What's new

Kava Physiology Even heavy strains seem stimulating

Bitter Pill

Kava Curious
I've started on the kava again after a long break. I've been using kava a bit since buying the powdered root, things like chew and some mild e liquid. Though when my chew ran out that when the summer heat really got to me. So I decided on 2poounds of Borongoru powder. I had about 40g (I usually have them in 10g servings) yesterday and 20g today. I'm coping much better with the heat, but my libedo is so much higher. I feel like I could run a marathon and engage in a brough bedtime session.

I don't really feel any anxiety or anger which is a good thing, though I still feel really amped up which is kind of the opposite of what I should feel. I guess I'll have to look for something else to help me sleep at night.

I've been an alcoholic for s couple of years and have only just started to give up alcohol this past month. I've also quit smoking and started vaping. I'm slowly trying to improve my health as I noticed what an effect the smoking and drinking was having on my stress levels, via the autonomic nervous system.

Anyone else find this strain too stimulating to really relax with? CBD tend to mellow it out and makes me feel nice and dissociative, though I'd rather find a more gentle strain. Anyone know of one I'd enjoy more? I tend to shop at Kalm with Kava as I've had good experience with them, the declared price is quite low and they don't have "KAVA" printed on the package.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Sometimes an interaction with other drugs/meds/alcohol can cause stimulating or other strange kava reactions, sometimes people's personal genetics make them susceptible to being sensitive to certain kavas/individual kavalactones or all kavas in general, sometimes if a batch hits you particularly hard it can create a stimulation.

Try Kava Supreme or Bula Kava House's Melo Melo, see if those are less stimulating...if not, try Isa.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
Borongoru would be my "go to" non stimulating Kava. A true heavy kava so outside of that I'm not versed enough to recommend an alternative.

However, if you look at other substances like alcohol which are depressants yet can really stimulate some people it could be something paradoxical. (It's even been reported in Xanax for example)

KavaOkie

Kava Curious
As a fellow person who has been in a constant losing battle with Alcoholism for most of my adult life and finally stopped drinking for the last three weeks let me first congratulate you. Secondly, I am brand new to the Kava world and find some nights I feel a bit jittery and other night I sleep like a baby which is strange for me. For as long as I can remember even when I have drank really heavily I would still wake up 3-5 times a night. I still have that problem in some instances, but Kava has really helped with my sleep. One thing to note is that you said you have kind of just came back to Kava. The first Kava I tried was Tikaram's Tonga which I purchased from Amazon which I really enjoyed and what people on the forums have led me to believe is a more "heady" Kava. After that I purchased a lb of Kavafied's Supreme which at first I really was not enjoying as much as the Tik. However one person mentioned that I may have a different reaction to the kavalactones that are reported as "strong" versus the "heady" ones. The only reason I mention this is as I have gone through the lb of Supreme I am finding myself enjoying it more and more. So it could be possible that you could be having the same thing going on? At any rate, I hope you and I are both able to leave the alcohol alone and find Kavas that fill that need that we both have.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
As a fellow person who has been in a constant losing battle with Alcoholism for most of my adult life and finally stopped drinking for the last three weeks let me first congratulate you. Secondly, I am brand new to the Kava world and find some nights I feel a bit jittery and other night I sleep like a baby which is strange for me. For as long as I can remember even when I have drank really heavily I would still wake up 3-5 times a night. I still have that problem in some instances, but Kava has really helped with my sleep. One thing to note is that you said you have kind of just came back to Kava. The first Kava I tried was Tikaram's Tonga which I purchased from Amazon which I really enjoyed and what people on the forums have led me to believe is a more "heady" Kava. After that I purchased a lb of Kavafied's Supreme which at first I really was not enjoying as much as the Tik. However one person mentioned that I may have a different reaction to the kavalactones that are reported as "strong" versus the "heady" ones. The only reason I mention this is as I have gone through the lb of Supreme I am finding myself enjoying it more and more. So it could be possible that you could be having the same thing going on? At any rate, I hope you and I are both able to leave the alcohol alone and find Kavas that fill that need that we both have.
Ah yes, the mini-RT. Some people have that, most don't but it isn't rare. Where they have to adapt each time they switch types of kava, not like full blown RT for all kava, just mini-RT for each new kava.

I think the receptors for kavalactones in our bodies are adaptive, dynamic, and capable of learning, or at least training. Of course, I have no idea if this is the case. I'm just pulling this literally right out the ol cakehole as I type. But it feels like this might be the case.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
@Bitter Pill , maybe a more balanced kava would suit you better. Also what the other members have said about reverse heady and heavy effects could be the case too. Sometimes kava doesn’t help with my sleep in a direct way. It’s more improving quality of life and losing the urge to drink alcohol that in a round about way helps me sleep better overall on average than I used to.

