What's new

Suggestions for something relaxing not sedating? Halp for teckneck and TMJ pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

gork

Kava Enthusiast
I'm looking to try find one that's relaxing to help with teknek and shoulder weirdness. But not to sedating. Suggest away ^-^

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
Bati from Kavafied? I didn't find that one to be sedating at all for me. But definitely had some relaxation and pain relief. Possibly Mahakea from GHK? That one is a bit stronger than Bati though.

gork

Kava Enthusiast
Bati from Kavafied? I didn't find that one to be sedating at all for me. But definitely had some relaxation and pain relief. Possibly Mahakea from GHK? That one is a bit stronger than Bati though.
HMMM thanks again! Just wanting to manage 'Tech Nech' a offially unofficial word for where neck and a (somtimes) shoulders get tight and inflamed. I simply don't know why. One of my GP's guess is when your on the tall side (me) and your head tends to tilt down a little anyway to see things adding phones, computers etc might make them work a bit (or a lot?) to much. On the hand a acupuncturist's guess is it's possible simply that and a TMJ issue. LOL so both agree it's possibly a on/off again inflimation but don't agree as to how much and how to manage it.
GP said oh just use Tinzanadine+Melixam as needed " ". (Both make me pretty sleepy). For one thing TinZ is netorius for causing all sorts of issues.
As background I asked the GP her take on KavaKava+I ibuprodfine or excdrine when I have a flare up before the goofy happy pills, have a nice sleep wake up in the morning wondering if your what the cat dragged in.
(And seriusly haven't woken up with a case of the happies and giggles like this for ages random thought while baning this out before yoga, TaiChi and get the day going)
GP Smiled with delight and blurted out; gosh..ye... mayibe! 'Frankly I'd really rather you try to leave TinZ for litterally near paralizising flare up IF that works better my husband believe it or not has some mix of that that he uses, can I ask him about you're case?'I just don't know much about that world, I'll try not to forget--call me back in a few days to remind me'
(I guess he's into Kava)
So I had an idea. It might not be a good idea. Just an idea. To see IF their really is a Kava helpful for TechNek a little while back I found that Eua worked wonders for the neck. As far as I know it's simply not in season. Regrowing it

So simply looking for something as good, possibly even, gasp, better , if they even exist. ^_^

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I recommend trying something like black cohosh. It's good for relaxing the muscles up there.

I'm very tall as well and I agree that that plays a role. For the longer I look at my phone or computer and the more caffeine I have or stress . Same thing.. it amplifies it much more on the phone.

Heady kava will make this worse over the long term!
It exhausted the adrenal glands and will cause tightness in the the jaw if your not moderate with it.

violet

Do all things with love
@gork Have you tried chiropractic care? Leaning and hunching can cause one to lose the natural curvature of the neck and spine, leading to bone spurs, pain, tightness, and much worse things if not properly addressed and corrected. Consciously holding the shoulders back with a focus on posture could be helpful. Also the neutral tongue position -touching (not pressing) roof of mouth just behind teeth- helps maintain natural jaw position.

gork

Kava Enthusiast
I recommend trying something like black cohosh. It's good for relaxing the muscles up there.

I'm very tall as well and I agree that that plays a role. For the longer I look at my phone or computer and the more caffeine I have or stress . Same thing.. it amplifies it much more on the phone.

Heady kava will make this worse over the long term!
It exhausted the adrenal glands and will cause tightness in the the jaw if your not moderate with it.
ok! I didn't know that. Thanks!

Last edited:

gork

Kava Enthusiast
@gork Have you tried chiropractic care? Leaning and hunching can cause one to lose the natural curvature of the neck and spine, leading to bone spurs, pain, tightness, and much worse things if not properly addressed and corrected. Consciously holding the shoulders back with a focus on posture could be helpful. Also the neutral tongue position -touching (not pressing) roof of mouth just behind teeth- helps maintain natural jaw position.
Weirdly not yet. GP bounced me to PT guys a fiew months back. Your right through my AkiDo warm up excersizes gently done are simillar and for me feel fantastic they incude shoulder alignment. My teacher is even taller than me (he's about foot 5/1.8 meters or so tall) and that's his first concern: Hunching unintionaly leaning etc standing off, bad habbets etc lead to tones of issues.. I think your right that a Chriopraticer in the mix would also help. The PT guys swear by 'chin tucks' and similler sounding tongue and jaw exercersize for all those reasons. Anoylingly just as I was making progress insurance guys had a fit. *trying to have a good sense of humor about that side* i'd only had 5 sessions when the insurance guys said " " that company exceded the maxumum allowed number for the year (fwap). Now I want to try appealing again ^_^.

