What's new

noob prep issues/aluball

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
So I am pretty happy with the kava experience. I went from various supplements, but moved on because I had to take a LOT and it would have been ridiculously exppensive. I am having fun trying some different kinds of kava. I am pretty sure that my traditional prep is lacking, though I like the concept. I seriously think I dont have the finger strength to do what is necessary to knead it properly. Also I don't have much patience. I have a narrow window of time after work and before dinner when I like to have it, and two little people with such needs that keeping my hands in a bowl of grog for any length of time is nearly impossible. I soak 3-4 tbs. for about five, knead for five and then do a second wash. No patience or time for a third. Anyhoo, my grog has been pretty variable in effects. I have tried a few kwk - borongoru, damu, loa waka. Still can't stand the taste. Orange gatorade is my new fovorite chaser.

So I am on to the aluball, which just arrived today - hurrah! I have two balls and am just getting ready to start my prep of kavafied supreme. I will see how I do. How long do people shake it? The recommended 30 seconds seems like not enough. Do you ever pour out the grog, add more and do a second aluball wash?

I also am experimenting with kwk micronized and concentrate, and have been happy with those, even though they are more expensive. Seriously though, they are less expensive and more pleasant that alcohol. I have had about one glass of wine in the last month, and I am not making any effort to not drink. I just don't feel like it. I turn to kava after a stressful day!

Love the boards here - I lurked for a while before signing on a few weeks ago.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Welcome to the boards, Rapunzel. One way to give your fingers a break is to throw your kava powder in a blender. I've got a dedicated kava pitcher for my Ninja. Run the blender for 5-10 minutes and then strain and squeeze. Staged washes can help get more kavalactones out too. Use less water for the first stage, squeeze it out into a bowl, the throw the makas back in the blender with a little more water, etc.

Aluballs are super convenient but they're not efficient if you only use an Aluball exclusively. Save your makas in the freezer until you have a bunch and then make a blender batch with it.

Kava will go sour if kept in the fridge for more than a day or two but you can freeze it solid and it keeps. It might be a time saver to make a whole week's worth at once, split it into daily rations, and freeze them in separate containers.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
So I am pretty happy with the kava experience. I went from various supplements, but moved on because I had to take a LOT and it would have been ridiculously exppensive. I am having fun trying some different kinds of kava. I am pretty sure that my traditional prep is lacking, though I like the concept. I seriously think I dont have the finger strength to do what is necessary to knead it properly. Also I don't have much patience. I have a narrow window of time after work and before dinner when I like to have it, and two little people with such needs that keeping my hands in a bowl of grog for any length of time is nearly impossible. I soak 3-4 tbs. for about five, knead for five and then do a second wash. No patience or time for a third. Anyhoo, my grog has been pretty variable in effects. I have tried a few kwk - borongoru, damu, loa waka. Still can't stand the taste. Orange gatorade is my new fovorite chaser.

So I am on to the aluball, which just arrived today - hurrah! I have two balls and am just getting ready to start my prep of kavafied supreme. I will see how I do. How long do people shake it? The recommended 30 seconds seems like not enough. Do you ever pour out the grog, add more and do a second aluball wash?
Welcome to kf :), Kastom_lif's suggestions are great.

To answer some of your questions, shaking the aluball for about 2-3 minutes while taking a few breaks has worked the best for me. Sometimes I let it soak in between shaking. Your patience will build up with regular use. The amount of shaking needed will vary with the kava you are using, some are very fine grind and others not so much. Always use cold water and try to shake sideways with at least 600-700ml of water.

schatz

itchin for kava
Welcome, traditional is good , but I have been loving my Alubal for a year and a half now. I usually just shake vigorously for 2 minutes and drink. Then I will do it again for a second wash for 2 minutes then take the ball out and shake liquid as best I can into the cup. Then I clean the ball and refill and do another 2 minute wash and drink. I keep repeating this until I like where I am at and stop. Usually it only takes 2 or 3 ball full. Good luck as there are a lot of ways and you will find what works best for you, just keep reading here as there are great tips to be found here and then you can then use what you like to form your own method.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome to the boards, Rapunzel. One way to give your fingers a break is to throw your kava powder in a blender. I've got a dedicated kava pitcher for my Ninja. Run the blender for 5-10 minutes and then strain and squeeze. Staged washes can help get more kavalactones out too. Use less water for the first stage, squeeze it out into a bowl, the throw the makas back in the blender with a little more water, etc.

