What's new

Anyone tried Kalm With Kava Concentrate- Still trying to suss out if I'm a 'reactor'

Status
Not open for further replies.

KavaSmurf

Kava Curious
Hi Gang (hope this is the right forum, I felt it was time to move out of the newbie forum in the hopes of getting some more wisdom.)
I am trying to suss out whether I just might not be reactive to kava. It's been 3 months now, and I've tried all the highly-recommended products on this forum. I had a bad reaction once to Hiwa (drank too much, it would seem, and wanted to tear my skin off and burst out of my head. Horrible night.) And once I felt a kind of "ahhhh" relaxation on KavaLoveTone tablets (took them many other times and not had the same experience.) But other than that, haven't felt anything really notable with any of them. I have tried, I'd say 5 or 6 different varieties to date, and my last shot is this sampler pack of Kalm with Kava instant products. I've gotten to where I can't bear the smell even of kava, it makes me barfy and it's a full-body revolt feeling when I drink it the traditional way, especially after the time of exposure needed to prepare it. I got two small bottles of the guava concentrate and two small tubs of micronized instant.

I really like the idea, convenience and flavor of the concentrate. I mixed mine up with club soda and, other than a pleasant drink, nothing. Has anyone else used this with success? Do I maybe need to have more than 1 oz of it?

I'm going to try the micronized tonight or tomorrow, but I feel like I'm quickly reaching the end of options and maybe it's just not meant to be for me. Sad!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi Gang (hope this is the right forum, I felt it was time to move out of the newbie forum in the hopes of getting some more wisdom.)
I am trying to suss out whether I just might not be reactive to kava. It's been 3 months now, and I've tried all the highly-recommended products on this forum. I had a bad reaction once to Hiwa (drank too much, it would seem, and wanted to tear my skin off and burst out of my head. Horrible night.) And once I felt a kind of "ahhhh" relaxation on KavaLoveTone tablets (took them many other times and not had the same experience.) But other than that, haven't felt anything really notable with any of them. I have tried, I'd say 5 or 6 different varieties to date, and my last shot is this sampler pack of Kalm with Kava instant products. I've gotten to where I can't bear the smell even of kava, it makes me barfy and it's a full-body revolt feeling when I drink it the traditional way, especially after the time of exposure needed to prepare it. I got two small bottles of the guava concentrate and two small tubs of micronized instant.

I really like the idea, convenience and flavor of the concentrate. I mixed mine up with club soda and, other than a pleasant drink, nothing. Has anyone else used this with success? Do I maybe need to have more than 1 oz of it?

I'm going to try the micronized tonight or tomorrow, but I feel like I'm quickly reaching the end of options and maybe it's just not meant to be for me. Sad!
Well that's no fun. It's very rare that we find a total hardhead to kava, but that situation can and does exist. I've used KWK's concentrates before and they're pretty much guaranteed to cause me to involuntarily nap, so if you're not getting anything...try a little more?

rayken

Kava Enthusiast
Besides the hiwa what else have you tried that you would consider reputable? I noticed you mentioned the kava lovetone tabs and if memory serves me correct those come from the bad place of the kava world. anyway another reason i ask is because hiwa is a heavy kava. I'm not saying this is a bad thing at all, but rather I feel in my personal experience that it is easier to recognize kava doing its magic with a heady kava until you are able to get in tune with kava. there is no mistaking when a heady kava is at work. moi from ghk is the headiest i have tried. as for the kalm concentrate i like it though again its not super heavy. i know you hate the taste of kava as well. my recomendation would be to buy some and mix it with moi and drink on an empty stomach. the concentrate mixed with regular kava makes it taste so much better. hopefully that works out for you

Jerome

Kava Lover
Been drinking kava nearly twenty years and I want to spew when I drink it. But if you get enough in you, it feels quite nice. Subtle, but very calming.

Make sure you've got the basics down... empty stomach, strong kava, quite place, and repeat until it works.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Instant Moi would be a good choice. You can dial up the potency easily and the taste is really not too bad in comparison to micronized (KWK instant), you can also mask the taste by mixing it with a strong liquid and utilizing a chaser. I too have grown to despise the taste of kava more over the years but the effects can be worth it.

KavaSmurf

Kava Curious
I doubled up my dose with boroguru micro last night from KWK. Miserable, irritable (even my husband commented), couldn't get to sleep, itchy-twitchy in my skin, etc. Interestingly, I doubled up the dose on the KWK concentrate the night before and felt nothing at all discernable. I'm not scientist, but, if i had to guess... perhaps I have no real reaction to kavalactones themselves, but something in the pulp/plant matter throws my system in a fit? When I was doing tinctures (Kava Plus Tincture, etc), I could power that down with no reaction, but anything rooty/earthy/natural (like micros or traditional prep) not only makes me gassy and bloated and nauseated, but also seems to kick in with a shitty mood, regardless whether heady, heavy, body or what have you, if I take a big enough dose to feel anything at all.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I don't know if this fits with th thread other than with the subject title, but I love KWK concentrate. It is expensive, but it's also really really good, a decadent luxury. I don't think of it as a substitute for grog at all (except if I were taking a TBS or two a day as an anxiolytic, I'm guessing that would probably work).

Rather I see it as something different than grog. Kava-based and similar in many ways, but different, and very complementary.

SOmetimes it's great by itself, and it's always great for winding down gently after a shelling session of grog.

My fave use, is as a grog enhancer. My fave sesh now is 4 TBS waka grog by itself, then an hour or so later second wash those makas with an added TBS of waka and after downing that, have a nice 2 TBS of KWKc with 14 TBS water and some ice and sip, rather than chug. In about 20 minutes I get the best kava feeling ever, heavenly.

KavaSmurf

Kava Curious
I'm getting so jealous hearing you all talk about your experiences because I'm coming to acceptance on just not being a reactor. What a bummer. :(

Kik

Hello everyone.
I had trouble with getting KWK conencrate to work too. Effects usually were subtle ever after two servings. It hit me stronger maybe twice during two 300 ml bottles. Micronized was slightly better but, best effect has a traditional kava that I bought from them too. I always stick to the rule of having my stomach empty and I don't weight much so something bad must be with product. Too bad that KWK didn't accepted my negative review about concentrate on their site. Hope that their products will get better in the future.
Cheers.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hello everyone.
I had trouble with getting KWK conencrate to work too. Effects usually were subtle ever after two servings. It hit me stronger maybe twice during two 300 ml bottles. Micronized was slightly better but, best effect has a traditional kava that I bought from them too. I always stick to the rule of having my stomach empty and I don't weight much so something bad must be with product. Too bad that KWK didn't accepted my negative review about concentrate on their site. Hope that their products will get better in the future.
Cheers.
Kava is a strange one. A kava that will light me up and send me to the couch for R&R may make another person clean their house or not be able to move. Kava is a fickle one, but keep at it. You'll find the one that works for you in exactly the way you want it to.

Case in point, KWK concentrate. Nothing puts me out like their concentrate. Obviously it doesn't work that way for everyone. Just keep at it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.