What's new

Always out of stock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradise

I can't believe they are still out of stock on most everything. I'm following the pack of people and switching vendors . What company sells something closest to the Borogu? I've been waiting an eternity for it to come back in stock. Can't wait any longer, I'm making the vendor switch.

Recommendations please?

Chillbert

Kava Curious
It is absolutely frustrating when a vendor runs out of your favorite. The problem is compounded when dealing with a reputable vendor, as they have high quality standards which force them to pass on sub-par kava offerings. Could BKH get Borogu? I am certain of it, but it would displease you from a quality perspective.

Good vendors ride quality over quantity. In short, we cannot call for quality and quantity. Just the nature of kava.

When BKH has Borogu again, you can happily and confidently purchase. In the meantime, try other strains from other vendors. I personally have never purchased from BKH (politics from fights of the past that I found myself on the opposite side), yet I feel compelled to explain Judd's proper stocking priority. It is for the benefit of all of us.

Explore the world of kava strains and vendors. I have been all over the map with no regrets. Borogu is a heady kava, so pursue others of that ilk and enjoy the ride.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I stocked up KWK Borogu back when Mike had a $40/lb sale. For a long time I found the piney taste too strong for me but loved the effects, so I'd mix with fijian lawena to sweeten it. Now I find either the root mellowed or I did and I drink it straight and love the taste. If you AluBall it it''s headier but trad prepping brings out the heaviness for me.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
It is absolutely frustrating when a vendor runs out of your favorite. The problem is compounded when dealing with a reputable vendor, as they have high quality standards which force them to pass on sub-par kava offerings. Could BKH get Borogu? I am certain of it, but it would displease you from a quality perspective.

Good vendors ride quality over quantity. In short, we cannot call for quality and quantity. Just the nature of kava.

When BKH has Borogu again, you can happily and confidently purchase. In the meantime, try other strains from other vendors. I personally have never purchased from BKH (politics from fights of the past that I found myself on the opposite side), yet I feel compelled to explain Judd's proper stocking priority. It is for the benefit of all of us.

Explore the world of kava strains and vendors. I have been all over the map with no regrets. Borogu is a heady kava, so pursue others of that ilk and enjoy the ride.
IMO it's kind of a shame. A lot of times the criterion is just KL %, and I'm a big fan of some kavas that are wonderful but just happen to be low in KLs. But consumer demand has a focus on "strength" as opposed to other fine qualities a kava might have. So we miss out on the full range. I don't know, maybe someday the market will be big enough we'll see more variation. But for now Americans are mainly looking for one or two particular features.

Chillbert

Kava Curious
IMO it's kind of a shame. A lot of times the criterion is just KL %, and I'm a big fan of some kavas that are wonderful but just happen to be low in KLs. But consumer demand has a focus on "strength" as opposed to other fine qualities a kava might have. So we miss out on the full range. I don't know, maybe someday the market will be big enough we'll see more variation. But for now Americans are mainly looking for one or two particular features.
Agreed. As a proud lightweight (or someone that enjoys the subtler effects of kava, your call....) I do not seek high KL%. I'm all about the chemotype, and even then, am often surprised by the charm of some kavas. Unfortunately, most consumers would be unhappy if a vendor sold a low KL% kava at the normal price, and selling low KL% at cheaper prices would likely harm the vendor's reputation in some eyes. A shame, as you say, as such practices would enhance the vendor's reputation and offerings in the eyes of more experienced consumers.

To each their own. No one is right. No one is wrong. Bula.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
::chugger::::chugger::::chugger::::chugger::
Agreed. As a proud lightweight (or someone that enjoys the subtler effects of kava, your call....) I do not seek high KL%. I'm all about the chemotype, and even then, am often surprised by the charm of some kavas. Unfortunately, most consumers would be unhappy if a vendor sold a low KL% kava at the normal price, and selling low KL% at cheaper prices would likely harm the vendor's reputation in some eyes. A shame, as you say, as such practices would enhance the vendor's reputation and offerings in the eyes of more experienced consumers.

To each their own. No one is right. No one is wrong. Bula.
Bulagreed!

