What's new

Interrogatory and Vendor Updates - Root of Happiness 30% Kava Extract

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
So it was a balmy Fijian morning and I was looking through "New Posts" (as you do), and happened across a post by Root of Happiness describing their 30% Kava Extract.
A quick aside before we get to the reason for the product alert:
They falsely advertise this as a Polynesian product despite it being of Melanesian origin. Cultural ignorance, or deliberate attempt to mislead? Who knows, but assuming the later, Melanesians would find this offensive. The terms Melanesian and Polynesian carry connotations that one would be a fool to ignore. If one considers kava produced by Polynesians to be more marketable to your demographic, then source your kava from Tonga, Samoa, or Hawaii.
That said, this might just be ignorance. The vendor has another product they claim to grow in their own farm in "Western" Samoa. The nation dropped that name two decades ago.

Anyway, let's get to why you should avoid this product:

First, let's read the product description. Their own words. I've highlighted the pertinent points for you.

There you have it. Something I'm sure we all agree with here on KavaForums.

And now here's a pic of the COA for this product:
NOTE TO MODS: I have edited out any information that the vendor has said is incorrect. I have also removed my "reaction" to it.

NOTE TO READERS: The vendor has responded and clarified the situation here

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
That was great, perhaps we will be accused of being too pedantic or meticulous, but I really got a good chuckle out of the product description's selling points being completely negated by it's own CoA.
If it was feared that 'Melanesian' wasn't a familiar enough word for the market, here are some suitable alternatives that evoke the same vibe and imagery...but would also still be true to the kava's source:
Fijian Gold, Pacific Gold, Island Gold...ᵇʸ ʷᵃʸ ᵒᶠ ᶜʰᶦᶰᵃ china china!

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
It took me awhile to figure out what you were talking about (I'm slow in my old age). But I finally did.

Well fuck... I just ordered some this morning just to check it out. So do you believe there is a real problem with this product, or are you just pointing out the irony of the hype vs the COA?

I don't really know if the product name is a big deal or not. I guess they could have called it Beijing Gold and I might still have bought it, if it's a reputable dealer.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
So do you believe there is a real problem with this product, or are you just pointing out the irony of the hype vs the COA?
I wouldn't touch a chinese kava product with a ten foot pole. And it seems neither would Root Of Happiness. The text in red is their own writing. They say that chinese kava extracts can't be trusted, as opposed to kava that is "produced by experts in the Kava industry". They basically say don't buy chinese kava extracts, buy Root of Happiness kava extract.

And then we find out via the COA that they're selling repackaged chinese kava extract.

The claims they make:
- the kava is Boroguru from Vanuatu.
- the extract is made by Root of Happiness.
- their extract is better than chinese kava extract which is probably tudei and not to be trusted

What the COA says:
- the kava is grown in Fiji
- the extract was made in China.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
I'm not even clear on what the product is exactly, is it instant ? Can instant be guaranteed 30% kavalactones ?
Since the CoA says it's processed in China, are we to believe they did a traditional water extraction and then evaporated the water to make the instant ? If the packaging claims 99% of Chinese produced kava is tudei(where did they get this number?) and the CoA reveals that this kava was actually processed in China, does that mean their product has a 99% chance of being a tudei extract. Maybe..maybe not...but it's all so unclear with the contradictory packaging and CoA information.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
hmmmm. very weird because on one hand you have to respect they publish a COA, not even GHK will do that. Maybe we can get @Tyler to weigh in.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
you'll be doin' some good guinea piggin'...let us know how they are and what they compare to. i'd guess that they will feel like kava, you may even enjoy some of them...but their quality will be suspicious despite the enjoyment.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I believe it is kava from their Fijian source, sent to China for processing, but don't quote me on that.

As for the name. Sure it's not 100% accurate but kava grows in Polynesia, so whatever. I doubt anybody would make a stink if Polynesian Gold was made using kava from Florida. It's marketing. I understand that people that are really into kava and spend a lot of time in forums care about specifics like that but the vast majority of customers probably just want a quality product. I suggest @HeadHodge lets everybody know if it is that.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I'm not even clear on what the product is exactly, is it instant ? Can instant be guaranteed 30% kavalactones ?
Since the CoA says it's processed in China, are we to believe they did a traditional water extraction and then evaporated the water to make the instant ? If the packaging claims 99% of Chinese produced kava is tudei(where did they get this number?) and the CoA reveals that this kava was actually processed in China, does that mean their product has a 99% chance of being a tudei extract. Maybe..maybe not...but it's all so unclear with the contradictory packaging and CoA information.
The way that the powder extracts like this are made is by using a carrier like dextrose, they measure the kavalactones of the concentrated extract mostly a CO2 extract and then they will calculate how much carrier to add to get to the 30% kavalactones or what ever they are trying to get. Aloha.

