What's new

Drink kava then feeling like crap, what’s the deal!

Shane wyatt

Kava Curious
hi guys I’ve put a thread up about this already but I’m still having the same problems.

I make sure my stomach is empty (ish) drink as much water as I can stomach to hydrate then I have some kava, within about 15mins i feel quite good like a bit of sedation is kicking in then another 10mins or so and bang I feel like crap, headache slightly nauseous and anxious that lasts for ages.

Any ideas on what this maybe?

I’ve only used micronised so far am gonna try traditional in a bit to see if that makes a difference. Also I’ve only used heady ones so far so the next one is balanced.

Thanks.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
hi guys I’ve put a thread up about this already but I’m still having the same problems.

I make sure my stomach is empty (ish) drink as much water as I can stomach to hydrate then I have some kava, within about 15mins i feel quite good like a bit of sedation is kicking in then another 10mins or so and bang I feel like crap, headache slightly nauseous and anxious that lasts for ages.

Any ideas on what this maybe?

I’ve only used micronised so far am gonna try traditional in a bit to see if that makes a difference. Also I’ve only used heady ones so far so the next one is balanced.

Thanks.
I think you'll find the answer in exactly what you're doing by changing your prep. Micronized can be a bit more "rough" in terms of experience. Give traditional prep a try :)

Shane wyatt

Kava Curious
Tried traditional and I don’t get much of anything?

Do I need to do multiple shells? If so is it normally one after the other or one every hour or so?

When I do get the effects from micronised it’s only lasting half hour or so. Is this normal?
It’s gonna be back to beer soon if this keeps happening.
Is this a reverse tolerance thing? Like is it normal for someone to have the effects wear of quickly then last longer the more they have kava?
Thanks guys.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

Do I need to do multiple shells? If so is it normally one after the other or one every hour or so?

When I do get the effects from micronised it’s only lasting half hour or so. Is this normal?

Thanks guys.
What type and how much of that kava are you using to make it traditionally? Also, how much water are you using?

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!

Is this a reverse tolerance thing? Like is it normal for someone to have the effects wear of quickly then last longer the more they have kava?
Thanks guys.
If you felt nothing from the traditional prep, you probably under dosed. The uplifting head buzzing effect is the shortest lived and you will need to continue drinking to prolong it. It might take a couple of shells before you really start to feel it. The amount of root/water used, kneading time and shell spacing will vary with different cultivars so early on you'll need to do some experimenting to figure out what works best for your needs.

Shane wyatt

Kava Curious
I used 3 tablespoons of kava to 8oz of water (1 glass) soaked for 5 mins then kneaded for 5mins then down in one.

Felt nothing.

Like I said I get something from the micronised but only lasts for 30mins then I’m left with this empty anxious feeling

Wasn’t expecting this from kava am really disappointed. I’ve been told to try a heady version so hoping that is better but not holding my breath.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I used 3 tablespoons of kava to 8oz of water (1 glass) soaked for 5 mins then kneaded for 5mins then down in one.

Felt nothing.

Like I said I get something from the micronised but only lasts for 30mins then I’m left with this empty anxious feeling

Wasn’t expecting this from kava am really disappointed. I’ve been told to try a heady version so hoping that is better but not holding my breath.
If I was you I'd use the blender method with a big dose and see if you feel that. Try 1 cup of milk with 2 cups of water and about 5 heaped tablespoons of your kava (whichever kava really). Blend for a minute or so, strain it and then drink one cupful every 30 mins. With a good heavy kava I'd be surprised if that didn't work.

Shane wyatt

Kava Curious
I’ve done the blender thing as mentioned above.

After finishing the 3rd and final glass I felt something but I’ve got to say it was very subtle like a very mild calm, no uplifting feeling.

I’ve done on3 of my 11 year micronised Waka now and am getting a good effect but am pretty sure it will wear off within30 mins as it has previously.

Is this typical of reverse tolerance?

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I’ve done the blender thing as mentioned above.

After finishing the 3rd and final glass I felt something but I’ve got to say it was very subtle like a very mild calm, no uplifting feeling.

I’ve done on3 of my 11 year micronised Waka now and am getting a good effect but am pretty sure it will wear off within30 mins as it has previously.

Is this typical of reverse tolerance?
The initial buzz isn't really long lasting. About 30 minutes with one dose of the micro sounds about right. After that, you would take another dose to keep the effects going. A session typically consists of continually downing shells over a period of time and by the end, the heavier KLs should be built up enough to be able to feel their effects (calming/sedating).

BTW, what exactly are you wanting to get from kava?

Shane wyatt

Kava Curious
I was looking for something as a natural alternative to alcohol to help me with anxiety as I’ve recently been prescribed a low dose of anti anxiety meds for the first time in my life at 35! Not sure they work, I like the calming effect I’m getting but it only laste 30mins tops, then I quickly get this hangover feeling that lasts well into the next day. Its just like I’ve had a skinfull off beer the night before.

