What's new

How's the Samoan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Has anyone tried the Samoan yet? if so what's it like?
I have about 5 lbs in the pantry. We like it. It is almost nothing like the RoH Samoan in flavour or effect, which I also like, btw, quite a bit stronger and with a more heavy attitude, more nighttime oriented. The RoH is a perfect breakfast or workplace kava.

hyperdown

Kava Curious
I've tried the Samoan a few times now. It's good, but not what I'd call great. It's social, relaxing, clear-headed. It doesn't seems as potent as I'd like, but it's not bad.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I've tried the Samoan a few times now. It's good, but not what I'd call great. It's social, relaxing, clear-headed. It doesn't seems as potent as I'd like, but it's not bad.
How strong do you make it? It's definitely "social, relaxing, clear-headed" and with a distinctive and delicious taste. But I find if I make it at just my usual proportions (2 Aluballs using 4 TBS is 500ml first wash 400ml second wash) it's plenty strong, not super strong, but stronger than the average kava. And more alcohol-like in some ways, all of them good, so I think if I ever had the craving to have a couple beers Samoan would be the first kava I'd reach for.

But I have no inclination to prep it stronger, say 400mls and 300 mls of first and second wash, or triple ball it, that would be more than I could handle, I think.

gork

Kava Enthusiast
Seems to be a common theme with Kava at the moment.

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
If by clear headed people mean your head is in about the same state as it was before you drank the kava, then yes, it's extremely clear headed. I've only tried the micronised version so maybe something comes out in traditional prep that is missing from the micro, but in the three times I've tried this, I've gotten little to no effects. I'm starting another thread about this as trend, but I would add this to the "common theme". KWK used to be my go to for micro and I was excited for some new options since the old standbys have been bummers. On a positive note, this stuff makes the micro Damu I have seem more potent.

gork

Kava Enthusiast
If by clear headed people mean your head is in about the same state as it was before you drank the kava, then yes, it's extremely clear headed. I've only tried the micronised version so maybe something comes out in traditional prep that is missing from the micro, but in the three times I've tried this, I've gotten little to no effects. I'm starting another thread about this as trend, but I would add this to the "common theme". KWK used to be my go to for micro and I was excited for some new options since the old standbys have been bummers. On a positive note, this stuff makes the micro Damu I have seem more potent.
That's a good idea. One thing people on this forum seem to have lost a bit of sight of is KavaKava might be best looked at as a mix of beer and soda. Ie something some people might like others not at all. I seriusly doubt it does as much as some of the posters here clame. And just because it's natural simply does not meen it doesn't come with issues. Or possible even as good idea for some people. Sugers (for example) are natural. But more than a very small amount is infamous for causing a lot of issues.
I am skeptical anyone even me NEEDS Kava's hell it's everyons body is different and Kava's very a ton. So one kava might be something someone liked someone else might have gotten sick from it. Telling people about both is a good idea.
I also don't get this need quite a few people have for overly defending some vendors. Or even saying all of a vendors drinks are bad or all of them are ok or good.
On game forums people will say wait a second here! This Class, this quest or what ever doesn't work what the heck? As a concrete example on battle.net by blizzard, a lot of people will say: Why does this spec do (thing here) or is this quest supposed just end?
Just foood for thought

gork

Kava Enthusiast
This med grind is climbing to the top of my favourites list fast.
Yeah it's not bad. For me it tooke 1.5 to 2 TBS for it be a nice little weekend treat thing with funny movies or tv for example.

My other post was more just a obeservation and conern. Seeing quite a few posts saying ERMMg ERMG I Really (big N) need this next Bag to come in. I've fallen into that trap. I for one know nah. I don't big N-need tons of kava. I might think I wan't some ocasionally, but I don't nescaliry need it. infact it's probably just a good idea give your body a time to heal from it. Go with out to get back to center. Enjoy life with out out for a bit to give yourself a chance to even out again.

Anecdotally it's pretty hard on the liver and or GI. (Looking at you 11year waka and Squanch).
On ther hand yeah, it might have been what helped me fined a really nice case of the smiles, and gigles that last few days.
I can see why a ton of people like that place regularly, I just say, hey, ya know just some food for thought. And that's it.

Then their's all the hub bub about Meh quality and eanec dotal saftey and just awkward or bad issues or just how it works with some places finally saying uh yeah this stuff is a lot younger than other stuff even from 2017.

