What's new

Re: KWK - Loa Waka. BAD SMELL. (Issue Resolved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
Really awful plastic smell coming from KALM with KAVA 16 oz bags

I bought some Loa Waka instant from them for the holidays because I knew I would not be able to prepare kava on vacation.

I thought the instant was great kava! So I ordered the 16 oz bags.

I always smell kava when I open the bag. The smell was very bad. Extremely strong plastic smell.

The smell is so bad that even after straining and pouring the liquid into the cup, there is still a strong plastic smell coming from the cup.

This is extremely disappointing because I like this kava very much. Also, now I have four 16 oz bags with plastic smelling kava in them .

I am not exaggerating to say the kava taste like plastic, and I am the kind of person that can gulp down anything.

Last edited:

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
What a drag! I don't buy their stuff much but shoot them an email and maybe they can do something about it. I've had this happen to me not with kava but with sandwiches in plastic.

ApéroNoble

What a drag! I don't buy their stuff much but shoot them an email and maybe they can do something about it. I've had this happen to me not with kava but with sandwiches in plastic.
Maybe Loa Waka just smells like plastic lol. I don't see how the bag alone could create that strong of a smell. I have tried dozens of different strands of kava and none have had that kind of a smell.

I guess as long as it is safe and it is not the bag causing it to smell like that I will continue to drink it since the effects are so good.

Also, I know KWK is a very good vendor.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Contact KWK. He’ll sort you out. I’ve never had any type off smells or tastes from KWK, but it can strike from nowhere. Had a bag of paradise kava that smelled like it was doused in kerosene, and had 100% no issues with any product for years from them.

ApéroNoble

Contact KWK. He’ll sort you out. I’ve never had any type off smells or tastes from KWK, but it can strike from nowhere. Had a bag of paradise kava that smelled like it was doused in kerosene, and had 100% no issues with any product for years from them.
I just cut part of the bag and washed it and it is not the bag. I think it must just be the way this kind of kava smells.

Also, I have four 16 oz bags and they all smell the same. Unless there was a major problem at KWK I guess that's just the smell of Loa Waka

kw2292

Kava Curious
Loa Waka is definitely the worst tasting Fijian kava I’ve ever had. Nice potency and effects, but it’s one of a small handful of kavas that I really dread chugging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricardo Piquant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What's not normal? Do you think there is something wrong with the KWK Loa Waka?
The plastic, kerosene-like smell is not normal. I would try contacting kwk. I haven't really cared for their kava but Mike seems like a genuinely nice who will make it right.

I've gotten kava like this twice. Once from wakanavu and the other time from ROH. It was so offensive I couldn't even smell the grinds without feeling like I was huffing paint

ApéroNoble

The plastic, kerosene-like smell is not normal. I would try contacting kwk. I haven't really cared for their kava but Mike seems like a genuinely nice who will make it right.

I've gotten kava like this twice. Once from wakanavu and the other time from ROH. It was so offensive I couldn't even smell the grinds without feeling like I was huffing paint
I loved the instant over the Thanksgiving holiday, but it did not have that strong smell. I would think an instant kava would have basically the same smell as the grind.

I am not as concerned about a refund or anything as I am as finding out if this is safe to drink or not.

I have 4 bags of the 16 oz because I liked the instant so much and they all have that kind of plastic smell. I am sending a bag to someone of has tried Loa Waka many times to see if it is okay. It may just be me.

It would be good to know if a medium grind just has an exeamly higher pungent smell than an instant. That could be it.

Attachments

Last edited:

ApéroNoble

I just went on Amazon out of curiosity to see if anyone else noticed that kind of a smell and found the review below. I don't trust amazon reviews but the smell part of the review is disturbing, unless Loa Waka naturally smells kind of wierd.

Eric

1.0 out of 5 starsDissapointed
April 13, 2017
Size: 1/2 LBVerified Purchase
Not only did it taste like saw dust and smell like turpentine, it lacked any effect. I jumped on this hearing KWK was a high quality vendor. Unfortunately I must have received a poor batch because another brand was noticeably sedating and relaxing.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
I just went on Amazon out of curiosity to see if anyone else noticed that kind of a smell and found the review below. I don't trust amazon reviews but the smell part of the review is disturbing, unless Loa Waka naturally smells kind of wierd.

Eric

1.0 out of 5 starsDissapointed
April 13, 2017
Size: 1/2 LBVerified Purchase
Not only did it taste like saw dust and smell like turpentine, it lacked any effect. I jumped on this hearing KWK was a high quality vendor. Unfortunately I must have received a poor batch because another brand was noticeably sedating and relaxing.
That description of smell doesn’t seem to far out of line seeing as it has a hint of pine in the smell. I can see how someone would associate it with turpentine

ApéroNoble

That description of smell doesn’t seem to far out of line seeing as it has a hint of pine in the smell. I can see how someone would associate it with turpentine
That is good to hear. I don't even know what turpentine really smells like. Does it smell kind of like plastic?

ApéroNoble

I just want to update here.

Mike at KWK it a super guy that takes care of his customers, and from my understanding knows more about where his kava is coming from and the quality control involved than anyone but Chris at GHK.

Anyway, Mike sent me two replacement bags and they smell great. No plastic smell whatsoever. Mike at KWK has awesome kava, in the top 2 best of all time.

I think the kava vendors that can develop the best relationships with their suppliers to ensure quality control are going to be the only reliable kava vendors.

I have some business experience in ordering internationally (although not with kava) Sometimes when faulty goods or a bad batch is received there are not many options.

1. Take a loss
2. Try to sell the product

The vendors that are able to ensure quality control from their suppliers (while testing in house and third party testing as well) will be reliable for consumers to buy from and will also be successful.

Mike at KWK is already successful because he has developed those relationships and as in my case he was able to deliver good fresh kava.

Last edited:

ElKavallero

Kava Curious
Naturally, I just ordered a batch of Loa thinking 'hey it's been a while lemme try this one again', came on line to read about how wonderful the latest batch is and find this. Hopefully it's not widespread. The batch of Loa out for delivery right now is all I got, and I was looking forward to a non-alcoholic day today :(

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I just want to update here.

Mike at KWK it a super guy that takes care of his customers, and from my understanding knows more about where his kava is coming from and the quality control involved than anyone but Chris at GHK.

Anyway, Mike sent me two replacement bags and they smell great. No plastic smell whatsoever. Mike at KWK has awesome kava, in the top 2 best of all time.

I think the kava vendors that can develop the best relationships with their suppliers to ensure quality control are going to be the only reliable kava vendors.

I have some business experience in ordering internationally (although not with kava) Sometimes when faulty goods or a bad batch is received there are not many options.

1. Take a loss
2. Try to sell the product

The vendors that are able to ensure quality control from their suppliers (while testing in house and third party testing as well) will be reliable for consumers to buy from and will also be successful.

Mike at KWK is already successful because he has developed those relationships and as in my case he was able to deliver good fresh kava.
This can't be said enough. I have had great interactions and Customer Service from all of the top vendors that participate on KF. I think it is also important for buyers to point out issues to suppliers as soon as possible, so they can continue to improve. However, I do tend to reach out to them via email directly instead of posting on the forum. This cooperation between vendors and buyers can only help the overall kava market and perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.