What's new

Oh no my lb is half gone in 4 days

KavaOkie

Kava Curious
Ok so for those of you who do not know, I bought a bag of Akau from BKH. I bought a lb and I have literally been through half the bag in 4 days. The Kava supreme I had a lb of lasted almost 2 weeks call it 12 days. And this is looking like it’s gonna be gone in 8-10. I love the Akau. It’s mellow it’s light and I love how I feel on it, and that it hasn’t given me the jitters at night like Kava Supreme. So the question would be what would a good middle of the road Kava be? One that isn’t super strong that gives me the jitters, but also one that is strong enough where after I drink an 500ml Aluballs worth I am not thinking I’ll just brew another one right away. And going through a $60 bag in a week.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I personally started buying Squanch waka for this exact issue. Whenever I buy from GHK, I go through it too fast because it’s so enjoyable and delicious and then I go over my kava budget for the month. :eek:
lb for lb squanch seems to go the farthest for me than any other kava I have tried. First, the strength is pretty darn high. Second, I can get more oily washes out of Squanch than almost anything else I have tried.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I consume a pound of kava in 9 days, on average. And that is drinking about 3L/day (sometimes 2, sometimes 4 but avg 3)

(for nerds, the math: 72 TBS in a lb. I make 1.5L from each 4TBS, so to make my daily 3L, I need 8 TBS. 72/8 = 9 ). My wife drinks about the same. Still, beats the crap out of alcohol and it gives a ton of benefits that are priceless. And it is fun.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
(for nerds, the math: 72 TBS in a lb. I make 1.5L from each 4TBS, so to make my daily 3L, I need 8 TBS. 72/8 = 9 ). My wife drinks about the same. Still, beats the crap out of alcohol and it gives a ton of benefits that are priceless. And it is fun.
72 tbs is subjective based on how heaping each tbs is and the actual volume/weight of each kava, my 2 cents, lol. Best to measure in grams for accuracy.

KavaOkie

Kava Curious
really appreciate all the responses! my goal was to try to drink 1/2 lb a week and only go through 2 lbs a month.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
72 tbs is subjective based on how heaping each tbs is and the actual volume/weight of each kava, my 2 cents, lol. Best to measure in grams for accuracy.
I base every measurement on level spoons and cups. It's not exact, obviously. But I issue a challenge: measure every pound you buy. Measure the weight and also measure the cups and tablespoons. I think you will find the average is about 72 TBS and that the average cup of dry medium grind is also equal to 100 g and is also equal to 16 TBS. As I say, not exact but consistently close enough it's a good working set of numbers. Yes, grams are more accurate but also more hassle, for most people.

fwiw ftr I have never been sold underweight kava by any vendor of any kind. I have had a few be over by a gram or two, but never under. In general, kava packaging is amazingly accurate, way better than any other product I know.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I base every measurement on level spoons and cups. It's not exact, obviously. But I issue a challenge: measure every pound you buy. Measure the weight and also measure the cups and tablespoons. I think you will find the average is about 72 TBS and that the average cup of dry medium grind is also equal to 100 g and is also equal to 16 TBS. As I say, not exact but consistently close enough it's a good working set of numbers. Yes, grams are more accurate but also more hassle, for most people.
Meh, I never care to be that accurate either, I just figured I'd point that out. I measure in heaping 1/3 of a cups which probably comes out to 7 tbs more then 6. :)

Exceptions being Vanu kavas that I measure in heaping 1/4 cups (4-5 tbs).

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Meh, I never care to be that accurate either, I just figured I'd point that out. I measure in heaping 1/3 of a cups which probably comes out to 7 tbs more then 6. :)
I certainly agree that after a while one can get extremely good at eyeballing things. Through trial and error we learn to intuit what is neither too much (ouch) nor too little (wah) but just right (ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

Exceptions being Vanu kavas that I measure in heaping 1/4 cups (4-5 tbs).
depends on the Vanuatu. There's Vanuatu and then there's Vanuatu. But I know what you mean. There are some kavas I routinely mix weaker, using 3 TBS instead of 4 in my doubleballs. And do a third mini wash before the makas go to the container in the freezer accumulating makas for mongrel grog (examples: VanuWAKA, Supreme, Savusavu). And then there are others that I can get a mini third wash out of, not because it is super strong but because of the way it is milled and how relatively strong it is, e.g. Mahakea, Vanuatu Noble, Nangol. There's so many ways we can tweeze out an extra shell here and there.