Aluballs are super convenient but they're not efficient if you only use an Aluball exclusively. Save your makas in the freezer until you have a bunch and then make a blender batch with it.

Kava will go sour if kept in the fridge for more than a day or two but you can freeze it solid and it keeps. It might be a time saver to make a whole week's worth at once, split it into daily rations, and freeze them in separate containers.
Thanks much! I have not tried the blender method yet. I am also thinking of trying a gigantic mortar and pestle - something that would really allow me to beat up the powder in the strainer bag without relying on my fingers! Also will try saving my aluball Makas. Do you find that the grog from these is weaker? It seems logical that it would be, but I dunno?

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome to kf :), Kastom_lif's suggestions are great.

To answer some of your questions, shaking the aluball for about 2-3 minutes while taking a few breaks has worked the best for me. Sometimes I let it soak in between shaking. Your patience will build up with regular use. The amount of shaking needed will vary with the kava you are using, some are very fine grind and others not so much. Always use cold water and try to shake sideways with at least 600-700ml of water.
Thank you! I ended up effectively doing what you did because of the endless interruptions in my home I was pretty happy with the result!

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome, traditional is good , but I have been loving my Alubal for a year and a half now. I usually just shake vigorously for 2 minutes and drink. Then I will do it again for a second wash for 2 minutes then take the ball out and shake liquid as best I can into the cup. Then I clean the ball and refill and do another 2 minute wash and drink. I keep repeating this until I like where I am at and stop. Usually it only takes 2 or 3 ball full. Good luck as there are a lot of ways and you will find what works best for you, just keep reading here as there are great tips to be found here and then you can then use what you like to form your own method.
Thanks! I ended up doing something like that and it was great. To sum up - 4 tbs supreme in two aluballs. I let it soak a bit, shook a bit put it down, shook it again and repeated this a few more times. I really liked the resulting frog. It was actually one of the stronger frogs I have made so far! I also went a head with a second wash and this too was pretty good.

I need to work on getting the liquid remaining in the balls with the maka. I was surprised at how much came out when I emptied them - what a waste!

Great guidance on these boards btw. Glad I found them after sampling various extracts. They are alright if you take enough, but I definitely get it now - it's just not the same. They don't truly reflect what kava can do.

Jellyman64

Δ Kavanaut Δ
I have found that doing a second or third wash before you drink all of your kava works well. And remember kids, stir up the grog before you toss it down the hatch!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thanks much! I have not tried the blender method yet. I am also thinking of trying a gigantic mortar and pestle - something that would really allow me to beat up the powder in the strainer bag without relying on my fingers! Also will try saving my aluball Makas. Do you find that the grog from these is weaker? It seems logical that it would be, but I dunno?
It's as weak or strong as you make it, depending on the water ratio. m My second wash is exactly the same strength as my first, but I use less water. Typically, my first wash is 1.25 cups grind to 8 cups of water (hey, we LIKE grog!) and my second wash uses 6 cups water. They are the same strength, but only because I use less water with each subsequent wash.

