Status
Not open for further replies.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector

verticity

I'm interested in things
Here you go:
This bit must be a typo?

"Noble varieties are those in which the ratio of kavain: methysticin reaches a minimum of 250%.". Noble varieties covered under this standard contain a chemo-type in which the first three components are 2, 4 and 6 (in any order)."

If DHK, K and M can occur in any order, there could be more M than K, and the kavain: methysticin ratio would be less than 100%. Maybe it should say DHM instead of methysticin?

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
There appear to be quite a few typos, but that one is pretty egregious.
I believe the K: DHM method is the one developed by GS. With this method anything that passes is definitely noble, but noble kava can fail the test.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
That's a significant flaw with the marketplace moving to noble only.
All their ava is noble and they don't import from Vanuatu like Fiji does, so I guess they didn't put much thought into it. They don't police it so it's not a big deal now, but if the industry keeps growing and it becomes an important economic crop for them, things may change and perhaps they will review the standard if a false negative occurs. IIRC, GS found that the ratio increases with age, so knowing your preference for strong kava, you would not want to drink Samoan ava that failed this test.

The major concern with Samoa (and Tonga and Fiji) is stem peelings and it's a pity that they didn't give that more attention in the Standard.

While the Samoa 'Ava Standard appears hastily put-together, the fact that they've begun thinking about quality and taking steps to improve, protect, and sustain the industry is a positive thing and should be celebrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.