Also I’ve found that starting kava earlier in the day, then having dinner and then bed seems to work out better for me. I know a lot of people say dinner right before bed is bad for you, but my body likes it.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Are you using caffeine at all? If so, I'd start by cutting your caffeine intake by at least half. Kava actually weaned me off of my absolute need for caffeine without me even trying. Obviously you are discovering that kava affects everyone differently, so I'm not sure how reliable my opinion will be; but I liked the last two batches of Kadavu Waka from Kava Time. I found them to be really chilled-out and clear-headed without being excessively sedating or stupifying (unless you really try). I am excited to try the new batch when it arrives.

I saw a chemotype for borongoru listed as 241356; chemotypes are always a bit mysterious, but I'd aim for something with numbers 1 and 3 pushed more toward the end.

KavaOkie

Kava Curious
Wanted to add to this conversation based on the last couple of nights intake of Kava. Still drinking Kava Supreme, which over drinking for a week and a half now have found that the first shake up gives me a good overall head and body calm and relax, but the following wash and following Aluball seem to continue the body, but have almost no effect on my head and calmness. I do not know what to attribute to, but some nights I feel the slight jitters, and some nights I do not. Another things I have noticed is I have to be very careful in spacing out the time of taking Kava. If I try to take a lot in a short period of time it has a tendency to make me feel sick and the jittery part of it can become overwhelming. One night when I first started drinking I took too much too fast and felt like I was going to get sick. I laid on the couch for a while and it slowly subsided and I was able to get through it and just go to bed. Hopefully I have a better experience with the Akua Kava I ordered from BKH as it is supposed to be a "lighter" "headier" Kava. I plan on posting a review after I get it.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
If I get the jitters from. Having a bit too much too soon. Last time was in the supermarket. I just eat something carby like bread or crisps. Works great. Then I drink more kava . Can't believe starchy foods get me out of trouble but they do.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Wanted to add to this conversation based on the last couple of nights intake of Kava. Still drinking Kava Supreme, which over drinking for a week and a half now have found that the first shake up gives me a good overall head and body calm and relax, but the following wash and following Aluball seem to continue the body, but have almost no effect on my head and calmness. I do not know what to attribute to, but some nights I feel the slight jitters, and some nights I do not. Another things I have noticed is I have to be very careful in spacing out the time of taking Kava. If I try to take a lot in a short period of time it has a tendency to make me feel sick and the jittery part of it can become overwhelming. One night when I first started drinking I took too much too fast and felt like I was going to get sick. I laid on the couch for a while and it slowly subsided and I was able to get through it and just go to bed. Hopefully I have a better experience with the Akua Kava I ordered from BKH as it is supposed to be a "lighter" "headier" Kava. I plan on posting a review after I get it.
I think you’re on the right track with the spacing. The carbohydrate snack is a good idea too.

One idea you might consider is eating smaller more frequent meals throughout the day. If this isn’t possible, then perhaps a light snack before your kava may help. It could be low blood sugar getting to you.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
One night when I first started drinking I took too much too fast and felt like I was going to get sick. I laid on the couch for a while and it slowly subsided and I was able to get through it and just go to bed.
That's normal when you drink too much, too fast. Some people get really nauseated with even small amounts. Stronger kava is more likely to have side effects or get you to a krunk state than weaker kava but weaker kava also isn't a good replacement for alcohol or prescription drugs.

Bitter Pill

Kava Curious
Thanks for all the replies. especailly the supportive commentv from Okie about dealing with alcoholism. It's been a rough ride though it seems slightly easier now I'm not continously poisoning myself like before.

I actually did already know about the caffeine interaction from an experience before, so I try not to consume too much coffee when I plan to take kava. I'm also on 10mg of escitalorpram and 1mg of respiridone, but not sure hoe much of an affect that will have.

I eventually mellowed out that day. I think my relaitively high testosterone may have played a role. Kava does also seem to do that sometimes. It could also be drinking too much too fast. I mean I started out with a 20g serving and drank it fairly fast. I guess I was so long without it that I didnt want to waste any time. I'm patiently sipping on a 20g mug now.

I'm starting to see the importance of being aware of the subtletes. I only really wanted enough to help me cope with the heat while summer still drags on. I really feel a losening up of the body (generally I feel very much suffocated by my flesh) and I need to drink to become more aware of that and not too the point that I lose awareness of that. What I really like is feeling the transition from pain to peace. It's quite amazing what just a few sips can do.

