What's new

noob prep issues/aluball

Zaphod

Kava Lover
So I am pretty happy with the kava experience. I went from various supplements, but moved on because I had to take a LOT and it would have been ridiculously exppensive. I am having fun trying some different kinds of kava. I am pretty sure that my traditional prep is lacking, though I like the concept. I seriously think I dont have the finger strength to do what is necessary to knead it properly. Also I don't have much patience. I have a narrow window of time after work and before dinner when I like to have it, and two little people with such needs that keeping my hands in a bowl of grog for any length of time is nearly impossible. I soak 3-4 tbs. for about five, knead for five and then do a second wash. No patience or time for a third. Anyhoo, my grog has been pretty variable in effects. I have tried a few kwk - borongoru, damu, loa waka. Still can't stand the taste. Orange gatorade is my new fovorite chaser.

So I am on to the aluball, which just arrived today - hurrah! I have two balls and am just getting ready to start my prep of kavafied supreme. I will see how I do. How long do people shake it? The recommended 30 seconds seems like not enough. Do you ever pour out the grog, add more and do a second aluball wash?

I also am experimenting with kwk micronized and concentrate, and have been happy with those, even though they are more expensive. Seriously though, they are less expensive and more pleasant that alcohol. I have had about one glass of wine in the last month, and I am not making any effort to not drink. I just don't feel like it. I turn to kava after a stressful day!

Love the boards here - I lurked for a while before signing on a few weeks ago.
It looks like you have gotten a lot of great suggestions. The truth is if you drink kava long enough you will go through and try multiple ways of preparing. Traditional, aluball, blender, rolling pin, make your own extract, make your own microgrind, espresso maker....all have positives and negatives. Sooner or later you will settle on your favorite one or two that provide you the experience you want within the given time convenience you want to spend. I tend to do traditional prep 80% of the time and use my aluball for quick preps or travel. I guess my point is (since I am just rambling) is feel free to try multiple different prep methods until you find what is good for you. I find it part of the fun of drinking kava.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
It looks like you have gotten a lot of great suggestions. The truth is if you drink kava long enough you will go through and try multiple ways of preparing. Traditional, aluball, blender, rolling pin, make your own extract, make your own microgrind, espresso maker....all have positives and negatives. Sooner or later you will settle on your favorite one or two that provide you the experience you want within the given time convenience you want to spend. I tend to do traditional prep 80% of the time and use my aluball for quick preps or travel. I guess my point is (since I am just rambling) is feel free to try multiple different prep methods until you find what is good for you. I find it part of the fun of drinking kava.
Indeed, still enjoying kava since this original post from a year ago. I still primarily use the aluball and I have my go to kavas, and I occasionally branch out and sample new ones. Good stuff.

Pakavalolo

Kava Curious
I have a fairly noob prep question that I thought would be appropriate to post here...

Does anyone use coconut oil to emulsify their root before a traditional prep?

I have some that I would like to use, to have the coconut fat extract more KL's out of the root. Should I apply it directly to the root and knead it for a bit? Should I just put it on my hands? Both? Am I waisting my time with it? Any input or tips on using Coconut oil during prep would be helpful, Mahalo.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I have a fairly noob prep question that I thought would be appropriate to post here...

Does anyone use coconut oil to emulsify their root before a traditional prep?

I have some that I would like to use, to have the coconut fat extract more KL's out of the root. Should I apply it directly to the root and knead it for a bit? Should I just put it on my hands? Both? Am I waisting my time with it? Any input or tips on using Coconut oil during prep would be helpful, Mahalo.
It's a waste of time in my opinion. I have a buddy who insists on putting what I call "fluff" into the grog. This fluff consists of coconut oil and fancy cinnamon. The effects are the same. What matters most is how long you knead it.