Think I may have to leave it alone.

Real shame because I was very hopeful after reading up about it being used for exactly what I wanted.

P.s I’m aware the medication might be an issue but I don’t think that’s it as I’ve read about other people being fine and I don’t get any other issues from alcohol other than the obvious hangover.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I was looking for something as a natural alternative to alcohol to help me with anxiety as I’ve recently been prescribed a low dose of anti anxiety meds for the first time in my life at 35! Not sure they work, I like the calming effect I’m getting but it only laste 30mins tops, then I quickly get this hangover feeling that lasts well into the next day. Its just like I’ve had a skinfull off beer the night before.

Think I may have to leave it alone.

Real shame because I was very hopeful after reading up about it being used for exactly what I wanted.

P.s I’m aware the medication might be an issue but I don’t think that’s it as I’ve read about other people being fine and I don’t get any other issues from alcohol other than the obvious hangover.
Kava is about as natural an alternative as it gets, I would encourage you to keep trying, nothing and I mean NOTHING is remotely as good as kava, as an alternative to anxiety, stress, alcohol, Mondays or benzo's. Of course it isn't, or doesn't work for everyone.

Shane wyatt

Kava Curious
i here what your saying but I’m not having much luck with it.

Like I said i feel a nice relaxation which is great but only lasts for half an hour, I can live with that cause I could just do another and so on but what I’m not liking is the horrible nausea hangover feeling I’m getting. I might aswell have a few beers if that’s the case.
So far in my opinion K@ is a lot better it is easier to take and lasts longer, even though I know you can’t take it too regular as it can cause dependence issues.

I’ve been told i need to try a heavy version, so I’m gonna give it one more go.

Thanks.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
i here what your saying but I’m not having much luck with it.

Like I said i feel a nice relaxation which is great but only lasts for half an hour, I can live with that cause I could just do another and so on but what I’m not liking is the horrible nausea hangover feeling I’m getting. I might aswell have a few beers if that’s the case.
So far in my opinion K@ is a lot better it is easier to take and lasts longer, even though I know you can’t take it too regular as it can cause dependence issues.

I’ve been told i need to try a heavy version, so I’m gonna give it one more go.

Thanks.
Also remember it takes time for kavalactones to build in your body (kind of like a natural anti-depressant), I've found that as I continue to consume kava more regularly, overtime those long term effects become more evident. A heavier or more sedative kava might be a good call, I would suggest Nangol Noble from BKH specifically because I find it to be so sedating.

http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads...ype=SmartTagArticle&TagName=ProductProfileTag

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Also remember it takes time for kavalactones to build in your body (kind of like a natural anti-depressant), I've found that as I continue to consume kava more regularly, overtime those long term effects become more evident. A heavier or more sedative kava might be a good call, I would suggest Nangol Noble from BKH specifically because I find it to be so sedating.

http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads...ype=SmartTagArticle&TagName=ProductProfileTag
I agree with the above observations. 1) It COULD be reverse tolerance. I am not convinced that one breaks through reverse tolerance for each kavalactone at the same time. 2) Heavier kava has effects that don't dissipate as quickly as headier kavas.

I would add that I am also not convinced, personally, that higher doses of kava are really best for anxiety. I started drinking this last year b/c of anxiety and have instead mostly used it for recreation. But I have a strong inkling that a 2 tbs dose of (trad prepped) heavy kava every 4-6 hours might be much more effective than a session of 7-12 tbs; (taken consistently every day). Ambae's kava is very heavy for me; but I would recommend caution with it and not to overdo it, especially the first time (which I did, and won't do again).

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Kava is about as natural an alternative as it gets, I would encourage you to keep trying, nothing and I mean NOTHING is remotely as good as kava, as an alternative to anxiety, stress, alcohol, Mondays or benzo's. Of course it isn't, or doesn't work for everyone.
agree x1000

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I would add that I am also not convinced, personally, that higher doses of kava are really best for anxiety. I started drinking this last year b/c of anxiety and have instead mostly used it for recreation. But I have a strong inkling that a 2 tbs dose of (trad prepped) heavy kava every 4-6 hours might be much more effective than a session of 7-12 tbs; (taken consistently every day). Ambae's kava is very heavy for me; but I would recommend caution with it and not to overdo it, especially the first time (which I did, and won't do again).
or do both!

There's nothing that says you can't, as long as you are enjoying your daily minimum maintenance kava, have stronger prep or larger quantities whenever you like for pleasure.

And, and this will sound radical, sometimes I make weak kava purely for pleasure. A 1 TBS to 8 oz water makes a weak shake in the AluBall, but fill te glass with ice and it is refreshing as a beverage and feels mildly pleasant. There is nothing in this world wrong with a refreshing mildly pleasurable beverage, and that is yet another option kava offers us. I say to those who never tried it, try it some time, you might be very pleasantly surprised.

Also goes great for shelling at work.