What's new

Have you gotten a Eye Stye during frequent kava use?

Have you gotten a Eye Stye during frequent kava use?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
I have gotten styes from kava before and am curious if others relate.
Also anyone know a good treatment they normally go away after a few days but are annoying

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I have blepharitis, but I've had it in the past before kava. I'll admit the eye condition certaintly isn't helped when I go overboard on kava, however it doesn't go away without kava it seems. Unrelated maybe? I do know being lazy and rubbing my eyes with my hands is a big mistake. I like this wipe idea! My doctor gave me an ointment that I hate and insists that there are no eye drops that will work. I am not good at listening to my doctor's advice and do not use it as often as I am told to. Stubborness will not help you with eye issues it seems. ;) Have you asked your doctor for assistance with this issue?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Anyone with styes primarily use contacts? I got them consistently until I swapped to glasses. I will admit that this was also during my Tudei escapade a number of years ago, but that was rough.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I used to get styes back when I used to get dermo. And that went away when I switched to drinking grog with ice through a bombilla. Not sure that's what did it, could be a coincidence and my body had simply adapted to the allergen.

What helped when I was stye-prone was

1. Never rub your eyes, especially when you have just woken up. If there is gunk, go wash it away with warm water and maybe some soap.

2. When a stye appears cut down on consumption for a little. Don't have to stop but dial it back a bit.

3. Put rice in a sock and tie it off and put it in the microwave for 20 seconds or so. Then gently hold over your eye. Don't push it up your eye socket, just hold it gently next to you closed eyelid. Very soothing. And it helps to liquify any slodgy or hard gunk so your body's clean up crew can process it out.

4. General rule: if you think you are starting to get a stye, even just the tiniest inkling, then you probably are, so start all the above at the very first sign or feeling.

Anyway, that was what worked for me. Hope it might help someone else, or at least it's something to try if nothing else works.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
I do wear contacts but have never got styes before kava. Anyway the stye already went away but maybe it is time for me to clear up my dermo.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I have gotten styes from kava before and am curious if others relate.
Also anyone know a good treatment they normally go away after a few days but are annoying
Yes. I had trouble with styes, and I normally wear contacts. The suggestions by @Krunkie McKrunkface are all good ones. I typically stop wearing my contacts, switch to glasses and use warm/hot compress to get it to drain and clear. With the number of full time drinkers that have gotten them I consider it part of the dermo process because it tends to strike at the same time as the dermo hits full peel cycle.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
Anytime I got a stye I knew I was in for a hell of a dermo experience. It was always the first sign I was in trouble

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
One time I got conjunctivitis (diagnosed pink-eye) and was drinking kava that week.

The pink-eye was caused by poor choices on my part and low immune system at the time, not directly the kava, however, there is a chance that the kava played a small or large role in contracting the pinkeye, so I'd like to mention it for that reason.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
One time I got conjunctivitis (diagnosed pink-eye) and was drinking kava that week.

The pink-eye was caused by poor choices on my part and low immune system at the time, not directly the kava, however, there is a chance that the kava played a small or large role in contracting the pinkeye, so I'd like to mention it for that reason.
That is one of the reasons I recommend to all kava drinkers to never rub your eyes again, especially immediately after waking. Get in the habit of gently and frequently washing the area around your eyes with soap and warm water, then dry with a washcloth that you then put in the laundry hamper to be washed in a machine with hot water and detergent. Paranoid? Sure! But also safe and effective.

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
I personally haven't ever gotten a stye from Kava use but i've heard of several others getting them. I notice after long sessions my eyelids get really dry though, so there's definitely something happening there. It's actually a pretty good sign that I need to up the water intake.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
That is one of the reasons I recommend to all kava drinkers to never rub your eyes again, especially immediately after waking. Get in the habit of gently and frequently washing the area around your eyes with soap and warm water, then dry with a washcloth that you then put in the laundry hamper to be washed in a machine with hot water and detergent. Paranoid? Sure! But also safe and effective.
This doesn't strike me as paranoid. It's what I've been doing lately and seems to work well!

Most people won't experience this I'm sure, because they cycle usage better. I recently got a group of styes and/or chalizons in my eyelids after drinking kava too long without taking a break. It was a little over two months. I was using micronized instant kava. I did notice that my skin was looking dry and crepey on my face, but I thought it was related to something else. Also the mucus in my nose is super dry and sticky. Earwax was drier and pasty. My hands were super dry. The fingerprint scanner on my phone wouldn't read my fingerprint. All probably linked to over use. Then the styes started. Both eyes, some looked and acted like styes on the inside of the lid and I also have what looks like a chalizon on the outside of the eyelid. Of course I STOPPED drinking kava, but now it is a long road to getting back to normal. Here are some pictures that show the progression from small to big. For a couple of days my upper lid was swollen too. I get that I should have been more careful and kept track of when I started and exactly how much I was drinking each day. That's why I say that most people probably wouldn't experience this. But I'm sure that this is what happens when you do.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Most people won't experience this I'm sure, because they cycle usage better. I recently got a group of styes and/or chalizons in my eyelids after drinking kava too long without taking a break. It was a little over two months. I was using micronized instant kava. I did notice that my skin was looking dry and crepey on my face, but I thought it was related to something else. Also the mucus in my nose is super dry and sticky. Earwax was drier and pasty. My hands were super dry. The fingerprint scanner on my phone wouldn't read my fingerprint. All probably linked to over use. Then the styes started. Both eyes, some looked and acted like styes on the inside of the lid and I also have what looks like a chalizon on the outside of the eyelid. Of course I STOPPED drinking kava, but now it is a long road to getting back to normal. Here are some pictures that show the progression from small to big. For a couple of days my upper lid was swollen too. I get that I should have been more careful and kept track of when I started and exactly how much I was drinking each day. That's why I say that most people probably wouldn't experience this. But I'm sure that this is what happens when you do.
I consider this one of, if not the worst, side effect of over consuming kava. Luckily, all of the general recommendations for reducing dermo will help also reduce the occurrence of styes (in my experience). Reduction in the amount of dried root material you consume being the most direct way - switching from microgrind to medium traditional prep, using a finer (smaller) mesh size, or the aluball which has a pretty fine mesh will all help if you continue to consume kava. You should also be aware that stopping completely sometimes makes dermo worse for a few days before it gets better. I find a better approach is to switch to a finer mesh, and avoid some of the finer ground kavas in my pantry for a few days helps get me over a dermo hump faster. YMMV.
Oh, and for the styes I now alternate between hot compresses to get it to drain, and cold compress to reduce swelling. Also something like witch hazel (an astringent) applied to the outside of the eyelid I find helps reduce swelling as well. Luckly, I have not had too many in a while. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.