What's new

So what's your fav Kava right now?

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Still working my way through a 40lb stockpile of Klin 5 star - 8lbs down 32 to go. It really is good - I am using half the quantity of any other kava that i have had, and even 10 excessive nights in a row I don't get over-dehydrated or red eyes, and can still do my 30km bike ride in good time.
Is this the elixir of life?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I'm thinking part of the lack of side effects is from how well cleaned the laterals are. It appears there is very little to no bark. I like that I can have a more intoxicating experience, use significantly less root and not have much of any drag the next day. I can say that this 5 star is noticeably different than the wow or nambawan I've had lately.

I picked up some instant from kava kauai and am impressed with it too. I'm quite certain this is what N@H used to source as the fire island instant and wonder if it's the klin you got. They claim it is processed with rain water which I think you had mentioned.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I'm thinking part of the lack of side effects is from how well cleaned the laterals are. It appears there is very little to no bark. I like that I can have a more intoxicating experience, use significantly less root and not have much of any drag the next day. I can say that this 5 star is noticeably different than the wow or nambawan I've had lately.

I picked up some instant from kava kauai and am impressed with it too. I'm quite certain this is what N@H used to source as the fire island instant and wonder if it's the klin you got. They claim it is processed with rain water which I think you had mentioned.
It is very clean - I went to their factory a few times and there are teams of women in overalls, hairnets and facemasks cleaning the fresh kava all around the building. The piles of laterals are gleaming when they've finished with them.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
Still working my way through a 40lb stockpile of Klin 5 star - 8lbs down 32 to go. It really is good - I am using half the quantity of any other kava that i have had, and even 10 excessive nights in a row I don't get over-dehydrated or red eyes, and can still do my 30km bike ride in good time.
Is this the elixir of life?

Ok, where do you get this kava? It seems like it’s very popular here. Is it heavy, balanced? Sounds great re: absence of those side effects.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Well they don't call it Klin Kava for nothin'. While I respect vendors who want to keep their connections private, I also cannot help but suspect that it is sold in the US under other brand names.

But I don't wanna shake anything up by speculating. That'd be supremely uncool. ;)

AlohaAimee

Kava Enthusiast
Kalm With Kava's Loa Waka is my absolute favorite kava right now. I've just been buying the micronized. I've gone through about 4 containers in the last 3 weeks! I've been reaching for it nearly daily.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Well they don't call it Klin Kava for nothin'. While I respect vendors who want to keep their connections private, I also cannot help but suspect that it is sold in the US under other brand names.

But I don't wanna shake anything up by speculating. That'd be supremely uncool. ;)
that's some fine circumlocutionomificatin' yer doin there, podner.

Forney Enterprises sells a lot of kava wholesale to vendors elsewhere who either sell it under the original names, or simply change the names, or in some cases use it in blends. You know it by the taste, and IMO everybody who sells it should be encouraged by buying some. It's good root. And all the sellers who sell it would have to be good sellers if they sell good root like that.

Here's where it gets "uncool" - some sellers, for very valid reason, have to sell it at different price points. NONE of them is ripping off consumers, just because one charges more than another. ALL of them are providing valuable service to kava drinkers. The last thing I will ever do is knock or appear to knock any vendor who has the good sense and decency to offer these fine kavas to the public. So the last thing, I think, that anyone wants to do is say publicly "X kava is really 5 star" or whatever, because that would be a crappy thing to do to a decent vendor who is providing all of us a much appreciated service. But if you have even remotely functioning taste buds, you'll quickly figure out what is what.

In the meantime, here is a delightful video:

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
If a vendor announces they are selling that 5 star for a lower cost it would be a great way for them to generate more sales. Going by effects rather than flavor, I don't see it in anything else available from the popular vendors. This is what was sold as Wow a few years ago. It was stronger then but so was everything else. Nangol is a bit stronger and not as sedating at the end. Nambawan is uplifting but again not as sedating and for me doesn't hit as consistently (the reason I prefer Nangol out of BKHs selection). Supreme is heavy but I usually mix it with something with more head effects, not the same at all. Stone is the closest in effects currently but it brews up darker and tastes worse. I'd imagine most of those sales are going to kava bars since they can get away with charging a premium.

I would also guess that kava kauai is sourcing the instant from them. It feels just like fire island did and is very unique compared to the other Vanuatu instants. I used to drink a lot of those two products from Nak and only stopped buying them when the sources obviously changed.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
that's some fine circumlocutionomificatin' yer doin there, podner.

Forney Enterprises sells a lot of kava wholesale to vendors elsewhere who either sell it under the original names, or simply change the names, or in some cases use it in blends. You know it by the taste, and IMO everybody who sells it should be encouraged by buying some. It's good root. And all the sellers who sell it would have to be good sellers if they sell good root like that.

Here's where it gets "uncool" - some sellers, for very valid reason, have to sell it at different price points. NONE of them is ripping off consumers, just because one charges more than another. ALL of them are providing valuable service to kava drinkers. The last thing I will ever do is knock or appear to knock any vendor who has the good sense and decency to offer these fine kavas to the public. So the last thing, I think, that anyone wants to do is say publicly "X kava is really 5 star" or whatever, because that would be a crappy thing to do to a decent vendor who is providing all of us a much appreciated service. But if you have even remotely functioning taste buds, you'll quickly figure out what is what.

