What's new

RoH Fresh Frozen Kava

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
It was a few months ago so probably not the current batch. It was frozen fresh root. Not sure if it was all lateral or not but it was pretty potent. I prepared it more or less the same as dried in the blender and strained.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
Mine is out for delivery! Going to try it today. My last order from RoH came as an empty ripped cardboard envelope two weeks late. :( Anyway, I just have to rave about Steve over at RoH and the integrity of this company that is willing to share so many varieties of kava with us! I understand that this can happen in shipping, although rare, it isn't RoH's fault. However, I ordered a bottle of kava and kava paste. So, I did feel that a flat cardboard envelope might have been a bit too flimsy for these two products. Well, nothing was in the envelope, so, I did let Steve know my concern. He was amazing about it and even had the problem resolved before getting back to me, which was right away! He is replacing what was lost/damaged in the mail. I am beyond impressed with the kava community. I was never upset at anyone in particular. I didn't expect such a generous outcome. However, this community never ceases to amaze me. Bula to everyone and a special one to RoH for amazing products and customer service. :) ::chugger::

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
rohfrozen.jpg

It arrived. I'm quite impressed with the product already. It's pre-ground thank goodness. It did arrive at a temperature less than that of the room, however the freezer pack was absent, but I bet that was more of a judgement call based on outdoor temps this time of year.

I have a suggestion for Root of Happiness, and that is to vacuum seal the ziplocks after you've frozen them, or just package the product directly in vacuumable packaging. The delivery person had it in a plastic bag because the single zip-lock freezer bag isn't rugged enough to stand up to USPS levels of handling and not leak.

It's in the freezer right now at work. It smells good.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I've moved ROH back from the "Other Vendors" folder. They've obviously put forth efforts to separate the bar from the online storefront. It also looks like they're working with customers now with shipping issues. Good signs.
I was thinking it's about time they were brought back into the mainstream after years of misinformation going around about them. They sell good kava.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Mine will have spent an unnecessary 24+ hours floating around different nearby USPS branches before finally reaching me later today. Hopefully it hasn't spoiled. I appreciate the pre-ground root, but whole roots have a longer shelf-life. It would definitely be nice to at least vacuum seal fresh root, if not also use High Pressure Processing.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Mine will have spent an unnecessary 24+ hours floating around different nearby USPS branches before finally reaching me later today. Hopefully it hasn't spoiled. I appreciate the pre-mashed root, but whole roots have a longer shelf-life.
I think I would suggest anyone who purchases this to use the express option for shipping as standard from now on. I think the only issue I really see at this point is shipping materials. That's an easily remedied problem.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
Got mine today still a little frozen no ice pack included, it is below freezing outside tho, smells good taste great one shell down and gonna be enjoying this for sure.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The sediment at the bottom is different feeling from dried I swear tried to get a picture but it hard to tell. It is a sticky light brown almost white goo.
any way three shells down and felling like im on my 8th lol

That's the starch. What do you think about the flavor? The flavor of fresh kava is second to none.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
That's the starch. What do you think about the flavor? The flavor of fresh kava is second to none.
Yeah significant taste difference between fresh and dried. Still tastes like kava but the only way I can put it is cleaner tasting i.e. less lake water tasting and more "refined" tasting.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Mine arrived warm, completely melted and warmer inside pack than out. It was only in transit for 48 hours so I don't know if it's spoiled or... Help please.

Ps they clearly didn't even include an ice pack!

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
Mine arrived warm, completely melted and warmer inside pack than out. It was only in transit for 48 hours so I don't know if it's spoiled or... Help please.

Ouch.

Have you ever had kava sit out to long? there is a pretty distinct smell I used that as my base. My fresh root did not smell weird like day old left out kava

ThePiper

Kava Lover
It smells great but it is a bit darker in color than i expected. I drank a little and it's awesome I just hope i don't get food poisoning. It's kinda b.s. that they are charging extra for shipping when that are doing nothing to prevent melting. Hoping someone can weigh in who knows anything about the shelf life of green kava.

I can't tag shakas, darn.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
It smells great but it is a bit darker in color than i expected. I drank a little and it's awesome I just hope i don't get food poisoning. It's kinda b.s. that they are charging extra for shipping when that are doing nothing to prevent melting. Hoping someone can weigh in who knows anything about the shelf life of green kava.

I can't tag shakas, darn.
Fresh kava that has gone bad has a distinct sour smell and taste to it. It's pretty apparent. I'd be interested to know if people experience food poisoning from kava on a basis that could anywhere approach "regular" in Vanuatu. I'm sure some of those nakamals leave fresh kava sitting for a considerably long time.

Edit: also expect a call from Steven at ROH. He called to ask if I had any suggestions.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner

I'm sure it's fine. It surely left their facility frozen and probably thawed eventually, but was cold for much of the journey. Enjoy!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yes, I don't know if they still sell K@ in their bar?
That is a seriously good question Edward. I've looked and I don't see the normal evidence of a kava bar selling K@. Either they've done an immaculate job concealing it to just this forum and me, or they're seriously 100% kava now. I'd like someone to confirm or refute.

Now, back to that frozen kava. I do hope they've secured an, at least, semi-regular supply. I'll aim to always have some in case a kava drinking friend stops by.