The ratios for my post-AluBall kneaded wash looks like this: I do 2 TBS at a time in 300 ml water, then dump the makas in a bowl. After I've done that 4 or 5 times (and it might have to sit in the freezer as I accumulate more in the container till there is enough), I take that bowl of makas and make a second wash in a strainer bag with 3 cups of water. Later with what's left I'll make a final cup of grog. But each individual shell is as strong as the others.

ldvelez08

can you talk to me more about "staged washes". I usually throw 3-4 tbs into a blender, add about a cup of coconut milk and some water and blend for about 5 minutes, then strain. Would it be better to blend with just the milk, strain, then add water and strain again? Is that what you mean? Sorry, newbie here

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Tapatalk

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
can you talk to me more about "staged washes". I usually throw 3-4 tbs into a blender, add about a cup of coconut milk and some water and blend for about 5 minutes, then strain. Would it be better to blend with just the milk, strain, then add water and strain again? Is that what you mean? Sorry, newbie here.
A staged wash is where you squeeze the kava with a small amount of water (just enough to make some very strong grog) and then set that grog aside. Add some fresh water to your bowl or bucket and squeeze some more. Repeat. In the end, mix all the drink together to make something with the appropriate strength.

The idea as i understand it is to prevent the "good stuff" from getting stuck again in the makas. It's sort of like rinsing a dirty rag out in several changes of clean water, versus rinsing a dirty rag in one big bucket of water that you don't change.

I don't know if it makes a big difference. At any rate, mixing your makas washes with some strong body just gives you a large amount of kava that's all the same stength.

ldvelez08

A staged wash is where you squeeze the kava with a small amount of water (just enough to make some very strong grog) and then set that grog aside. Add some fresh water to your bowl or bucket and squeeze some more. Repeat. In the end, mix all the drink together to make something with the appropriate strength.

The idea as i understand it is to prevent the "good stuff" from getting stuck again in the makas. It's sort of like rinsing a dirty rag out in several changes of clean water, versus rinsing a dirty rag in one big bucket of water that you don't change.

I don't know if it makes a big difference. At any rate, mixing your makas washes with some strong body just gives you a large amount of kava that's all the same stength.
Thank you.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Tapatalk

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

Breakfast prep for my wife now is two AluBalls with 2 TBS each and 500ml water and some ice, Shake and decant into a mason jar then 300 ml water and some ice for a second wash, added to the first in the jar and shake together. Makes a full quart/litre jar for her to take to work. Pretty efficient and fast and at 4 TBS/L a good yield. And the makas goes for freezer mongrel grog.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Welp, my blender finally broke today. Obviously as karmic punishment for posting frog jokes.

Time to squeeze a batch the kastom way now.

View attachment 8564
What's green and black and white and green and black and white and green and black and white and green and black and white and green and black and white and green and black and white and green and black and white and green and black and white and red?

A frog dressed like a nun falling down a staircase.

Joannerd

Kava Curious
It's as weak or strong as you make it, depending on the water ratio. m My second wash is exactly the same strength as my first, but I use less water. Typically, my first wash is 1.25 cups grind to 8 cups of water (hey, we LIKE grog!) and my second wash uses 6 cups water. They are the same strength, but only because I use less water with each subsequent wash.

The ratios for my post-AluBall kneaded wash looks like this: I do 2 TBS at a time in 300 ml water, then dump the makas in a bowl. After I've done that 4 or 5 times (and it might have to sit in the freezer as I accumulate more in the container till there is enough), I take that bowl of makas and make a second wash in a strainer bag with 3 cups of water. Later with what's left I'll make a final cup of grog. But each individual shell is as strong as the others.
So you knead your makas once after you shake them in the aluball for a second wash and then freeze them?

I’m getting two aluballs and the maker on Weds. I’m trying to learn now how to do it so it gets done right :)

Transcent

Kava saved my life
Seriously though, they are less expensive and more pleasant that alcohol. I have had about one glass of wine in the last month, and I am not making any effort to not drink. I just don't feel like it. I turn to kava after a stressful day!
Same here. I have a host of anxiety disorders and I used to be in a real bad way with alcohol. After deciding to quite I switched to kava as one of my tools to stay off the nectar and the desire for it now is just... gone. Like I recently had a couple beers as an experiment just to see what my mindset would be and I don't even like or want it anymore. I found that alcohol has a diluting effect wheres kava has that releasing effect that I crave. Also I read that Kavalactones attach to the same receptors in the brain for cravings and addiction which makes sense why any desire for alcohol I had is gone.