What's new

Looking for Recommendations on First Kava Purchase

EtherealElement

Kava Curious
Background:
So in my Kava Experience, I've tried Kava that a friend brought home one time from a kava bar and it was pretty nice, but I only felt a relatively slight euphoria for a very short 20-40 minute duration, when compared to my friend who reported to have felt it to the point of being intoxicated. in the most lovely way possible [; This was my most enjoyable and pronounced experience to date.
I have also tried those Yogi Kava Stress Relief Tea Bag things, trying like up to 8 bags at a time, steeping with honey and milk for like 20-30 minutes, stirring for like 10 of those minutes constantly, in a manner that stirs the kava in the bags so i can get all the kavalactones possible ( see, I know a little d; ) and even after all of that, I have only ever gotten a feeling that made me think 'oh, this is alright. multiplied by 100 and I might even enjoy it.'
And the last real experience to mention is when another friend who loves kava (but i don't think does it very often) gave me, i think, 4-5 TBS of something 'Vanuatu?' in a muslin bag, which apparently got him krunk. For me, I only got something like the previously mentioned feeling with the yogi tea bags, only a little bit more pronounced. But it was actually more disappointing than the yogi because i had expectations of real kava. and yeah i know muslin bags kinda suck but i pressed and stirred it with a spoon the whole time it steeped for like 40 minutes in not boiling water.
So, Anyway...
I ordered an AluCup with AluBall (which arrived today, thus spurring my need to acquire kava STAT) as well as Loa Waka Fiji Kava from KWK based on what i got from reviews, but i found out it was going to take forever to ship so I started looking for a faster option. Looking at Amazon kava it seems like dua na bilo is a good option and i see good things about a loa waka on there, and there's even quite a few KWK products on there, but I feel i can get better advice if I search somewhere interactive, like say, this forum?
What I want from my Kava!
I was looking for something heady but relaxing. Like the Kava equivalent of a good Sativa Hybrid. [;
I love to draw when I'm in that zone, but when I have my wits about me I write in all kinds of medium. So something that might make me feel creative and euphoric, with some relaxing elements because I've heard that some can be strains can give an angsty tinge to them. But i also like to chill out at night with some books, manga, tv or movies at night and relax. Basically, anything i can either zone out with at night or will help me relax and draw/write but not necessarily give me a total mental block. I would like recommendations from the whole spectrum, like if one strain fits one activity but not another, to something that could compliment a variety of activities.
Lastly: Concentrates
I've been curious about concentrates seeing as I prefer concentrates in other areas and they seem to both be easier to control the exact dose and i was wondering if they taste better. I would love thoughts and opinions as well as recommendations in this area!

*Edit ALSO, I WOULD PREFER AMAZON OR SIMILAR MARKETPLACES OR DELIVERY TIMES IF POSSIBLE, BUT I STILL WOULD LIKE ALL STRAIN RECOMMENDATIONS, AS I AM A NEWBY. TY [=

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCED,
-eTHEREALeLEMENT

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Hmm, I've found parsing the effects of different strains [i.e. cultivars/blends] to be pretty personal (and I've found that reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt as even the same vendor/farmer will have variations between harvests). Nevertheless, I am trying Nambawan from Bula Kava House today for the first time and am quite pleased; has a real heady punch, but has not given me as much anxiety as other heady kavas have (feels like its just on the cusp of giving me anxiety and then... it doesn't); It has very pronounced body effects too. Not sure how the current batch of Taveuni's secret is from Kava Time, but that has been quite euphoric in the past. I personally enjoy Kava Time's Kadavu, but it isn't pronounced in headiness. Haven't tried Kava Bati for a while, but I used to find that to have a nice heady euphoria to it, and I think that was/is on amazon. In terms of creativity, GHK's Moi always seemed to improve my appreciation of music, so maybe that would not oppose creativity?
P.S. I'd recommend you do a quick search of the kava forums for the words "reverse tolerance;" Might give you some insights to why kava seems to be affecting you differently than your friends.