violet

Do all things with love
There are many formulas for liniments employed in Chinese medicine. They are often used to invigorate blood flow, reduce swelling and inflammation, and relax tight tissues for quicker healing. Your acupuncturist could probably recommend something, and there are herb plasters I have found incredibly effective as well (these are the ones I like to use). Kung Fu training often uses liniments for bruise healing (Dit Da Jow) and pre-warming the tissues prior to training. Off the shelf you could probably find Zheng Gu Shui pretty easily (acupuncturist or Amazon), it's not the same as Dit Da Jow but has healing, warming, and analgesic properties. I always keep some around, and am currently assembling ingredients to brew my own.

If you are into qigong/chi kung you are probably familiar with the standing exercises. These have been very helpful to me to recognize and keep awareness of different parts of my body, especially with regard to pain, tension, and posture. Another thing to help with neck curvature is simply placing a small rolled up towel under the neck while lying on the back. Contour pillow for sleeping might also be considered.

Pounigirl

Kava Enthusiast
A lot of good suggestions in this thread. That's awesome stuff @violet. :) I'm tall too so I am familiar with the neck and upper shoulder tension stuff. I'm not sure how strongly kava works on inflammation in comparison to other things out there, but I know @Krunkie McKrunkface had a systemic inflammation condition for years that kava has healed him of. It was Krunkie also that recommended a TENS unit to me for the same neck and shoulder thing you are talking about and that worked wonderfully. I actually had one in my house and I smacked my head for not thinking of it! It did help a great deal for loosening up the muscles. Maybe you could try a many pronged attack of the problem with kava, TENS or acupuncture followed by the pain relief patches that Violet recommended and maybe it can keep you from having to take any drugs for the problem? Just a thought. :) Good luck. :)

Zaphod

Kava Lover
There are many formulas for liniments employed in Chinese medicine. They are often used to invigorate blood flow, reduce swelling and inflammation, and relax tight tissues for quicker healing. Your acupuncturist could probably recommend something, and there are herb plasters I have found incredibly effective as well (these are the ones I like to use). Kung Fu training often uses liniments for bruise healing (Dit Da Jow) and pre-warming the tissues prior to training. Off the shelf you could probably find Zheng Gu Shui pretty easily (acupuncturist or Amazon), it's not the same as Dit Da Jow but has healing, warming, and analgesic properties. I always keep some around, and am currently assembling ingredients to brew my own.

If you are into qigong/chi kung you are probably familiar with the standing exercises. These have been very helpful to me to recognize and keep awareness of different parts of my body, especially with regard to pain, tension, and posture. Another thing to help with neck curvature is simply placing a small rolled up towel under the neck while lying on the back. Contour pillow for sleeping might also be considered.
That brings back some memories. I had a kung fu instructor that made his own "secret" Dit Da Jow we would use before iron palm training. Stuff smelled like dead animals in alcohol. It did work at keeping bruising down, but made your forearms and hands tingly.
I have to second the recommendation on standing exercises - great and underrated exercise for removing tension. They are a lot harder than the look!

gork

Kava Enthusiast
@Ki Gong/Chi Gong depending on area as I understand it. . Let me see if I can find a video on animal style. One of the teachers at SanFranico's zen center used to do it with me. I am no where neer expert.. John was nice, good teacher, a smart alec, and grounded in his own smarmy way.. Their's many styles. I don't know all the styles John knew before Tai Chai in the morning he'd make tea us some of the best green tea, grumble about the'**** fog, cold and that strange iffy person who left their sandals on instead of taking them off durring morning Za Zen yesterday' his syle was a kind of a twisting style. I don't know if was just warming up. Or experimenting with different streches' Animal style popular for many reasons. Theirs lots of forms.
Animal style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irmQOzcF8xw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bUmNClexvY

ElementAl style; Only wached the first few minutes. Looks ok from that.