In the meantime, here is a delightful video:

Well shucks I feel a bit thick headed. It took me awhile to pick up what you have been putting down in previous threads.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Well shucks I feel a bit thick headed. It took me awhile to pick up what you have been putting down in previous threads.
Ever since women everywhere fell for Chidi I've tried to enhance my brand by obsessing over ethical issues. No effect yet, but that probably means I'm not doing it enough.

Halibut_Acid

Krunkadelic
Though I am very new to kava (this is my second day) I have greatly enjoyed the KWK Samoan Ava. This morning I had my first try of KWK pouni ono and felt sick most of the day. Then at the beginning of evening I had my first KWK borogu. It was okay. I was starting to worry that kava might not be for me, as my attempt with the Samoan Ava last night left me anxious (albeit free of nausea) after an initial bout of euphoria. However just now I made a batch of Samoan Ava that included the borogu I used to make the earlier batch. Now I can say I have achieved a truly enjoyable feeling for the first time.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
It seems recommendations and reviews are so rare lately and so valuable with the price of root that I should share some experiences with you guys beyond just my favorite kava right now, so here ya go:

I just got some mahakea in from Chris and only tried it twice but it seems on par with the last batch. These days mahakea for me has been a heady strain above all. It has a little nervous tension from time to time but if taken correctly or blended it isn't an issue. Still i wouldn't recommend it for anxiety or sleep. Has a nice energy to it. Its funny because a year or so ago and previous it was a kava that gave me a mixed bag of alertness and body glow, ssometimes it was weird to me and other times it was spectacular. Now it feels a bit more like moi or kumakua but a bit more balanced and the flavor of this batch is remarkably mild. It tastes "watery" if that makes any sense, lol. Like cucumber without the greenness. Or like a lawena without the nutty/creamy aspect. If you want mild taste or liked last months mahakea then you will like it.
The Nene is par the course for this years harvest, if it isnt in fact identical. Very good situational kava, i use it in the morning for a mild mellow without worrying about side effects. At night in larger doses it leaves me feeling thoughtful and engaged but tranquil. Nene has never been the strongest kava to grace my shell but I can always rely on it for certain results. Also a great kava when you are feeling under the weather.

Hiwa seems stronger than usual. It noted more hypnotic effect and muscle relaxation than with thhe batches from earlier in 2018. It is however slightly more rough on my body than your average hawaiian, but it seems to be proportionate to the body effects that it offers. It's not difficult to tweak dosage or blend to avoid the negative effects. Heavy or not, this is Hawaiian kava, so it isnt going to mess with you like an was-kicking Fijian waka or heavy Vanuatu.

BKH Nambawan is a total powerhouse right now but it is also dizzying and nauseating. I kind of regret buying 2 lbs of it at the premium price because i can only handle tiny amounts. Its definitely nice to have some around for punch but it is like playing with fire at times. Previous batches were a little milder and smoother. This one is very heady and hard hitting.

I also recently received some kava vinaka chiefs choice nad their lawena. The lawena is as good as ever and a good price. Great for sleep and that heady, sleepy feeling. Super smooth on the stomach and relaxes your mind more than muscle relaxing, but that's often what i'm looking right before bed.

The chiefs choice is a quality kava that is super balanced and clean, but past iterations left me more impressed than this batch has. The first couple times I bought chiefs choice it stood out to me as a very unique heady kava that had great social energy and left all my worries somewhere far away. This batch just feels like a plain old, but solid Fijian. If this kava was on sale i might put it in the "must buy" category, but considering the premium price range I will be patiently waiting for a future batch before i pick this up again. The only disappointment is that the bar was high for this one, and with the lawena giving similar strength and effects at almost $20 cheaper per pound, i can't justify it.

Maybe 2 weeks ago i got a small batch of pouni ono and Loa waka from Kalm with kava. The Pouni ono feels pretty much identical to recent batches. Heady and smooth, a bit anxiolytic, good taste, but there is better Tongan out there, albeit for a higher price than Pouni. I would consider this the choice for budget Tongan (If there could be such a thing, amiright? ;) )

The Loa waka was solid and well worth the price. Balanced and clean, it is so far away from the Loa waka of the good ol' days. This kava used to be a legend. It packed a punch and then faded into bliss. Still though, this is a good buy and good kava.

Palmetto

Thank God!
This thread is better than most. My 2 cents are:
You can never go wrong with Samoan kava, but it's not always blow you away in nature.
Hawaiians are also very good, but the high kavain mixed with cold dry air makes my throat scratchy this time of year.
40 lbs of kava is a year's supply. Awesome to have that much, but all the same variety might get old.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
This thread is better than most. My 2 cents are:
You can never go wrong with Samoan kava, but it's not always blow you away in nature.
Hawaiians are also very good, but the high kavain mixed with cold dry air makes my throat scratchy this time of year.
40 lbs of kava is a year's supply. Awesome to have that much, but all the same variety might get old.
Yes 40 lb is a year’s supply but that will still make you 3 liters a day. I’d rather make it 42 or 43, but yeah, I could do it in only 40.