EtherealElement

Kava Curious
My loa waka came in yesterdayband Yes i think I do suffer from reverse tolerance but after a few doses I've been able to start feeling it. I used my all all and did 3 balls and 2 washes with just room temp water and it was before the reverse tolerance build up, and it was an 'almost there' sort of feeling but still very nice. Later I did 3 balls 4 washes ( extra from wash before) and chugged half of the like 30 oz or so that I ended up with, and got almost fidgety, like too much coffee, but after a while it mellowed out and was very nice. I think I just got too big for my britches too fast, and after reading it sounds like I'd enjoy it more if I drank it cup by cup over a longer time. Which is actually what I did before. But I, a little anxious to try it because of how edgy I felt at first the second time.
Today my poni ono arrived and I realize I ordered another heady side kava. This one reads to be more mild but like you said, after reading so many reviews I see multiple reviews saying al,ost opposite things. I guess I just have to look go majority's and trends.
So now I have 2 heady kavas I'm looking for a sedating/ relaxing one. Really I do want something euphoric though, so it's looking like Borogu or Vula waka. But I am only really looking at Kalm with kava, so any reccomendatioms would be super appreciated.

EtherealElement

Kava Curious
Lol yes I realize Im asking for essentially the opposite of what I first posted. But you know,
You live and you learn.
So in looking for something euphoric and relaxing, possibly on the nighttime kava spectrum,mould I be right in something like dua an bilo or Vula waka or some other vunuatu or even a hawaiian? Or should I get something that's purely a nighttime, because I do suffer insomnia and anxiety, sometimes at really high levels where anything stimulating could just antagonize me, so that I have that for then, and then just mix it with my loa or poni for a 'balanced' kava mix?

Last edited:

EtherealElement

Kava Curious
I feel silly replying to mine again but I want to be as clear as I can be:
I'm looking for the most Euphoric, heavy to balanced strains, good for watching a movie before bed or relaxing after work? Or helping with opiate withdrawal... For my cat... She's tapering off of a high dose of methadone, poor thing (;
Unless someone's reccomendatioms would be a certain heavy strain mixed with either the poni Ono or loa waka I've already stated are currently in my possession [=
I am here to seek answers from the pros.
EDIT: someone more looking and it seems like melo or Borongoru or even supreme could be the right option, seeing as I do need something strictly relaxing (so most likely heavy) and for other, more desired, euphoric effects I can mix with the Fiji loa waka or the Tongan poni oni. Right right? Lol..

Last edited:

EtherealElement

Kava Curious
So I think I'm going to get 4 oz of supreme and 4 oz of Borogu if they have it, otherwise the 8oz.
Sound right?
Hopefully someone replies because I plan on placing the order soon.
EDIT:
So I dont see a Borogu 4 oz so I'm doing the supreme 4 oz, so I'm placing the order for the supreme, and I'll wait until someone can reccomend either Borogu, bongoru, dua an bilo, Vula waka, or something else that's heavy/balanced.

thanks so much in advanced!
- Ethereal

Last edited:

Krunkjuicepunch

havesomepeacejuicewithkrunkjuice
So I think I'm going to get 4 oz of supreme and 4 oz of Borogu if they have it, otherwise the 8oz.
Sound right?
Hopefully someone replies because I plan on placing the order soon.
EDIT:
So I dont see a Borogu 4 oz so I'm doing the supreme 4 oz, so I'm placing the order for the supreme, and I'll wait until someone can reccomend either Borogu, bongoru, dua an bilo, Vula waka, or something else that's heavy/balanced.

thanks so much in advanced!
- Ethereal
Those are both great kavas cant go wrong with the Supreme! I find Root of Happiness' superior fijian to be heavy yet calming at the same time that's me tho. a bit pricey $$$ My personal favorite is Squanch's Waka i find it very balanced and very relaxing. I think ill order some now actually :) Hope this helps and Bula!!!

EtherealElement

Kava Curious
Actually quite helpful, I'll certainly need to try that strain. However, is there anything you know of that IS somewhat to very sedating but still euphoric? Could I get something heavy and mix it with something heady and euphoric when I want that and have the sedating one, whatever it be, for when I'm anxious or need sleep? Or would the squanch waka, in your experience, be sufficient for all the above?
Again, thanks.
-Ethereal
EDIT:
I actually just made a cup out of a wash of 3 tablespoons of poni oni that had gona through the aluball twice, kneaded into 600 ml water and a splash of milk, then threw an aluball of loa waka in.
It's not enough to be pronounced but the mild effects are very pleasant. I'm thinking of making another 600 ml with 2 aluballs of either loa waka, or if I can find it, poni oni ;D
It's good to know I do enjoy these strains, I just had too high a dose trying to break through reverse tolerance. Even now like 2 aluballs double washed doesn't get me 'krunk' but I am getting some enjoyable effects of less than noteworthy status on my way to kava bliss, which I have read and come to realize is a building journey.
But I absolutely need something Much heavier and moderately to very sedating, I think I'll even enjoy those more if there's one that's still euphoric. Unless that describes the 'balancded' variety like the squanch waka you described. Or unless Ilike I asked earlier, should I get more of a heavy and purely sedating and mix when wanted?
But also, my supreme gets in tomorrow and that's generally considered 'heavy' but I've seen some people call it euphoric so I'll have more perspective and might answer questions with my experience to come.

