What's new

Ill effects after kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halibut_Acid

Krunkadelic
So this morning I am hungover from kava. It is very similar to an alcohol hangover without the pervasive anxiety that is known to accompany them. I have not drank alcohol in well over a year and do not take any other medications. Did I just drink too much last night? All the grog I drank was medium grind prepared with traditional method and all kava used was from KWK. Consumed about 8 tbsp. Is there a chance my body is just taking some time to get used to kava? Yesterday was only my second day drinking it.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
So this morning I am hungover from kava. It is very similar to an alcohol hangover without the pervasive anxiety that is known to accompany them. I have not drank alcohol in well over a year and do not take any other medications. Did I just drink too much last night? All the grog I drank was medium grind prepared with traditional method and all kava used was from KWK. Consumed about 8 tbsp. Is there a chance my body is just taking some time to get used to kava? Yesterday was only my second day drinking it.
I'm thinking it far more likely you are simply dehydrated right now than "hungover." At high consumption levels like you were at, you would have to have also consumed considerable water before, during, and after the session to avoid becoming dehydrated. Were you able to do that? I'd want to rule out the obvious (with a simple solution) before considering less likely hypotheses. Pouni Ono is nice kava but it also makes me feel sleepy and groggy. Could it be that?

Halibut_Acid

Krunkadelic
I probably did not stay as hydrated as I should have during the session, but have drank ~2 liters of water this morning. I still have the headache and nausea, and it does not feel like it is going away any time soon. I drank pouni ono early in the day, then borogu and Samoan Ava later in the day. I think morning kava is probably not going to be something I do often.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I probably did not stay as hydrated as I should have during the session, but have drank ~2 liters of water this morning. I still have the headache and nausea, and it does not feel like it is going away any time soon. I drank pouni ono early in the day, then borogu and Samoan Ava later in the day. I think morning kava is probably not going to be something I do often.
two litres should fix anything short of a severe dehydration within an hour or two. As for the nausea, how well-filtred was your grog? I ask because sometimes if you have the hard particles of root, the centre part, floating in your grog and you drink enough of it, it can cause various types of stomach problems, most typically nausea. But if we can rule out the particles thing, and other than dehydration there's nothing else I can think of that would explain the headache .and. nausea except maybe an allergic reaction but not a typical one, or you are getting a cold or flu and don't know it yet or it was too much or too much too quickly. But even for a new kava drinker, 8 TBS in one day shouldn't be problematic if you're spacing out your shells. And it looked like you drank that over the course of the day and not in a single session, which even that should be ok in a 3 or 4 hour session with well-spaced shells. Only other thing I can think of is interaction with some other drug or alcohol or in some cases dietary supplements, vitamins, herbal remedies, anything like that? There's some interesting stories about these.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I sometimes feel hungover the next day and there is not one factor that I think is responsible for it. I have put it down to just the kava hitting me wrong that time. I'm talking about drinking noble kava in reasonable quantities and sometimes I just wake up feeling not right and at worst I can get a mild to moderate nausea that just hangs around most of the day. Fortunately it happens rarely enough for me not to worry about it too much. I would say if it happens more than once a month like that then consider other possibilities such as dehydration or some kind of reaction to the kava. That's rare enough to rule out for now. Keep drinking and see what happens.

Halibut_Acid

Krunkadelic
Thanks, I don't consume any other drugs or alcohol so I know it isn't that. I just had some more upon arriving home from work. Felt a bit rough most of the day, but now I'm relaxed and hoping to get a good night's sleep tonight. Trying my first sample of GHK Awa Papa Kea micronized.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I agree with @Krunkie McKrunkface regarding making sure your kava is strained well enough. I recently got a 100 micron strainer and it's working out much better for me. Also, how long are you fasting before kava? It's possible that you need to eat more.

Halibut_Acid

Krunkadelic
Yeah I think I overdid the fasting actually the first day I ate only a granola bar in the morning and drank the kava around 9pm then the second day I hardly ate as well. Had normal meals yesterday, refrained from eating 4 hours before kava, and then had a proper dinner after. Much better today.

Status
Not open for further replies.