Sifo Kuo doing Tai Chi Chuan:

A fuller video:

Weird history and regional dialect thing: If you watch or learn Wu and Kuo, and some Sun styles. They might look similler. As I understand it on of the founders of Kuo and Wu had a argument. I don't know what about. Sun tried to get the to make up. He knew both families suposedly. Suffice to say many years later Kuo is Wu (sort of) Retreating Monkey in Kuo form is backwards. to push something (or someone) away. Some sun steps use that.

All that to show you guys a very relaxing style of Tai Chi you might like,

Zaphod

Kava Lover
@Ibbygirl @Mrbinx69
http://taichibasics.com/zhan-zhuang-pole-standing-different-qi-gong-meditation/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhan_zhuang
Don't get too caught up in the mystical stuff - but properly done it helps you align your spine, relax and sink in to your qua (hip joint), and it is more physically demanding then one would think. Typically done in Chinese martial arts to help one learn to "root" or grab the ground in manner. Hard to explain over the interwebs. Might be real hard to learn properly without an instructor. My instructor would progressively talk us through relaxing from the head on down to the toes - letting the relaxation sink in piece by piece. First few times if you are properly standing it will be tough to do more than a minute or two...with training you can build up your leg endurance and settle in for a longer time.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
@Ki Gong/Chi Gong depending on area as I understand it. . Let me see if I can find a video on animal style. One of the teachers at SanFranico's zen center used to do it with me. I am no where neer expert.. John was nice, good teacher, a smart alec, and grounded in his own smarmy way.. Their's many styles. I don't know all the styles John knew before Tai Chai in the morning he'd make tea us some of the best green tea, grumble about the'**** fog, cold and that strange iffy person who left their sandals on instead of taking them off durring morning Za Zen yesterday' his syle was a kind of a twisting style. I don't know if was just warming up. Or experimenting with different streches' Animal style popular for many reasons. Theirs lots of forms.
Animal style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irmQOzcF8xw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bUmNClexvY

ElementAl style; Only wached the first few minutes. Looks ok from that.

Sifo Kuo doing Tai Chi Chuan:

A fuller video:

Weird history and regional dialect thing: If you watch or learn Wu and Kuo, and some Sun styles. They might look similler. As I understand it on of the founders of Kuo and Wu had a argument. I don't know what about. Sun tried to get the to make up. He knew both families suposedly. Suffice to say many years later Kuo is Wu (sort of) Retreating Monkey in Kuo form is backwards. to push something (or someone) away. Some sun steps use that.

All that to show you guys a very relaxing style of Tai Chi you might like,
If you belive the history...they all started with Chen style and broke off from there with Sun and Wu styles. I started with Wu (a very compact and martial version) and moved to Chen for a while. Different - but based on the same principles. I wish I still had time to practice....

gork

Kava Enthusiast
If you belive the history...they all started with Chen style and broke off from there with Sun and Wu styles. I started with Wu (a very compact and martial version) and moved to Chen for a while. Different - but based on the same principles. I wish I still had time to practice....
Yeah definatly a case of: who might be believed. IMO All are fun and aweome in their own ways, OH that is awesome! Hmm I wonder if that's like the standing excersizes one of my taichi teachers tried with me once, felt weird, but good like your feet were growing roots. Especially because of technek issues I purpously set aside at least 10 minutes in the morning, lunch and weather permiting afternoon outside. LOL though Perhaps I need should do a bit longer.

love your avatar by the way, where'd you find it?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Yeah definatly a case of: who might be believed. IMO All are fun and aweome in their own ways, OH that is awesome! Hmm I wonder if that's like the standing excersizes one of my taichi teachers tried with me once, felt weird, but good like your feet were growing roots. Especially because of technek issues I purpously set aside at least 10 minutes in the morning, lunch and weather permiting afternoon outside. LOL though Perhaps I need should do a bit longer.

love your avatar by the way, where'd you find it?
I did like the standing it was very energizing after doing it. Much like a good workout. The reeling silk exercises were very nice as well.
The avatar is from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. A few years back I was part of a project that was not doing real well. I had to put together a presentation to management on how we were going to recover. I started the presentation with this picture. Since most of my management is a bunch of aerospace geeks they all got the reference and it lightened the mood of the whole meeting going forward. I think it is a good reminder of why I like Kava.

Status
Not open for further replies.