
maybe we should do a poll of number of people who have been diagnosed with kidney stones post-kava
We need that poll, I am not blaming kava by any stretch of the imagination I just would like to know if anybody else has done kava while haveing a bout of the dreaded stones. Especially as big as mine were reported to be.

schatz

itchin for kava
I have been drinking kava every day for a many years. I have had 3 kidney stones but I know that they were caused by dehydration when I was doing a lot of logging and not drinking enough water.
I would say that I doubt if kava does cause kidney stones but I would also say to make sure you drink enough water after drinking kava because kava can be a bit dehydrating.
I had the stones about 10 years ago and since then I have had none. :)
I hated those things, I can feel for you. Aloha.

Chris
Were you partaking in kava at the time? Just curious.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
As I always say, remember that eating fruits or veggies that have water "locked in" their structure is better for hydration than drinking water.

"Healthy hydration is about the water you hold in the body, not the water you drink that passes straight through."
In fact, drinking too much water can actually be detrimental as it can deplete the body of vitamins and minerals by flushing them from the body too quickly.
There's nothing wrong with drinking water, but if we don't improve the capacity to get it into our cells and keep it there, it goes straight into the toilet without doing us any good. You can drink eight glasses of water - and while that is still a way of putting water into your body, it could mean eight trips to the bathroom without it actually reaching your cells. But the water consumed via food is absorbed differently. this is because it's surrounded by other molecules that help it get into our cells more easily, and work to keep it in our system longer. When we eat water-rich foods, we absorb water more slowly because it is trapped in the structure of these foods. That slow absorption means the water in food stays in our bodies longer, and brings a multitude of additional benefits. In fact, studies show that fruit and vegetables can hydrate the body twice as effectively as a glass of water. Take a cucumber, for example. The vegetable is 96 per cent water and might only deliver under 100 millilitres of liquid, but you'll absorb all of that liquid in a way your body can use, while getting nutrients at the same time." http://m.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11592281

schatz

itchin for kava
Very interesting, although here in Az. wedont have those apparattuses until fair time ha ha. But seriously in my case I dont think I necessarily want to dislodge my 2 10 cm. non obstructed stones without shrinking them. Thats why I am drinking the Chanka Piedra tea as an experiment, its reported to work very well for gelling and breaking down uric acid in the body, also works really well for gout. I will take another ultrasound or maybe a cat scan even though I dont like them in a few weeks unless I have to make an emergency trip to the hospital and see if it works and let you all know whats happens. It might be interesting, sure whish somebody would reply that did kava while dealing with known kidney stones, oh well, last night it sure made them happy, so will keep doing for now until body tells me otherwise. Thanks all.

schatz

itchin for kava
As I always say, remember that eating fruits or veggies that have water "locked in" their structure is better for hydration than drinking water.

"Healthy hydration is about the water you hold in the body, not the water you drink that passes straight through."
In fact, drinking too much water can actually be detrimental as it can deplete the body of vitamins and minerals by flushing them from the body too quickly.
There's nothing wrong with drinking water, but if we don't improve the capacity to get it into our cells and keep it there, it goes straight into the toilet without doing us any good. You can drink eight glasses of water - and while that is still a way of putting water into your body, it could mean eight trips to the bathroom without it actually reaching your cells. But the water consumed via food is absorbed differently. this is because it's surrounded by other molecules that help it get into our cells more easily, and work to keep it in our system longer. When we eat water-rich foods, we absorb water more slowly because it is trapped in the structure of these foods. That slow absorption means the water in food stays in our bodies longer, and brings a multitude of additional benefits. In fact, studies show that fruit and vegetables can hydrate the body twice as effectively as a glass of water. Take a cucumber, for example. The vegetable is 96 per cent water and might only deliver under 100 millilitres of liquid, but you'll absorb all of that liquid in a way your body can use, while getting nutrients at the same time." http://m.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11592281
Thats whats strange about stones, every dark green veggie and nuts and tea and all the healthy stuff I have been ingesting over the years causes kidney stones, and I forgot to mention dark chocolate and kombutcha also. So every one I now that drinks soda and eats fast food and garbage never get em. I get what your saying about hydration though, it just sucks that someone like myself thats been trying to eat right all these years has to deal with this issue.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
No idea on the kava....but I am guessing you mean 10mm not 10cm. If you have two 10cm (~4 inches) sized stones you got some serious issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.