What's new

Kava Strain Ratings?

liam8888

Kava Curious
hola, I am about 3 months deep into messing around with Kava, I'm interested in buying two different kinds of kava for different purposes from a vendor who sells top notch, lab tested kava, I would like

1. whatever one produces the most euphoria and happiness, i.e. proportionately highest Kavain variety

2. whatever one is the best for sleep, i.e. the least stimulating and most sedating, i.e. proportionately highest Dihydrokavain variety

are there any ratings based on EFFECTS or any other way I can quickly find out who to buy from and what type to get for these two different types of kava I want?

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
Interesting question in that euphoria is difficult to quantify. Folks that suffer from anxiety would probably get more euphoria from being sedated where old folks like me euphoria to me is feeling creative energy. Also everyone reacts to various strains differently. Moi can actually put me to sleep in high doses but in lower doses I get a nice zing from it. Fu'u is wonderful so mild tasting , euphoric ,social and so drinkable you can and I have drank it all day and enjoyed it shell after shell.The Vanuatus will catch up with you after too many shells you'll be on your way to bed. For jammin on my guitar I like Kava Times Taveuni's Secret, a nice heady up energy great focus and some nice euphoric spine tingles. I also like low doses (1 rounded TBLSP ) of Real Kava's 5 Star for this purpose but go much over that dose and I'm krunked.Dua Na Bilo's Figian Waka is great for sleep! The first time I tryed to review it I zonked out for hours from just one double ball wash in the Aluball.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
@Zaphod...have you tried any from BKH? If so how would you rate Fu'u compared to Moi, and Nambawan compared to Papa Kea?
@Kava Wolf I have tried Fu'u, 'Eau, Nambawan, and Nangol Noble from BKH.
Fu'u and 'Eau are smooth tasting, nicely euphoric, not very sedating - but not as nearly as strong as moi.
The Nambawan and Nangol Noble were both stronger than the Fu'u and 'Eau but they were much heavier "I just want to go chill" kavas.
Of course YMMV as all Kavas seem to hit people differently. Mahakea is my all time favorite balanced kava, and Moi is by far the strongest heady kava I have had. You really can't go wrong with any of these. Enjoy!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
this is great, thanks! how can I tell which is more euphoric and which is more sedating on this chart? also, how were these ratings made? like how can I tell HOW MANY PEOPLE it took to make each rating?
The euphoric kavas will tend to sway towards the "mind" portion of the slider, whereas sedative kavas will lean towards "body". These results are an aggregate of every review submitted to kavaforums. Whenever you submit a review for kava here it will impact the score that kava receives in the product display.

For example, say you wanted to see where the reviews for Borongoru from Kalm with Kava were.
You would go view the product review page here: http://kavaforums.com/forum/forums/kalm-with-kava-product-profiles.185/
You can see each kava, and the number of reviews it took to make the grade

liam8888

Kava Curious
Interesting question in that euphoria is difficult to quantify. Folks that suffer from anxiety would probably get more euphoria from being sedated where old folks like me euphoria to me is feeling creative energy. Also everyone reacts to various strains differently. Moi can actually put me to sleep in high doses but in lower doses I get a nice zing from it. Fu'u is wonderful so mild tasting , euphoric ,social and so drinkable you can and I have drank it all day and enjoyed it shell after shell.The Vanuatus will catch up with you after too many shells you'll be on your way to bed. For jammin on my guitar I like Kava Times Taveuni's Secret, a nice heady up energy great focus and some nice euphoric spine tingles. I also like low doses (1 rounded TBLSP ) of Real Kava's 5 Star for this purpose but go much over that dose and I'm krunked.Dua Na Bilo's Figian Waka is great for sleep! The first time I tryed to review it I zonked out for hours from just one double ball wash in the Aluball.
thanks for writing! I am getting exhausted researching all this lol! What I would LOVE is for you to pick me out your most euphoric recommendation and your most sedating/good for sleep recommendation and I will order em up and check em out! Hope you don't mind?

Reactions: Myk

liam8888

Kava Curious
The euphoric kavas will tend to sway towards the "mind" portion of the slider, whereas sedative kavas will lean towards "body". These results are an aggregate of every review submitted to kavaforums. Whenever you submit a review for kava here it will impact the score that kava receives in the product display.

