What's new

Do I have to give up Kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
After all, micronized Kava consumed through toss n wash isn't traditional. I'm a bit surprised that @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava sells it, since they don't want to sell extracts. Surely the people of the Pacific never processed dried root into micronized toss n wash blends.
There is a big difference between micronized kava that is on the market. Since I grow my own kava I have the ability to process the kava while it is wet, before I dry the kava. My process takes out all of the makas from the kava, you can not do this if the kava is dry. I posted these 2 threads that will help explain my process and it has pictures too.----
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/what-is-so-special-about-ghk-micronized.4803/
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/pictures-of-makas-in-kava.3329/
This is also following the traditional way of making kava, just with a twist. The traditional way is to make the kava into a pulp and then separate the makas from the rest of the kava. They did this by straining the kava pulp and then drinking the brew they just made.
My method is the same, I take out all the makas when it is still wet and fresh, leaving the rest of the kava, the good stuff. I got the idea for this and other processing techniques from watching the fresh kava being made from different Pacific cultures. One of the things I noticed was that they would always stir the kava and then get there shell full to drink. They do this so that they can get the fine sediment mixed in the entire bowl and then they get all that good stuff in there cup. If you stay long enough, after some time you will notice that they will actually mix the sediment from the bottom of there first second and third shell so they get a stronger cup of kava, they don't waste the good stuff.
My processing techniques uses the fresh root and the ability to easily remove the makas to make a truly great product that still holds to the traditional way of drinking kava.

Chris

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
KWK remove the makas too. Yet to try GHK micro but KWK micro is fine for my stomach.
There is only one way to get micronized kava like mine and this is by processing the fresh undried root. Some micronized kava is just fine ground root, makas and all, others is the kava with the makas screened out.
Aloha.

Chris

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
@Peanut
If I was you, I would stop drinking kava immediately.
I don't want to be the one ruining the party here, but unfortunately we are some people who are allergic to kava. You and I both seem to be in that group. For me, it seems like an irreversible proces to keep putting something in your body that you have allergic reactions to.
I had urticaria (hives) the day after drinking kava all the time, and after I stopped with the kava, the symptoms did not go away - and I switched between both medium grind and instant kava powder.

Of course a lot of other factors are in this too, and right now the kava does not have something to do with it anymore. But the kava definitely had something to do with it when it all started for me.

Kava is a herb grown in nature, and like every other herb, there are just a bunch of unlucky people who reacts badly to it.

With all that said, I do advice you to do whatever you feel you need to do for your own reasons. If your own cost benefit analysis shows you that you can bare with the symptoms and continue the kava drinking - feel free to go ahead! But if the symptoms get worse and keeps bothering you, well - If I were you, I would stop it altogether.

But I just want to let you know that anxiety can be dealt with in other ways than kava - even with substances that dosn't make you allergic.

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
There is only one way to get micronized kava like mine and this is by processing the fresh undried root. Some micronized kava is just fine ground root, makas and all, others is the kava with the makas screened out.
Aloha.

Chris
I am sure the KWK micro is makas free too, or supposed to be at least. I haven't tried any of your micro yet but I might order some next time to try it out.

@Peanut as @nhoeg says if it's an actual allergy better to stop. I would take a few days off and get a bag of a good quality instant and try that. If you still get the same reaction maybe kava is not for you :-(

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I have been doing quite a bit of research on this issue in the last couple of weeks (well, lit review, talked to numerous vendors, contacted kava clubs and scientists, etc). It seems that a small % of users can indeed develop an allergic reaction to kava. This is different to dermo. It's a rare condition, but it happens. It seems that women of European ancestry are more likely to get it but I have also met a Tongan man who developed it after years of drinking kava with no problems

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I have been doing quite a bit of research on this issue in the last couple of weeks (well, lit review, talked to numerous vendors, contacted kava clubs and scientists, etc). It seems that a small % of users can indeed develop an allergic reaction to kava. This is different to dermo. It's a rare condition, but it happens. It seems that women of European ancestry are more likely to get it but I have also met a Tongan man who developed it after years of drinking kava with no problems
any details on the observed symptoms of the allergy?

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
@Henry and @Peanut: Maybe you guys would be interested in my on-going experiment about urticaria (hives) and kava with my dermatologist I am posting about in this thread. Here is my latest post:
So I was to the dermatologist today, and what he did was to make a certain skin test, where he attaches different substances under small plasters (band aids) to the skin on my back (and these are not regular band aids - these are pretty much glued to my skin). The idea is that they easily can determine from the colour of my skin if there is a reaction to certain substances. I don't know the word for it in english, but in Danish it's called "priktest". My back kinda looks like this now:

Tomorrow I have to take them off my back and take pictures so that the doctors can examine them. In addition to the regular substances they use in these tests, he attached a small amount of LIQUID medium grind kava and LIQUID mirconized kava under two different plasters (yes, I actually showed him how to brew a batch). He said he wasn't expecting great results from it, but he would try it though. Furthermore he took a sample of my different kavas to test in the lab. He said he would do a "histamine release test" on it together with my blood. Sounds interesting....