Last edited:

EtherealElement

Kava Curious
Those are both great kavas cant go wrong with the Supreme! I find Root of Happiness' superior fijian to be heavy yet calming at the same time that's me tho. a bit pricey $$$ My personal favorite is Squanch's Waka i find it very balanced and very relaxing. I think ill order some now actually :) Hope this helps and Bula!!!
I replied above but didn't reply to you, so see above.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Actually quite helpful, I'll certainly need to try that strain. However, is there anything you know of that IS somewhat to very sedating but still euphoric? Could I get something heavy and mix it with something heady and euphoric when I want that and have the sedating one, whatever it be, for when I'm anxious or need sleep? Or would the squanch waka, in your experience, be sufficient for all the above?
Again, thanks.
-Ethereal
EDIT:
I actually just made a cup out of a wash of 3 tablespoons of poni oni that had gona through the aluball twice, kneaded into 600 ml water and a splash of milk, then threw an aluball of loa waka in.
It's not enough to be pronounced but the mild effects are very pleasant. I'm thinking of making another 600 ml with 2 aluballs of either loa waka, or if I can find it, poni oni ;D
It's good to know I do enjoy these strains, I just had too high a dose trying to break through reverse tolerance. Even now like 2 aluballs double washed doesn't get me 'krunk' but I am getting some enjoyable effects of less than noteworthy status on my way to kava bliss, which I have read and come to realize is a building journey.
But I absolutely need something Much heavier and moderately to very sedating, I think I'll even enjoy those more if there's one that's still euphoric. Unless that describes the 'balancded' variety like the squanch waka you described. Or unless Ilike I asked earlier, should I get more of a heavy and purely sedating and mix when wanted?
But also, my supreme gets in tomorrow and that's generally considered 'heavy' but I've seen some people call it euphoric so I'll have more perspective and might answer questions with my experience to come.
fwiw Squanch is what I think of first when you say euphoric and relaxing. Others can do that, maybe, but that is the first one that comes to mind. Even though euphoric kavas almost always go on to a second longer relaxing phase, we usually don't think of euphoria and relaxation together, usually one or the other, but they do follow sequentially with some kavas. Notable Squanch, in particular. But at the same time, Pouni Ono from KWK will sort of do that, too.

EtherealElement

Kava Curious
fwiw Squanch is what I think of first when you say euphoric and relaxing. Others can do that, maybe, but that is the first one that comes to mind. Even though euphoric kavas almost always go on to a second longer relaxing phase, we usually don't think of euphoria and relaxation together, usually one or the other, but they do follow sequentially with some kavas. Notable Squanch, in particular. But at the same time, Pouni Ono from KWK will sort of do that, too.
I'm actually about to drink some pouni Ono from kwk. It seems a little heady, but much less so than the loa waka. So would you compare the squanch as similar to the pouni Ono?

And now that you clarify that relaxing and sedating kavas aren't really considered to be 'euphoric' , then could you please reccomend some good, heavy, sedating kavas? Something that might make me think indica marijuana but kava? I know they're not comparable but in that they share a stimulating and sedating strain each. So Im Thinking couch lock, jammin to music, or watching some anime (; super chill, almost stoned feeling if possible?( Again referring to a state of relaxation, feeling cloudy behind the eyes if you know what I mean ? Like after a good meditation session or a long jog.
-Ethereal

EtherealElement

Kava Curious
Also what would you say about root of happiness' superior Fijian as a heavy kava?