For example, say you wanted to see where the reviews for Borongoru from Kalm with Kava were.
You would go view the product review page here: http://kavaforums.com/forum/forums/kalm-with-kava-product-profiles.185/
THANKS! awesome, what would your most euphoric and most sedating Kava picks be at the moment? If I may ask?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
@liam8888 just so you know the ratings are very subjective and can vary with the same kava, same person, on a different day. At best these ratings will tell you a sense of what kind of kava you can expect. I think it depends on a lot of factors - I am convinced that the short lived headiness and euphoria of kavian is easily absorbed by food, but the "heavier" kavalactones are not. Just a hypothesis of mine based on experience. If I have food in my stomach I can still get the relaxation of kava, but for the most part the headiness is tempered. Extraction technique is also a variable. The same kava out of an aluball versus traditional prep using hot water are very different. You may just have to just jump in and start experimenting. I know when I was new I spent a lot of time trying to pick and in the end it just comes down to experimentation.

Last edited:

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
thanks for writing! I am getting exhausted researching all this lol! What I would LOVE is for you to pick me out your most euphoric recommendation and your most sedating/good for sleep recommendation and I will order em up and check em out! Hope you don't mind?
I don't mind at all I could be more precise if I knew your prep method, traditional, Aluball or a blender. For a heady kava I would go with GHK's Moi in medium grind. It's sort of the standard in heady kavas . Works great in the Aluball or traditional. For sedating/sleep ease , Dua Na Bilo's Figian Waka. I have used it a
number of times when I've had too much heady kava and it's never failed me , a shell or two and sleep, long deep wonderful sleep is easy.

liam8888

Kava Curious
Thanks so much! I guess my preparation method is traditional with the bag and squeezing but I'm more than open to alternative methods because I find it a little Annoying LOL

liam8888

Kava Curious
I don't mind at all I could be more precise if I knew your prep method, traditional, Aluball or a blender. For a heady kava I would go with GHK's Moi in medium grind. It's sort of the standard in heady kavas . Works great in the Aluball or traditional. For sedating/sleep ease , Dua Na Bilo's Figian Waka. I have used it a
number of times when I've had too much heady kava and it's never failed me , a shell or two and sleep, long deep wonderful sleep is easy.
New
Thanks so much! I guess my preparation method is traditional with the bag and squeezing but I'm more than open to alternative methods because I find it a little Annoying LOL

liam8888

Kava Curious

Hi! :) Since you're batting a thousand with the info lately I'm wondering where can I see an index of what chemotype feels like what, know what I mean? Like ones that start with two five are sedating Etc...

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
Kavafied's Aluball works great. Kava in 5 minutes! Comparable to traditional prep. The trade off being you consume more water but I rarely go traditional since
I got my Aluball. They sell just the ball which will work in any shaker bottle and you can double ball for a stronger grog. Just make sure you shake vertically while
holding the shaker horizontal . If the balls bounce into each other you will have splits in the Aluball's screens. Any grind will work but it's really not necessary for micro as a couple rotations with a spoon will mix micro.

liam8888

Kava Curious
OK MY FRIEND! I have a 50g packet of Mo;i instant on it's way, what is a good amount to try and via what preparation method? Also, have this coming, same questions, best amount and preparation method??

Amazon product

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
OK MY FRIEND! I have a 50g packet of Mo;i instant on it's way, what is a good amount to try and via what preparation method? Also, have this coming, same questions, best amount and preparation method??

Amazon product
Instant is instant so very little prep at all . I haven't tried GHK's instant but I have tried other instant kavas. I used to just start with maybe a quarter cup of water mix in 2 tsps instant kava stirring with a spoon till it's all wet sort of like watery paste then add more water , stir till all the paste is dissolved into the water ( you don't want to leave any of the good stuff on the bottom of the cup or bowl your using) and drink it...fast because the taste is hard to take for most new to kava. With instant you can stir it into any drink (non alcoholic drink) like juice to help if you can't handle the taste right away. The Dua Na Bilo is medium grind and so traditional prep,