What's new

Kava Lapita

Status
Not open for further replies.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Didn't even know Solomon Islands made kava. I knew New Caledonia does, but I don't think they export any. I will keep watch to see what people think of Lapita.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
They have transplants from Vanuatu. Borogu and Melo, most likely. I know Garry has claimed in the past Solomon is tudei but like many claims, that isn't actually true.
Some of the "Solomon" branded kava from a certain vendor used to be cut with wild kava (or worse.) I do not think this particular vendor still buys rubbish kava... though I haven't tried it myself to see.

As for kava that's grown in Solomon Islands, it's mostly inported ni-Van cultivars. There were a few old copra plantations on Guadalcanal that diversified into kava.

tingting bak long yu
lusim hom long taem
2 yia ova mi no lukim yu
taswe mi no laekem yu
man i kranki hed i lusim mani

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
Even if it might not be timely to write a review now, any first impressions? @BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC ? Others?
Sure. I can do it now. I'll try to attach pictures small enough not to take up the entire post but I do want to show what the grind looks like. I did not have any adverse effects nor do I even feel it right now. If it was mixed with tudei, I assume I would feel sick or much stronger effects? I have never had tudei but have read about it. Not interested in trying that so, I am glad that it doesn't seem to be the case! The taste is somewhat mild but still a peppery aftertaste (Venuatu?). It is relaxing, so heavy but also heady. I was able to think more clearly (again, mild withdrawal from benzos at the moment, this is a good thing for me) and became more talkative. After, maybe, 3-4 shells of a ~ 4 TBSP total, I was just relaxed. If I compare to Bati or Supreme, I think both of those have better effects. Then again, I do prefer the heavy (more relaxing) effects over heady. I find Lapista is balanced. So, to each his own! However, I planned to drink it again tomorrow and even sip it throughout the day since I now know that it won't knock me out. Overall, a very good kava! I'll attach some pictures. :)

THE GRIND:
A bit powdery but with many longer strands. Mostly medium grind.
IMG_4177.JPG
IMG_4177.JPG

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Some of the "Solomon" branded kava from a certain vendor used to be cut with wild kava (or worse.) I do not think this particular vendor still buys rubbish kava... though I haven't tried it myself to see.
I have some Solomon in the cupboard from late 2013 that may be what you're referring to. Back then, though, true labeling was a bigger issue than it is now. I was calling out the blanket statements that can be confusing since they are only partially accurate. Solomon isn't a significant growing area and there isn't really anything unique (from our perspective) grown there but it isn't necessarily going to be bad.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Sure. I can do it now. I'll try to attach pictures small enough not to take up the entire post but I do want to show what the grind looks like. I did not have any adverse effects nor do I even feel it right now. If it was mixed with tudei, I assume I would feel sick or much stronger effects? I have never had tudei but have read about it. Not interested in trying that so, I am glad that it doesn't seem to be the case! The taste is somewhat mild but still a peppery aftertaste (Venuatu?). It is relaxing, so heavy but also heady. I was able to think more clearly (again, mild withdrawal from benzos at the moment, this is a good thing for me) and became more talkative. After, maybe, 3-4 shells of a ~ 4 TBSP total, I was just relaxed. If I compare to Bati or Supreme, I think both of those have better effects. Then again, I do prefer the heavy (more relaxing) effects over heady. I find Lapista is balanced. So, to each his own! However, I planned to drink it again tomorrow and even sip it throughout the day since I now know that it won't knock me out. Overall, a very good kava! I'll attach some pictures. :)

THE GRIND:
A bit powdery but with many longer strands. Mostly medium grind.
View attachment 9487 View attachment 9487
Looks really fresh.
(P.S. I highly doubt a respected company like Kavafied, in this day and age, would sell anything with Tudei in it without telling us.)

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

I have some Solomon in the cupboard from late 2013 that may be what you're referring to. Back then, though, true labeling was a bigger issue than it is now. I was calling out the blanket statements that can be confusing since they are only partially accurate. Solomon isn't a significant growing area and there isn't really anything unique (from our perspective) grown there but it isn't necessarily going to be bad.
I didn't think it was unique. I just wanted to try it and, hey, kava is kava. Kind of like coffee blends by certain companies are better than others. I love my coffee and my kava. :)

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

I'm super intrigued to try this kava. I like the way it made you "more talkative" @BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC. That is a quality I'm always looking for in my kava.
Yes, this is something I stuggle with, as I am dealing with slight "benzo brain", as we call it in the benzo world. Basically, anxiety that can cause one to lose train of thought or not be able to articulate words at times in an educated fashion. I was completely focused once I drank the first shell! :)

AlohaAimee

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, this is something I stuggle with, as I am dealing with slight "benzo brain", as we call it in the benzo world. Basically, anxiety that can cause one to lose train of thought or not be able to articulate words at times in an educated fashion. I was completely focused once I drank the first shell! :)
That's cool. How many shells in did you get sleepy/tired? Or did it not ever knock you out like that?

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

That's cool. How many shells in did you get sleepy/tired? Or did it not ever knock you out like that?
It was more of "relaxed" than tired. A nice relaxed feeling. Basically, it takes place of that dose of benzos. So, I just don't take my benzo and this does well for that once I sit to relax. First, focus and talkative, a bit relaxed. Then, more of a relaxed feeling and not as much talkative. 4 TBSP, total in about 2 cups of water? I mixed with a bit of ice after my first shell (the honorary first shell *must* be done with each new kava I try as respect for the cultures which allow us to enjoy kava!) and a splash of coconut milk. I drank 4 full cups over a period of, maybe, 2 hours? I like to space mine out so that the relaxed feeling lasts. This works for me.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I didn't even know of any (reliable) noble variety from the Solomons. I'd be happy to know more about it!
I regularly drink Solomons kavas from RoH and from Canopy and while neither has been tested to my knowledge, I have never had any problems with either and have no reason to suspect they are anything other than noble.

The two I've tried are different but what they share in common, and what I take to be representative of Solomons kava is that it is either heavy kava or balanced on the heavy side. Not much in the upper registers, but the foundation is solid with a deep driving bass to it. I have no idea what Matt's Lapita is like. Hope to try it some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.