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I remember Adil from Paradise also discussing some people he had met who were allergic to kava.

Dermopathy is annoying, but allergic reactions are serious.

Peanut

Kava Curious
Third time with either be a charm or a strike. I guess we will see. I am going to hope for the best. I am interested to hear about the results of the test. Definitely will not be drinking any kava until everything clears up.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
Kava has been a Godsend when it comes anxiety. Only problem is 2 weeks in I broke out in a rash within a half hour after my nightly kava. I laid off and let everything clear up. Tried again last night and woke up with a swollen face that is red like when you wake up hungover and a rash again. I haven't had any alcohol since I started drinking kava. Right now I am trying to stay awake from taking benadryl. The kava I have been drinking is micro from kalm with kava. I use 2TBS and it puts time in the just the right place. I read through just about every bit of info on this stupid rash. I don't want to give up on kava because as I get younger my anxiety has gotten worse and kava has made a huge improvement in my life already. Does anyone have any suggestions that maybe I Haven't seen? If I keep taking benadryl and kava will this reaction eventually go away? Is it safe to even mix the 2? I have learned so much reading here and I am hoping I don't have to give up kava. Thank you for reading my long post.
Peanut,

Have a look at my thread on this topic. I had the exact same thing happen. In fact, a number of people have had this happen. I can happily say the rash does mostly go away. I still occasionally get it very slightly, but benadryl takes it away.

Here is what I'd suggest you do:

1. Take at least 1 bendryl every 4-6 hours. Take 2 if you get a bad flare up. You can safely take up to 8 of them a day, I think (might wanna check that).

2. Get some cold pressed coconut oil and lather up with it as much as you can. I was doing it at least twice a day.

3. Drink lots and lots of water.

I would definitely switch to medium grind and traditional prep. Use a good strainer. I tried some micro and it causes problems for me. Just keep taking the benadryl and drinking traditional prep kava. The rash will likely pass.

I did a TON of research on this forum and others and found that most people who get this rash and stick to drinking Kava, find that the rash goes away.

Good luck.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I remember Adil from Paradise also discussing some people he had met who were allergic to kava.

Dermopathy is annoying, but allergic reactions are serious.
I have mentioned before that I know of several people that are actually allergic to kava, an actual reaction to kava. One of them was the president of the largest farm in Hawaii back in the early 1990's. Imagine that the president of a kava growing company and he can't drink kava and I know him well and he really liked kava but he cant touch it because of his allergy. Aloha.

Chris

ThePiper

Kava Lover
@KrunkMunster

I wouldnt suggest taking benedryl 8 times a day, especially for a prolonged period of time. Recent studies have linked it to dementia and it is a delirient in acute doses. I checked and you're right the guidelines say up to 8 pills per day, provided they are the 25mg ones. Just a word of caution, i took them a lot when I was a kid and now if i take even one pill before bed i get delirious and restless. 2 pills gives me mild hallucinations that are very unsettling like i hear random gibberish sentences repeated over and over in my head (not through my ears) and i can get quite confused. I understand i have developed a sensitivity but i can see how it could lead to dementia with prolonged use. Most people will be fine but i heavily discourage taking 8 pills a day!

Chocoholic

Kava Curious
I recently developed facial swelling after drinking micronized kava. I then used the micronized kava to make a kava syrup. One of the steps in making the syrup is straining. I have not had the swelling since preparing the micronized kava in this manner.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
@KrunkMunster

I wouldnt suggest taking benedryl 8 times a day, especially for a prolonged period of time. Recent studies have linked it to dementia and it is a delirient in acute doses. I checked and you're right the guidelines say up to 8 pills per day, provided they are the 25mg ones. Just a word of caution, i took them a lot when I was a kid and now if i take even one pill before bed i get delirious and restless. 2 pills gives me mild hallucinations that are very unsettling like i hear random gibberish sentences repeated over and over in my head (not through my ears) and i can get quite confused. I understand i have developed a sensitivity but i can see how it could lead to dementia with prolonged use. Most people will be fine but i heavily discourage taking 8 pills a day!
All of this is totally true. Benadryl is insanely strong and should only be used during serious allergic reactions.

violet

Do all things with love
@KrunkMunster

I could have written this word for word. Low doses of benadryl give me paradoxical reactions, causing agitation and restlessness while making me out of it. I also took it a lot as a kid, so this makes me wonder if that might have something to do with it.

I think it's also a really bad idea for someone to force their body to endure through allergic reactions by taking histamine blockers. It's a good way to set the stage for a worse allergic reaction, new reactions to things that had never before caused issues, or even some type of autoimmune issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.