Chris

Reactions: FYS

FYS

Shell Shocked
The way that the powder extracts like this are made is by using a carrier like dextrose, they measure the kavalactones of the concentrated extract mostly a CO2 extract and then they will calculate how much carrier to add to get to the 30% kavalactones or what ever they are trying to get. Aloha.

Chris
When you say dextrose do you mean straight dextrose? After seeing some powdered extracts I've been curious about them because there is not much info out there on them and their methods of preparation and have been wondering if you could take an extract with a high percentage of kavalactones and mix it with N-ZORBIT M to turn it into a powder but that requires a fairly high lipid content. I guess if there isn't enough fat content you could use a shelf stable fat with it to get it to powder.

verticity

I'm interested in things
That was great, perhaps we will be accused of being too pedantic or meticulous, but I really got a good chuckle out of the product description's selling points being completely negated by it's own CoA.
If it was feared that 'Melanesian' wasn't a familiar enough word for the market, here are some suitable alternatives that evoke the same vibe and imagery...but would also still be true to the kava's source:
Fijian Gold, Pacific Gold, Island Gold...ᵇʸ ʷᵃʸ ᵒᶠ ᶜʰᶦᶰᵃ china china!
How about: South Pacific Gold. Accurate, understandable to everyone, offends no one. Will be popular with musical theater fans.

The "country of origin: Fiji" deserves it's own Fffffffuuuuuuuu when they were bragging about how it is Vanuatu Borogu

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
It took me awhile to figure out what you were talking about (I'm slow in my old age). But I finally did.

Well fuck... I just ordered some this morning just to check it out. So do you believe there is a real problem with this product, or are you just pointing out the irony of the hype vs the COA?

I don't really know if the product name is a big deal or not. I guess they could have called it Beijing Gold and I might still have bought it, if it's a reputable dealer.
It's not irony. It's fraud.

verticity

I'm interested in things
The Cactus Kava approach of giving kavas from certain South Pacific nations random names based on words from other South Pacific nations is better, though. :ROFLMAO:

verticity

I'm interested in things
I believe it is kava from their Fijian source, sent to China for processing, but don't quote me on that.

As for the name. Sure it's not 100% accurate but kava grows in Polynesia, so whatever. I doubt anybody would make a stink if Polynesian Gold was made using kava from Florida. It's marketing. I understand that people that are really into kava and spend a lot of time in forums care about specifics like that but the vast majority of customers probably just want a quality product. I suggest @HeadHodge lets everybody know if it is that.
Americans who are the primary market for this don't care, sure. I don't care. But apparently the people who actually live there do care about the terminology. It's like the Nazi themed restaurants in Thailand. People in Thailand don't find it offensive: it's just some wacky Western symbology that gives a feeling of exoticness or something to them. But Europeans visiting Thailand feel differently...
Hitler Fried Chicken

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Americans who are the primary market for this don't care, sure. I don't care. But apparently the people who actually live there do care about the terminology. It's like the Nazi themed restaurants in Thailand. People in Thailand don't find it offensive: it's just some wacky Western symbology that gives a feeling of exoticness or something to them. But Europeans visiting Thailand feel differently...
Hitler Fried Chicken
I think comparing calling something Polynesian to a Nazi theme is a bit of a jump. Honestly, I doubt the islanders would care much. They're not nearly as touchy as us westerners are. I'm in Polynesia now. I'll be hanging out with some kava farmers tomorrow and I'll ask if they would be offended by calling a drink made from Samoan kava "Melanesian Gold".

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
I think comparing calling something Polynesian to a Nazi theme is a bit of a jump. Honestly, I doubt the islanders would care much. They're not nearly as touchy as us westerners are. I'm in Polynesia now. I'll be hanging out with some kava farmers tomorrow and I'll ask if they would be offended by calling a drink made from Samoan kava "Melanesian Gold".
You would be surprised at how offended they will be. I've studied in a regional university and have seen the way melanesians and polynesians behaviour around each other. There is always a separation no matter how good of friends they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.