What's new

Having a lot of luck with micronized kava....

DownandOutinNYC

Kava Curious
Micronized kava has been working out the best for me, but I've noticed that it still doesn't sit right with my stomach. The digestive issues are too strong to ignore. I use 4 tablespoons and blend it with some water. Is that too much? Is too strong to drink it with simply water. I was thinking about taking the 4 tbls and mixing it with an almond milk and a banana smoothie. Would tat offset some of the harsher digestive issues?

There must be something in kava that doesn't sit with me well because despite feeling awesome, I get a little nauseous and my stomach is messed up for a couple days. It gives me some bad indigestion, and I feel really bloated.

I don't want to give up on kava, but so far micronized has worked best for me.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Micronized kava has been working out the best for me, but I've noticed that it still doesn't sit right with my stomach. The digestive issues are too strong to ignore. I use 4 tablespoons and blend it with some water. Is that too much? Is too strong to drink it with simply water. I was thinking about taking the 4 tbls and mixing it with an almond milk and a banana smoothie. Would tat offset some of the harsher digestive issues?

There must be something in kava that doesn't sit with me well because despite feeling awesome, I get a little nauseous and my stomach is messed up for a couple days. It gives me some bad indigestion, and I feel really bloated.

Nausea is a good indication youre taking too much at once. Ive been using instant for years and 2 tbls per session is my max.

Ive tried bananna smoothies before and although they are tasty, i guarantee you will create more natural gas than whats on the continental U.S. and blow up!

I only use water, but flavor it with mio

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

I've been at this stage before. What I had to do was give up micronized and swap to traditional only. It angered me for a bit until I realized traditional prep can make grog every bit as effective, easier to drink, and cheaper too! :)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Nausea is a good indication youre taking too much at once. Ive been using instant for years and 2 tbls per session is my max.

Ive tried bananna smoothies before and although they are tasty, i guarantee you will create more natural gas than whats on the continental U.S. and blow up!

I only use water, but flavor it with mio
Ooops... misread your post and thought you were talking about instant, not micro.

Yes micro is very hard on your gut (I know from experience) cause it contains ground root that you directly consume.

Switch to instant, or do like kapm says and switch to traditional prep, and it will really help. If you have around a 50 micron strainer, you can use your existing micro for traditional prep too.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I would say as above, instant is more potent than micro but without the fibre issues.

Medium grind can be as effective as either and there is a lot more variety but if you're finding a big difference between micro and med grind then it could suggest you either have a prep issue or are maybe not using enough med grind in your mix.

As for mixing with anything, it will alter the taste but it's unlikely to help the stomach too much. I would say either try a few different instants until you find one that suits you or try a fine strainer for your med grind and use a good amount of powder to make sure you're getting your kl's but whilst minimising your sediment.

tarragon

Kava Curious

4 tablespoons is a lot of micronized! Try stirring one heaping tablespoon into a large mug of warm/hot water. If you begin to feel nauseated, eat a handful of raw almonds. If you are feeling fine, drink another heaper in a half hour or so, and so on. Which variety of micronized are you drinking? Some types will cause some people troubles while others may not. Have you tried many different kinds yet? What I do is to fill a large mug one third with warm water and stir in the kava. Then I fill up the mug with hot water, but not too hot. I generally take several gulps because I'm eager, then add more water and drink it as I would a tea, because I enjoy the taste. Sometimes I take some into my mouth and swish it around and hold it in there for a while, thinking maybe the active ingredients will be be absorbed sublingually.

Last edited:

DownandOutinNYC

Kava Curious
I went the cheap route and bought Star West kava. It really wasn't that bad, and now that I think about it I probably used too much. I used 4 heaping tablespoons into an 8 ounce glass of water. If it only takes one tablespoon then the obvious issue is I used too much.

Would it taste bad in sweetened almond milk? If almonds help the nausea ,would almond milk help?

tarragon

Kava Curious
I went the cheap route and bought Star West kava. It really wasn't that bad, and now that I think about it I probably used too much. I used 4 heaping tablespoons into an 8 ounce glass of water. If it only takes one tablespoon then the obvious issue is I used too much.

Would it taste bad in sweetened almond milk? If almonds help the nausea ,would almond milk help?
You could try it, but I don't think it will help, since your discomfort continues into the next day, I suspect your troubles have arisen from your choice of vender. If one is to drink micronized kava, it is good to go with one of the venders who remove most of the "makas" from the kava before micrronizing. GHK has been low on their micro and instant supplies for a while now, but they do have Papa Kea, which is great, and Moi, also very nice. I won't suggest to the Mahakea, although I like it, it has given me slight queasiness, quite sure because I drank too much in one go. KWK has their MeloMelo in stock, which you may find enjoyable, or if you want a slightly more heavy kava, the Loa Waka is back in. KT has very fine kava, but they will not have any micronized in stock for at least three more weeks. As others have suggested, instant is also something for you to try. Hope you find something that works well for you!

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast

I can’t tolerate the micronized. Definitely hard on the stomach. You don’t have to give up kava, but you may need to go for traditional or aluball prep. A good, fine strainer makes a world of difference in the nausea for me. I was also bummed that I couldn’t tolerate micro, but medium grind is working out great. Good luck!

Zaphod

Kava Lover

4 TBS of microgrind all at once is on the high side. I started my kava journey with microgind and found it very convenient and easy - but after 7-8 months my skin was sloughing off into a fine mist everywhere I went. I started to leave skin clouds behind. If you want to stick with microgrind I would try splitting up the dose and spacing it out a bit more with more with lots of water. You might also try some of the better vendor's microgrinds that removes makas before grinding. Ultimately you will probably be better served by moving to a traditional prep or aluball. It really is pretty easy, the taste is 100X better than gritty microgrind, and you will have less digestive and ultimately skin issues.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
Woah, 4 TBSP? I thought micro was in teaspoonsful. I take about one teaspoonful in my nightly tea to sleep and it works wonderfully. I use KWK Vula Waka and some medium grind Vinaka Waka or Chief's Choice. Just about 4 oz in my tea of the medium grind, prepped, and 1 tsp. micro Vula Waka (which I know is very low for a true kava experience but I still thought 4 TSP was good for a kava experience). Anyway, this is the way I feel micro or intant are useful. Otherwise, it is much more cost effective and a much better experience to use medium grind and strain it.

ProjectK

Kava Enthusiast
I had to stop drinking micros cause the gastro pain/suffering. If you invest in a Aluball, I think you will be pretty happy with the results. Plus the cost is half that of micros for medium grind!