EtherealElement

Kava Curious
Hmm, I've found parsing the effects of different strains [i.e. cultivars/blends] to be pretty personal (and I've found that reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt as even the same vendor/farmer will have variations between harvests). Nevertheless, I am trying Nambawan from Bula Kava House today for the first time and am quite pleased; has a real heady punch, but has not given me as much anxiety as other heady kavas have (feels like its just on the cusp of giving me anxiety and then... it doesn't); It has very pronounced body effects too. Not sure how the current batch of Taveuni's secret is from Kava Time, but that has been quite euphoric in the past. I personally enjoy Kava Time's Kadavu, but it isn't pronounced in headiness. Haven't tried Kava Bati for a while, but I used to find that to have a nice heady euphoria to it, and I think that was/is on amazon. In terms of creativity, GHK's Moi always seemed to improve my appreciation of music, so maybe that would not oppose creativity?
P.S. I'd recommend you do a quick search of the kava forums for the words "reverse tolerance;" Might give you some insights to why kava seems to be affecting you differently than your friends.
^Read above^

EtherealElement

Kava Curious
UPDATE:
So I found the pouni Ono and from it made 900 ml water 200 ml milk into 'grog' from 4 tbsp in 2 aluballs washed twice, 600 total ml then 500. So this is what people mean when they talk about kava! Very nice. All of the euphoria without the excess stimulation from when I drank too much of a loa waka brew too early into RT but none of the excess stimulation. Feels like the Valium I used to be prescribed (still am but I don't take) but without the... Mental retardation.. Lmao. Very nice.
Can't wait to try the kava feud supreme.
But stil looking for heavy/sedating/body/nighttime kavas!! [:

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
UPDATE:
So I found the pouni Ono and from it made 900 ml water 200 ml milk into 'grog' from 4 tbsp in 2 aluballs washed twice, 600 total ml then 500. So this is what people mean when they talk about kava! Very nice. All of the euphoria without the excess stimulation from when I drank too much of a loa waka brew too early into RT but none of the excess stimulation. Feels like the Valium I used to be prescribed (still am but I don't take) but without the... Mental retardation.. Lmao. Very nice.
As I said before, for me it is really personal and trial and error is what lets you find the kavas you like (though that isn't cheap); Supreme might fit the bill for you as something heavy/sedating, though for me it is also stimulating at first; definitely leans heavy, though. A question I'd have is how heavy do you really wanna go. Along with supreme some other heavy kavas include melo melo, Kava Time's Kadavu and others. Nevertheless, I haven't found one that really knocks me out yet. Most of the "super heavy" ones just make me lazy and leave me sitting on my recliner not having the will-power to attempt anything particularly active. And you are right, I don't think kava and cannabis are comparable. I don't use cannabis, but I did when I was a teenager; I don't recall the body buzz of Indica being comparable to any kava I've tried.

EtherealElement

Kava Curious
As I said before, for me it is really personal and trial and error is what lets you find the kavas you like (though that isn't cheap); Supreme might fit the bill for you as something heavy/sedating, though for me it is also stimulating at first; definitely leans heavy, though. A question I'd have is how heavy do you really wanna go. Along with supreme some other heavy kavas include melo melo, Kava Time's Kadavu and others. Nevertheless, I haven't found one that really knocks me out yet. Most of the "super heavy" ones just make me lazy and leave me sitting on my recliner not having the will-power to attempt anything particularly active. And you are right, I don't think kava and cannabis are comparable. I don't use cannabis, but I did when I was a teenager; I don't recall the body buzz of Indica being comparable to any kava I've tried.
Ok seriously thank you this is the first in depth answer that doesn't lean away from answering just because each persons chemical make up and even interpretation of effects can be so varied. That was all info I needed to know, and Id tarted to guess most of that but it's still nice to have general reccomendatioms. So thanks and I'll try the supreme, see what I think and go from there. I'm looking for something to super chill me out but now that I'm getting effects from kava I think they'll just about all do that, but I'll still be on the lookout for a heavy one to try!

Again, thanks.
-Ethereal

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Do you have any heavy kava you'd reccomend? I just see your posts all over, so seeing as your so knowledgable I'd really like to get your advice. :)
oh, that just means I post a lot. I'm not really a heavy kava person, so you'd probably be better off asking the connosieurs of heavy. My fave goto heavies for when I need heavies would be Savusavu, Supreme, any kind of melomelo, Borogu, Solomon, a few others, but I'm really a rank amateur in the heavy dept.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
UPDATE:
congratulations, you crossed the bridge into kavaland, now as @recentreturn was so ably saying, it's now just a question of sorting out your individual tastes and preferences which will be special to you. The main task has been accomplished, though. Good liquid ratios and prep, btw, and it seems to have had the desired effect.