Plus with prices with shipping for even a half pound creaping up from about 30 to at least 40. (37-38 and change) some even ballooned up to 55-60 (kava roots) that's just bonkers (120 for a pound)

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
Wow. It seems odd that the medium grind would somehow be stronger but I’m glad for the people that can find its effects. I don’t need a certain level of potency for every kava I drink, in fact, I’m sure some are actually more enjoyable with a smaller percentage of kavalactones, but after 3 tbs of micro in 20 minutes I was left scratching my head. I even tried it before lunch one day when everything works its best. I’ve got 4oz of unopened micro I’d be happy to part with when KWK sells out.

@gork - it’s rare that I would actually side with autocorrect but have you ever considered turning it on? And I would like to make a comment about the other vendor you mentioned but this doesn’t seem like the right place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah it's not bad. For me it tooke 1.5 to 2 TBS for it be a nice little weekend treat thing with funny movies or tv for example.

My other post was more just a obeservation and conern. Seeing quite a few posts saying ERMMg ERMG I Really (big N) need this next Bag to come in. I've fallen into that trap. I for one know nah. I don't big N-need tons of kava. I might think I wan't some ocasionally, but I don't nescaliry need it. infact it's probably just a good idea give your body a time to heal from it. Go with out to get back to center. Enjoy life with out out for a bit to give yourself a chance to even out again.

Anecdotally it's pretty hard on the liver and or GI. (Looking at you 11year waka and Squanch).
On ther hand yeah, it might have been what helped me fined a really nice case of the smiles, and gigles that last few days.
I can see why a ton of people like that place regularly, I just say, hey, ya know just some food for thought. And that's it.

Then their's all the hub bub about Meh quality and eanec dotal saftey and just awkward or bad issues or just how it works with some places finally saying uh yeah this stuff is a lot younger than other stuff even from 2017.

Plus with prices with shipping for even a half pound creaping up from about 30 to at least 40. (37-38 and change) some even ballooned up to 55-60 (kava roots) that's just bonkers (120 for a pound)
Not only, IMO, is a weak KL kava sometimes better than a strong one, sometimes a very weak glass of kava is just a light and pleasant refreshing beverage with mild pleasurable effects and some beneficial healthful qualities. That is not a bad thing, and is something I enjoy now and then. No, it doesn't blow my socks off, but in a winter storm, I need my socks.

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
For myself kava is a weekend treat that nicely caps off a week of physical work, so I generally stick to the balanced/heavier kavas and tend to go deeper into sessions than most. I had about 12tbs of this on Friday and melted into the couch perfectly. I agree with McKrunk when referencing this as being alcohol-like, but much more enjoyable on the mind.
Up your dose slightly if you're not enjoying this root and give it a chance to show you what it's all about, definitely worth it

Last edited:

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
I haven't had a drink in almost 8 years but I can't remember alcohol being like this. But different people interpret booze in different ways.
I haven't been around much lately but I wanted to come back to update this thread at least. The Samoan has grown on me a little but it only makes me miss the Pouni Ono more. The Samoan seems more potent than it did for the first 3-4 attempts. It's definitely similar in some ways to the PO but after it kicks in it doesn't seem to ease off into the more relaxed place Poini goes for me after the initial euphoria wears off. It's also is the first kava I remember where my standard "session" amount (weekday average I guess) ends up being too much and makes me feel anxious. Pouni can be piled on once it plateaus and it just seems to continue the mellower notes. This stuff gets unpleasant after 2-3 tbsp for me. FYI - I tend to have 2 tbs of micro in one drink, wait 20-30 minutes and add another tbsp and stop if it's enough or add another in about 15. Then I eat dinner.
Are we still working off the February batch of Poini? I will order some once that one runs out and gets replaced even if the few reviews are about the same.

Chinaski

Kava Enthusiast
I really enjoyed the Samoan Ava. Went through a pound quite quickly. I'm sad to see that it's out of stock. It was a great balanced kava that made me very happy and social

BaySailor

Kava Curious
I loved the Samoan at my local kava bar. Bought a pound and went through it pretty quickly at home. I’ve noticed as an Alumaball user that the KWK offerings are everything from powder to twigs. My last bag of Pouni Ono from them was so fine it turned to something like clay inside the balls. Anyone else experience this?

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
Just tried it the first time last night . The taste was smooth and nutty one of the best tasting kavas if not the best I've ever had. Great laid back euphoric chill effect. Plenty strong for me just that it took longer than usual to feel it. Once there I first attempted to play some guitar but just couldn't get into it so I ended up laughing my ass off with the wife . I enjoyed it very much and am very glad I tried it. I put it in the Alubottle triple balled with 1 heaping Tbls in each. The bottle was maybe half full X 2 washes then I repeated the process again for a total of 6 heaping tbls . Thats the danger with kava tasting so good is you could drink it up so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.