What's new

Can Kava keep you up at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my first experience with Kava last night. It was with Kava Supreme with an Aluball, and I thought I took it very easy since it was my first time. Had about 200 ml total of what I think was fairly weak grog. I felt nice and relaxed when I went to bed, but could not fall asleep for several hours. Once I did, I had an extremely restless night and woke up early. This morning I woke up with bad heartburn/gas pockets that still hasn't gone away. Makes me gun shy to do it again. Is this common?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Had my first experience with Kava last night. It was with Kava Supreme with an Aluball, and I thought I took it very easy since it was my first time. Had about 200 ml total of what I think was fairly weak grog. I felt nice and relaxed when I went to bed, but could not fall asleep for several hours. Once I did, I had an extremely restless night and woke up early. This morning I woke up with bad heartburn/gas pockets that still hasn't gone away. Makes me gun shy to do it again. Is this common?
Try drinking it earlier, 4-5 hours before bed. See if that works.

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
It can take a while to get the hang of heavy kava. With repeated use you'll find it very sedating and you'll sleep really well.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Thanks @Edward. I've read that you recommend the Ozia Original candies. Do you think those would help with sleep as well? Would I also need to take those 5-6 hours before bedtime?
I wouldn't say they were that sedative. That's the good thing about those, you can use them during the day. Supreme will definitely do the trick, it just takes time to get used to.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Kava can keep you up at night, especially if you drink some too close to bedtime or if it's a new kava you aren't used to. There can also be an effect depending on the last time you had an alcoholic beverage but if you don't drink ignore that part. Finally, some people, a small percentage, get the opposite of the usual effects from kava, e.g. a heady kava will make them couchlocked and a heavy kava makes them wide awake, possibly even jittery or anxious or worried. It happens enough we should all be aware of it and consider the possibility, but also the relatively low probability.

As for the candies, they are fantastic, but I'm guessing they'd be utter crap for sleep, but that is not what they were designed or intended for. What they will do is taste good and make you feel mildly nice (or nicely mild) for a while, and slightly calmer. They have a soothing effect, yes, but no sedative effect.

Last edited:

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
The only issue I have with kava and sleep is the peeing. Kind of drives me nuts. The underlying kava effects, thoug, have never disrupted my sleep.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I would try a higher dosage. Heavier kavas have more DHM (slow onset, long lasting, deeply sedating) and to utilize that for sleep you need to get enough of it. Over the years as the focus has shifted to higher kavain and lower DHM ratios, I've noticed a big decrease in the quality of sleep I get from kava. One thing is certain, though and that is I need to take a strong dose of the heaviest kavas for the best sleep.

Travis

Kava Enthusiast
I always drink kava right up until I go to sleep every night. It rarely keeps me from falling asleep. I usually drink heavier kavas as well. But not everyone is going to have the same experience.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
The only issue I have with kava and sleep is the peeing. Kind of drives me nuts. The underlying kava effects, thoug, have never disrupted my sleep.
@rapunzel that will go away.
We gain rapid tolerance to diuretic effect . Or else every coffee drinker would be peeing all day every day
Also if you use less water, you'll pee less. So make it stronger. Muscle it down if you have to, have some pineapple on standby for the aftertaste.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
@rapunzel that will go away.
We gain rapid tolerance to diuretic effect . Or else every coffee drinker would be peeing all day every day
I wish. I have been doing this since about November or so. I try to not keep drinking it too late in the evening. But even shutting down several hours before bed still leaves me with a lot of per to deal with.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Also if you use less water, you'll pee less. So make it stronger. Muscle it down if you have to, have some pineapple on standby for the aftertaste.
That is probably the ticket. I double aluball in about 500 ml. Maybe it’s time to try the triple ball. Would love more concentrated grog anyway. I always have to have something to chase it with - not used to the taste at all.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
That is probably the ticket. I double aluball in about 500 ml. Maybe it’s time to try the triple ball. Would love more concentrated grog anyway. I always have to have something to chase it with - not used to the taste at all.
or drop the liquid down to 300 or 350 mls. You can add more grind, tripleball, or use less water and the same number of balls.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
The only time I have had a restless night sleep is if I drank too much strong kava and then just keep going - then my muscles would lock up and sleep is very shallow.
I haven't done this for years, but it is a well known effect of overdoing it.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk
I know what you mean about the shallow sleep. This is something that I experience at high doses with what I consider to be strong, buzzy, enjoyable but not heavy enough kava (Nangol, Ambae, Savusavu). It seems to be resolved by adding a couple of shells of one of the deepest heavies (BKH Melo, TKR Vanuatu, Stone, Supreme, RoH Solomon/instant) at the tail end of the session. Since quality sleep is so vital to my kava sessions, I try to always keep this class of heavy kava on hand. Great for enhancing sleep after consuming other products and propping up whatever super weak root I get stuck with when I decide to stray from my regulars.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
The only time I have had a restless night sleep is if I drank too much strong kava and then just keep going - then my muscles would lock up and sleep is very shallow.
I haven't done this for years, but it is a well known effect of overdoing it.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk
Literally just happened to me last night ... still feeling it today actually... it was from a lot of melo... any suggestions for helping get rid of this?

AZcat

Kava Drinker
Initially Kava has a Euphoric effect, and with some Kava's that can last quite a long time, and during that time it is hard to sleep. As others have suggested, drink it earlier in the evening so the Euphoric effect will have worn off by the time you go to bed.

E

Elenora Montana

Had my first involvement with Kava the previous evening. It was with Kava Supreme with an Aluball, and I thought I took it simple since it was my first time. Had around 200 ml aggregate of what I believe was genuinely feeble grog. I felt decent and loosened up when I went to bed, however couldn't nod off for a few hours. When I did, I had a to a great degree anxious night and woke up right on time. Today I woke up with awful acid reflux/gas stashes that still hasn't left. Makes me weapon timid to do it once more. Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.