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
I've started on the kava again after a long break. I've been using kava a bit since buying the powdered root, things like chew and some mild e liquid. Though when my chew ran out that when the summer heat really got to me. So I decided on 2poounds of Borongoru powder. I had about 40g (I usually have them in 10g servings) yesterday and 20g today. I'm coping much better with the heat, but my libedo is so much higher. I feel like I could run a marathon and engage in a brough bedtime session.

I don't really feel any anxiety or anger which is a good thing, though I still feel really amped up which is kind of the opposite of what I should feel. I guess I'll have to look for something else to help me sleep at night.

I've been an alcoholic for s couple of years and have only just started to give up alcohol this past month. I've also quit smoking and started vaping. I'm slowly trying to improve my health as I noticed what an effect the smoking and drinking was having on my stress levels, via the autonomic nervous system.

Anyone else find this strain too stimulating to really relax with? CBD tend to mellow it out and makes me feel nice and dissociative, though I'd rather find a more gentle strain. Anyone know of one I'd enjoy more? I tend to shop at Kalm with Kava as I've had good experience with them, the declared price is quite low and they don't have "KAVA" printed on the package.
I get this occasionally too, and over time i've found with me it really, really depends on which way I want to head with the effects. If i'm tired, worked out that day, need some good muscle relaxation, Kava always works as a muscle relaxant. If i've had a lazy day and I take a few sips, I find it to almost always be rather energizing. Gets me in a real good mood, upbeat, socializing, etc. Typically, strains don't matter with this effect for me personally, which is odd. I've tried a few now, and while there is a heavier/headier side to each one, it always depends on which way I really want to go with the effects. But that's 100% just how it effects me.
Now something i've found to always help when I get a rather energized buzz from Kava to take it down a notch to a heavier effect, is magnesium.
I know Kava is a diuretic, so perhaps it depletes some magnesium levels and leaves you a bit less, chill? Taking a magnesium supplement with my Kava has really made the experience more solid, predictable, and enjoyable for me, perhaps that would work for you as well. I only do a rather low dose of magnesium, 130 mg (I take it 3 times a day, but I always take my last dose with my nightly Kava). Given, it doesn't ALWAYS work for getting the effects to be more heavy, however it does, like I said, make them more balanced and predictable. A lot of times when I first started with Kava the effects were pretty unpredictable and i'd feel rather nervous when getting ready to have a shell.

Also, congrats on giving up Alcohol! :)

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I get this occasionally too, and over time i've found with me it really, really depends on which way I want to head with the effects. If i'm tired, worked out that day, need some good muscle relaxation, Kava always works as a muscle relaxant. If i've had a lazy day and I take a few sips, I find it to almost always be rather energizing. Gets me in a real good mood, upbeat, socializing, etc. Typically, strains don't matter with this effect for me personally, which is odd. I've tried a few now, and while there is a heavier/headier side to each one, it always depends on which way I really want to go with the effects. But that's 100% just how it effects me.
Now something i've found to always help when I get a rather energized buzz from Kava to take it down a notch to a heavier effect, is magnesium.
I know Kava is a diuretic, so perhaps it depletes some magnesium levels and leaves you a bit less, chill? Taking a magnesium supplement with my Kava has really made the experience more solid, predictable, and enjoyable for me, perhaps that would work for you as well. I only do a rather low dose of magnesium, 130 mg (I take it 3 times a day, but I always take my last dose with my nightly Kava). Given, it doesn't ALWAYS work for getting the effects to be more heavy, however it does, like I said, make them more balanced and predictable. A lot of times when I first started with Kava the effects were pretty unpredictable and i'd feel rather nervous when getting ready to have a shell.

Also, congrats on giving up Alcohol! :)
Which form of magnesium do you use? I’m wondering if mine is adequate.

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
Sometimes an interaction with other drugs/meds/alcohol can cause stimulating or other strange kava reactions, sometimes people's personal genetics make them susceptible to being sensitive to certain kavas/individual kavalactones or all kavas in general, sometimes if a batch hits you particularly hard it can create a stimulation.

Try Kava Supreme or Bula Kava House's Melo Melo, see if those are less stimulating...if not, try Isa.
Is Bula Kava House Melo Melo the same as KWK Melo Melo?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Awesome, thanks! You suggested it along with Kavafied's Supreme, which I've used for quite a while. How do those two compare?
Yeah, they're pretty similar...both with relatively high proportions of DHM to give that extra sedation/deeper vibe.