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Wow! You must be really upset to use your first ever post just to vent your frustration. I guess I owe you an apology. I appreciate your years of loyal patronage, though I'm a little confused. You say that we're "always" out of stock, yet you've been buying from us for "as long as you can remember"? And if Borogu is truly your favorite, it's actually one of the products we consistently have in stock. But yes, we are currently sold out of quite a few products, and for that I apologize to all of our customers.

For a little perspective, please understand the difficulty of importing tons of the best kava available. We are not supplying table salt here. We're selling the best of a plant that's only grown in developing countries on the other side of the globe. Every quality kava vendor goes through times of low stock. There's really no way to avoid it. We are at the whim of farmers and exporters working with limited infrastructure. Sometimes I place an order and I'm told it will be ready in two days, sometimes that order takes three months. We don't import multiple tons at a time. We import relatively small batches to ensure freshness. We only import from trusted sources who we can believe don't do things like put wood chips or stems in their kavas. When it arrives in the US, sometimes the FDA wants to check it out. I've had kava take weeks for FDA clearance. Once it is cleared, we don't just throw it in a bag and send it off to customers. It has to be carefully sampled in a way that represents the entire shipment, and those samples are sent to two separate labs where they are tested to ensure quality and safety. We then send the kava to be packaged at a GMP clean room (We used to use our own GMP room, but the documentation and requirements are so time consuming that we're trying something new), because you don't want kava that's packaged in some dude's dirty garage. Finally the kava is sent back to us in Portland and we can ship it out to eagerly waiting customers such as yourself.

Right now we have 11 Year Waka, Vanuatu Instant Green Kava, and Melo Melo in stock. If you want a great medium grind kava, you should try the Melo Melo. The quality and potency is fantastic. If that doesn't float your boat, shipments containing Borogu, Nangol Noble, and Nambawan left Vanuatu this weekend. I expect them to be at our co-packing facility sometime this week, and hopefully in Portland and ready to ship the following week. With that, I can tell this wait is aggravating to you (I don't blame you. Our kava really is that good), and I understand your desire to purchase from another vendor. There are some really good choices out there. That said, I'd like to offer you a large discount for your next order from us for your troubles. Please send me an email at [email protected] and I'll give you a code.

Thanks for the patience and understanding.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I'm also curious about this "pack of people" that were once loyal BKH customers but are switching vendors. I haven't heard anything about this "movement" anywhere.

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
Find a vendor that never sells out and you've found some awful quality kava that nobody wants. BKH is ultra reliable with great quality worth the wait. No harm
in trying different vendors. Right now I'm on a bit of a Fijian kick but I always keep a look out for BKH Nabanwan which is probably my favorite of BKH's offerings. I
do keep some 11 Year Waka Micro on hand which is super convenient but really heady so don't use it if you want to sleep. Borogu is a middle of the road balanced kava shouldn't be too hard to find. I agree with Travis above about Gary's realkava.com Vanuatu is Borogu and his Special Reserve Blue Label is very good. About 15 years ago there was only 2 or 3 vendors where now there are dozens and the service has never been better .

chasemandingo

Kava Enthusiast
Hey Judd. I am likewise a long time customer. Any chance of sourcing some Koniak from Papua New Guinea in the future. Im not one to drink tudei often, but when I do, I prefer Koniak!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hey Judd. I am likewise a long time customer. Any chance of sourcing some Koniak from Papua New Guinea in the future. Im not one to drink tudei often, but when I do, I prefer Koniak!
I doubt you could get a clear answer from any of the suppliers/vendors but based on a few different threads pieced together there is a chance that the current RoH's PNG tudei is the same as what BKH used to sell as Koniak. Couldn't tell you for sure, and I was not around for BKHs Koniak, so who knows but it might be what your looking for.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Im not an exclusive customer to any kava spot, but order every couple months and would certainly buy more often if there was more variety. Kula and borough are nice headies and the stock lately is usually only the punchy heavy stuff. Which is great but some may Not always want that.

chasemandingo

Kava Enthusiast
My go to used to be kava boy. Plenty pote for a Tongan with good mix of heady/heavy effects. Plus the grind was great for toss and wash! Alas, nothing good lasts forever. Of course the price was great too! I would have two lbs on hand at a time and then buy some stuff from kalm, bula and ghk to make traditional batches....the good old days
Kinda wish kava wouldn't have got as popular as it is today so we wouldn't have these sourcing issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.