What's new

Do we have to wait another 11 years, for 11-year Waka ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I would guess whatever vendors Judd orders from would have to have particular kava plants growing for 11 years before harvest. It wouldn't be unlike aging liquor. Each year, they plant a bunch of cuttings, and set that particular plot aside to grow for 11 years before they harvest it.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Yeah I thought I heard somewhere that most batches aren't 11 years. They are supposedly significantly older than most farm kavas. I think maybe like 6-7 years and like the guy above said they are probably harvesting in rotation and replanting like every couple seasons. I am also curious if the plants sit in the ground for x amount of years or the advertised age just means the plant cutting have a heritage of many years. I.e, grow a plant for 11 years and then harvest, after which each cutting will be planted and again harvested every 3 years and keep the older plants attributes.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Well, ideally Kava farmers would stagger their 11 year Waka crops like foresters do. That way they can have a yearly supply of 11 year Waka. That being said, I have yet to see pictures of a Kava farm that looks like it is managed that way.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I could be wrong, but I thought the term "11 Year" was just branding in honor of some original 11 year old stumps that were found on Wakaya island, Fiji.

I don't know if "11 Year" is really that old nowadays, or if it's still grown from the same cuttings, or even if it's all grown on Wakaya.

Wakaya is privately owned by none other than David Gilmour, the founder of Fiji Water. And that stuff is regular old well water.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
The original batches were from exactly 11 year old plants. Over time, the younger plants that were in the ground have aged.

Since the early days, it's logistically difficult to guarantee that exact age but we do buy kava that is purposefully allowed to mature much longer than normal. It's going to be a mix of root. Some may be 11 years old, some 12, some maybe 8. You get the picture. It is still the same cultivars used in the original batches. Heirloom, if you will. How's that for marketing hyperbole? (y)

For transparency, we explain this very clearly on the product listing page. Bottom line though is that if you're into micro this product is really hard to beat.

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
The original batches were from exactly 11 year old plants. Over time, the younger plants that were in the ground have aged.

Since the early days, it's logistically difficult to guarantee that exact age but we do buy kava that is purposefully allowed to mature much longer than normal. It's going to be a mix of root. Some may be 11 years old, some 12, some maybe 7. You get the picture. It is still the same cultivars used in the original batches. Heirloom, if you will. How's that for marketing hyperbole? (y)

For transparency, we explain this very clearly on the product listing page. Bottom line though is that if you're into micro this product is really hard to beat.
So would aged Waka be a more appropriate named or 7-11 year Waka. I never knew it wasn't 11 years until now, than again I never drank it to be fair, so I would have not read the blurb you mentioned on the bag or description.

Zaphod

Kava Lover

Since the early days, it's logistically difficult to guarantee that exact age but we do buy kava that is purposefully allowed to mature much longer than normal. It's going to be a mix of root. Some may be 11 years old, some 12, some maybe 7. You get the picture. It is still the same cultivars used in the original batches. Heirloom, if you will. How's that for marketing hyperbole? (y)

To be fair this is what it says on the website:
"Like a fine wine, some kava gets better and stronger with age. This noble variety was allowed to grow in the fertile soil of Fiji for 8-11 years. During those years, our 11-year Waka blossomed into something truly special that has a smooth and mild flavor profile and a potent, heady effect."
and I agree it is a great microgrind product. Very finely ground, good taste, and potent.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
So would aged Waka be a more appropriate named or 7-11 year Waka. I never knew it wasn't 11 years until now, than again I never drank it to be fair, so I would have not read the blurb you mentioned on the bag or description.
I've said multiple times on this site that it's not guaranteed to be 11 years old. I'm sure you saw the posts. And if you actually purchased the products, you'd see that fact clearly posted on the product page. We're going to go ahead and keep the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.