What's new

Product warning - Pro Bottle

Kodiak

Kava Curious
Beware that there is a manufacturing issue with the cap plastic of the Pro bottle that Kavafied is selling. I have limited manufacturing experience but it appears that there is either a problem with the plastic compound itself, or that the material is not being melted uniformly while in the mold, because there is a thin outer skin of plastic that degrades due to the expected mild abrasion of blending with aluballs. The result is a non-trivial amount of plastic flecks shedding into your drink that you are bound to then consume unless you re-strain what comes out of the bottle - defeating the purpose of the bottle.

I tried to reach out to Kavafied using the same method I've had prior comms with them, Facebook Messenger, my messages were seen yesterday morning, and I've gotten no response.

So just a warning that at least the black plastic caps, if not the other colors, may have this problem. I can't imagine mine is a fluke since it looks like a pretty straightforward manufacturing problem.

There are numerous other problems with both of their bottles (pro and regular), but at least none of the other problems are actual health hazards like this one, so perhaps I'll save those for another post. From now on I'll only buy powders and aluballs from this vendor.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Kodiak for clarity, is the piece in the picture the bottom of the piece in the following picture? I assume with the "shell" cap attached.

AluBottle_Black01.jpg

Not trying to undermine your experience in industry in any way, but is there any chance they could be dents from the force of the aluball hitting the top? I've got an unused green one at home I'll check.

Kodiak

Kava Curious
Hi Kap,
The peeling is happening exactly at the aluball contact points, just as you would expect with normal use. I suspect that they could have headed this peeling problem by choosing a different plastic compound, such as carbon impregnated plastic or nylon similar to what blender bottles use, which don't have this issue after extended use with aluballs or blender balls.
They either have an issue with plastic choice or molding process, or the molds weren't up to operating temperature when my run of caps went through, causing the plastic to harden in layers creating a peelable shell.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi Kap,
The peeling is happening exactly at the aluball contact points, just as you would expect with normal use. I suspect that they could have headed this peeling problem by choosing a different plastic compound, such as carbon impregnated plastic or nylon similar to what blender bottles use, which don't have this issue after extended use with aluballs or blender balls.
They either have an issue with plastic choice or molding process, or the molds weren't up to operating temperature when my run of caps went through, causing the plastic to harden in layers creating a peelable shell.
Here's hoping it's a one off issue. "Nightmare" might not be the correct word if it's an issue that goes all the way back to design.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
With a regular AluBall setup, and when I use mason jars, I always use a cheapo plastic sandwich baggie, mainly to prevent leaking of liquid through the screws of the lid, but secondarily to protect the balls so they bounce against the soft plastic sheet across the top, rather than the lid. Might that help?

Kodiak

Kava Curious
It might but that sounds super duper fiddly. I've found success with large Blender Bottle brand shaker bottles without the extra step so I feel incredibly foolish about having bought both the regular alubottle and the Pro to try them out because that's a substantial waste of money with the design flaws and the peeling issue. Expensive lesson learned.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
It might but that sounds super duper fiddly. I've found success with large Blender Bottle brand shaker bottles without the extra step so I feel incredibly foolish about having bought both the regular alubottle and the Pro to try them out because that's a substantial waste of money with the design flaws and the peeling issue. Expensive lesson learned.
point taken

I've had no issues with a shaker (I knead it through one of their strainers) but like Kodiak, Kavafied has never replied to any email or message I've sent them. I love their kavas but not too professional for a business to flat-out ignore emails. Business 101, reply to your customers in a timely manner.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
So is that what most people are doing, is using only the ball from kavafied, and shaking it inside a bottle, from another manufacturer, and having better results with that ?
What's the main problem with the Kavafied bottles - leakage, or the ball breaking ?

I've had no issues with a shaker (I knead it through one of their strainers) but like Kodiak, Kavafied has never replied to any email or message I've sent them. I love their kavas but not too professional for a business to flat-out ignore emails. Business 101, reply to your customers in a timely manner.
In the future, you might possibly have more success attempting to reach them through Facebook, since they have a strong presence there.

Last edited:

Kodiak

Kava Curious
Yep, the aluball itself is the only product of theirs that seems to be useful. I've thrown away $40 worth of their bottles, both the "pro" and the normal one are rubbish. Had very good luck and longevity with the BlenderBottle brand so far, but might switch to glass mason jars for a while to try that out.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Yep, the aluball itself is the only product of theirs that seems to be useful. I've thrown away $40 worth of their bottles, both the "pro" and the normal one are rubbish. Had very good luck and longevity with the BlenderBottle brand so far, but might switch to glass mason jars for a while to try that out.
Are you sure that a glass jar isn't more likely to cause ball breakage ?

Crunked

Proselytizer
I have two Alubottles and use neither because they leak so much as to be unusable. Very, very bad design. Stay away. Blender bottles are the answer.

nashfire

Stay Rooted
Been using my Alubottle Pro for several months; makes great kava! No shredding of the top, still using my original 2 aluballs. It was tending to be a bit leaky until I tried wetting both the cap and cup gaskets with a little water prior to assembling and shaking. That works well; sometimes a little secondary snugging of top is needed but very minor issue for the great convenience! I have the bright green bottle and balls.::aluball::::alubottle::::kavaleaf::

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
I've had no problems of plastic flaking, chipping, shredding, or coming off in any way on 2 Alubottle Pro bottles and 4 of the old style Aluball bottles. On my first ball and bottle the ball got scratched up quite a bit because I shook it pretty roughly, and it also left scratch marks on the side of the bottle, but nothing like the pictures shown. Since then I've shaken them hard enough to move the balls through the water nicely but not to slam against the ends of the bottle. I also adapted my cleaning procedure, and have been getting good longevity out of the balls.

I have had a little bit of leakage from both styles occasionally. I usually double-check it before I shake, and the seal seems to settle a bit requiring a quick final turn. One of my bottles is more prone to that (The black one) and my green Alubottle pro is much less prone to needing to have the final tightening.

Let us know how it goes when trying to contact Kavafied on Facebook. They also have a strong presence on Instagram. I am a little disappointed that they wouldn't reply here, since this is where the community gathers.