What's new

Some light reading before bed. A Behavioral Survey of the Effects of Kavalactones on Caenorhabditis

BaySailor

Kava Curious
Wow. Need a shell after that.::chugger::
Bottom line: Worms like kava, but worms who drink kava are more sensitive to pesticides!

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Mahalo for finding and posting this study! How magnificent and diverse are these "Kava Forums" huh?
My story may not be for the non-farmer but coincidentally just yesterday I was harvesting an 'Awa 'Opihikao
for home consumption and as usual on the outer edges of some of the stump you see this small, earthworm-like
little critter eating some of the softer portions of stump. They are cut away and discarded on ground and/or
pressure washed off before even the real cleaning begins but I often wondered if they are euphoric worms!

We are fed so much crap with the motive of money behind it. I'm thankful for social media and intelligent people who can sway some of this.

verticity

I'm interested in things
This was a pretty cool study by undergraduate researchers at Greenville University and their advisor who is from Kiribati:

https://www.greenville.edu/news/stu...erest-from-international-scientific-community

It was the first to show that kavalactones have an effect on the action of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine (ACh), which is used by neurons to signal muscles to contract. They showed that kavalactones, and especially kavain, can cause paralysis in worms, from which they infer that it could somehow be inhibiting ACh transmission from the neuron to muscle.. It's interesting not so much because of the worms, but as a model for the effect of kava in humans, in whom ACh works the same way to control muscular movement... (Acetylcholine is also important in the brain. For example, nicotine works by stimulating acetylcholine receptors in the brain. But AFAIK kava's effect on ACh in the brain hasn't been studied...)

NAMBATU

Kava Enthusiast
I realise this is beside the point, but I'm a serious amateur weightlifter and whatever kava is doing to muscles isn't doing me any harm. Obviously I wouldn't have a big session just before going to the gym, but I wouldn't have a big session before doing anything strenuous, physically or mentally. Also, those PNG tribesmen are pretty jacked.

DrJknows

Kava Curious
This was a pretty cool study by undergraduate researchers at Greenville University and their advisor who is from Kiribati:

https://www.greenville.edu/news/stu...erest-from-international-scientific-community

It was the first to show that kavalactones have an effect on the action of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine (ACh), which is used by neurons to signal muscles to contract. They showed that kavalactones, and especially kavain, can cause paralysis in worms, from which they infer that it could somehow be inhibiting ACh transmission from the neuron to muscle.. It's interesting not so much because of the worms, but as a model for the effect of kava in humans, in whom ACh works the same way to control muscular movement... (Acetylcholine is also important in the brain. For example, nicotine works by stimulating acetylcholine receptors in the brain. But AFAIK kava's effect on ACh in the brain hasn't been studied...)
I just spoke to an undergrad researcher (Jessie Chappell) last week at the American Chemical Society meeting in Orlando. She said they were using a Gaia Herbs extract. I tried to put her in touch with a researcher from Belhaven University (Jackson, MS) who was also presenting a poster - this one entitled, "Separation, purification, and spectroscopic characterization of chiral kavalactones from kava kava."
I also cautioned her to be concerned about batch-to-batch KL variations in Gaia (or any other) extract.