One thing I have been working on lately is exploiting the efficiencies of the AluBall, usuing multiple balls but with smaller amounts in each ball, but using less water in a larger bottle. e.g. use 4 balls but only one TBS in each using 2 cups of water in a half gallon jar. Shake vigorously, then repeat with another 2 cups water and combine. I think this makes a better grog than using 4 TBS in 2 balls in a regular 750ml bottle.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
depends on the Vanuatu. There's Vanuatu and then there's Vanuatu. But I know what you mean. There are some kavas I routinely mix weaker, using 3 TBS instead of 4 in my doubleballs. And do a third mini wash before the makas go to the container in the freezer accumulating makas for mongrel grog (examples: VanuWAKA, Supreme, Savusavu). And then there are others that I can get a mini third wash out of, not because it is super strong but because of the way it is milled and how relatively strong it is, e.g. Mahakea, Vanuatu Noble, Nangol. There's so many ways we can tweeze out an extra shell here and there.

One thing I have been working on lately is exploiting the efficiencies of the AluBall, usuing multiple balls but with smaller amounts in each ball, but using less water in a larger bottle. e.g. use 4 balls but only one TBS in each using 2 cups of water in a half gallon jar. Shake vigorously, then repeat with another 2 cups water and combine. I think this makes a better grog than using 4 TBS in 2 balls in a regular 750ml bottle.
That's a very good point, using KWK's second batch of Melo melo as an example, I am using a lot less since it's considerably stronger. I also think you are on to something in using less powder with the aluballs, I think you may get better extraction since there is more room in each ball for the water to move through it and extract the goodies.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
That's a very good point, using KWK's second batch of Melo melo as an example, I am using a lot less since it's considerably stronger. I also think you are on to something in using less powder with the aluballs, I think you may get better extraction since there is more room in each ball for the water to move through it and extract the goodies.
yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking, more room means more surface exposure so more extraction is possible. Also, using a larger vessel with less water means maximum motion over maximum surface area. Of course, I don't really care because using 6 - 8 washes total, I'm going to get those KL's sooner or later. What gets past one wash will get caught in the next or the next or the next.... Still, it's nice to know how to get exactly what you want when you want it. Options = power.

Last edited:

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
À pound a week isn't excessive if you drink every day, I'm on about the same when drinking dry kava at home.
When good kava was cheap ($5-6/lb in the Pacific) a few years ago, before the big export boom, I used to get through 2lbs a week, but wasn't aiming for maximum extraction back then because of the low cost. These days every ounce is sacred!

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I certainly agree that after a while one can get extremely good at eyeballing things. Through trial and error we learn to intuit what is neither too much (ouch) nor too little (wah) but just right (ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)
I spent the afternoon hanging out with a good friend/ fellow kava enthusiast. I made a really strong batch from his Squanch stash. It's different when I am using somebody else's bowls or measuring cups, it's a bit harder to eyeball it. I did make it stronger on purpose though, lol. Great afternoon. Finishing the night with some Supreme. Can't complain. :)

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I spent the afternoon hanging out with a good friend/ fellow kava enthusiast. I made a really strong batch from his Squanch stash. It's different when I am using somebody else's bowls or measuring cups, it's a bit harder to eyeball it. I did make it stronger on purpose though, lol. Great afternoon. Finishing the night with some Supreme. Can't complain. :)
I just did the 4 balls with 1 TBS each in 2 cups water in a half gallon jug thing with some Vanuatu noble kava. Did two washes, to make 4 cups total. It's really good. Feels a tiny bit more....um.... full-spectrumy. Maybe. I dunno. Doesn't hurt it, anyway.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I just did the 4 balls with 1 TBS each in 2 cups water in a half gallon jug thing with some Vanuatu noble kava. Did two washes, to make 4 cups total. It's really good. Feels a tiny bit more....um.... full-spectrumy. Maybe. I dunno. Doesn't hurt it, anyway.
which kava? Also don't you find 4 cups of water too much for 4 tbs?