What's new

Should I be concerned about liver damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson

I am fairly new to kava. I began drinking kava once a week a few months ago at a kava bar but recently decided to purchase a bag of kava for my boyfriend as a gift, and we drink it almost everyday together. We really enjoy the way it makes us feel. My only concern is the fact that on the bag, it says not to consume more than the recommended daily dosage (I believe it says one serving is 3 tbs of the dried kava) on any given day, and to take a two week break from kava altogether if you consume it everyday for more than three months or liver damage can occur. My boyfriend and I are both recovering alcoholics, but even if we weren’t, I don’t want to cause any harm to my liver. Should I be worried? Thank you,

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Generally Recognized as Safe.
The 'liver scare' is old, outdated and has basically been completely overturned and refuted at this point. But, everyone's different, certain circumstances/variables can change things and nothing is safe 100% of the time for 100% of the people.
This question comes up frequently...this thread is a good start:
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/blood-work-liver-panel-lab-results.13411/

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I am fairly new to kava. I began drinking kava once a week a few months ago at a kava bar but recently decided to purchase a bag of kava for my boyfriend as a gift, and we drink it almost everyday together. We really enjoy the way it makes us feel. My only concern is the fact that on the bag, it says not to consume more than the recommended daily dosage (I believe it says one serving is 3 tbs of the dried kava) on any given day, and to take a two week break from kava altogether if you consume it everyday for more than three months or liver damage can occur. My boyfriend and I are both recovering alcoholics, but even if we weren’t, I don’t want to cause any harm to my liver. Should I be worried? Thank you,
Short answer is no, you should not be worried. If you are interested in diving deeper into the literature there are multiple studies (search NIH and kava or world health organization did a nice follow up) on the cases that led to the liver scare and subsequent reasons why kava is now recognized as safe. On the anecdotal side many of us on kava forums are daily drinkers of kava for years (in the 4-12TBS/day) range and have posted our liver panels on this site. On the observational side lots pacific islanders have enjoyed kava for what is generally believed a couple thousand years with no liver issues.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I'm gong to forget the part about liver damage and just say congratulations for finding kava! Excellent. I think you've found kava and kava has found you. That you both enjoy it together is just awesome. My wife and I are ex-drinkers and now kava enthusiasts, I'm not a kavasseur, just a kavasiast. But it's been extra great to have a good companion on this kava adventure. She was just saying to me this morning how much better things are, the clarity, getting your life back, to which I chimed in "and no hangovers, ever!" We've been drinking kava now for two years, very glad we went through this. Think I'll have a shell now to celebrate.

Oh, as for the damage, I consume on avg 8 TBS of medium grind a day, which I stretch out to 3 litres of grog. I never take any breaks and I drink grog every day. No liver damage yet and I am constantly being checked and have posted results here elsewhere. So far so good. My impression is that if you don't take any other drugs and haven't already compromised your livers and only drink grog, you should be just fine, but by all means get your blood panel done once a year. Never hurts to be on top of things.

Bula!

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
We've been drinking kava now for two years, very glad we went through this
You sound like you've been drinking kava for more than two years. I consider you an expert at this point. The only echelons higher are most likely in the science-y territory that I wouldn't expect most kava drinkers to have committed to memory. You also get bonus points for casual mentions of this "Colmar" fellow like he's some kind of dark apostle. Two years, however brief or long, have been well-spent, it sounds like!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
You sound like you've been drinking kava for more than two years. I consider you an expert at this point. The only echelons higher are most likely in the science-y territory that I wouldn't expect most kava drinkers to have committed to memory. You also get bonus points for casual mentions of this "Colmar" fellow like he's some kind of dark apostle. Two years, however brief or long, have been well-spent, it sounds like!
Two years and a day, or two or three, but that means I'm still a noob.

As for Colmar, if he didn't exist it would be necessary to invent him. He's an archetype, an idea as well as a person. Plus he has a soul patch.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Drinking kava with others is one of the most fun ways. Traditionally kava was used at community gatherings. It's meant to be social.
Definitely look at the studies suggested above. Check your meds if you take any. Do not mix kava with tylenol or MAOIs. I take several meds, but they seem to be working fine with kava.

Status
Not open for further replies.