What's new

Return of the Head-i

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
I thought I was strong, but I was not strong enough. I could not control the gag. I left kava about 3 years ago, as I just could not handle the flavour any more. I also found Kava kept me up at night, which was frustrating and wrong. The dark side won with me; I returned to booze after my taste buds threatened to fall off.

I loved Kava. I didn’t touch booze for two years. I must return to Kava. Specifically the three pounds of GHK that feel forgotten in my cupboards.

In the last few years have there been any miracle inventions, products or recipes I should know about?

Pecorino

Kava Curious
I had the same problem. None of the methods of killing the taste I tried worked. However, when it got really bad, I started to straight-out eat the instants, without bothering with dissolving them. It worked, but may be expensive. Maybe get a bag or two of instants, drink the normal kava (taking special care about the proper preparation - you certainly don't want any powder in your drink in your condition!) and make a break for eating instants whenever you feel you can't take it anymore?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I thought I was strong, but I was not strong enough. I could not control the gag. I left kava about 3 years ago, as I just could not handle the flavour any more. I also found Kava kept me up at night, which was frustrating and wrong. The dark side won with me; I returned to booze after my taste buds threatened to fall off.

I loved Kava. I didn’t touch booze for two years. I must return to Kava. Specifically the three pounds of GHK that feel forgotten in my cupboards.

In the last few years have there been any miracle inventions, products or recipes I should know about?
don't give up on using an AluBall and lots of ice if you haven't tried that yet. Mostly it's a question of time, not technique, as your taste buds adapt. Or don't.

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
I'll admit to not being able to stand the taste of kava.......and believe me I've tried to like it.
I've tried many things from mixing it with various juices, lemon or lime juice extracts, etc.
What I've found that works the best for me is simply adding a little chocolate sauce like what you make chocolate milk with. No where near as much....just a couple of small squirts to taste. I almost enjoy it now!
Mind you I'm mixing this in with micronized kava so just micro, water, and a bit of the chocolate sauce. I don't see why one couldn't mix this in after they made their grog by either traditional means or the AluBall though.
Worth a try, you might be surprised.....I was!

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Kava is something that is just not going to taste very good to most people. It's peppery dirt. But I've found that getting the effects is worth swallowing the grog since the onset is quick. The heavier kavas tend to have a more peppery taste so if you're just trying to expand your mind rather than fall asleep, the heady kavas on average tend to have a lighter taste, and therefore, easier to swallow.

I do +1 the Aluball idea. Aluballs are great for quick kava.

chasemandingo

Kava Enthusiast
I find that acidic juice helps to wash away the taste. I just use some mixed berry diet V8 splash when I need a chaser. Or knead up a batch of trad using coconut water. Really good for more mild kavas like Fijians, Tongans and the like. Peppery kavas from Vanuatu might try chocolate milk. I get the insomnia every now and then too. Usually means I need to take a day or two off. Pauluk, I wander if it reminds you of anything else that happens to numb ones mouth? Lol

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
So lucky. I quite like the taste. Or is it the numbness? I like that sensation.
I rarely ever get numbness any more, not since a long time ago. I think it goes away for a lot of people, as does the aversion to the taste, but it takes time and habituation and doesn't happen to everyone.

Maybe.

Hell, I don't know.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
I find that acidic juice helps to wash away the taste. I just use some mixed berry diet V8 splash when I need a chaser. Or knead up a batch of trad using coconut water. Really good for more mild kavas like Fijians, Tongans and the like. Peppery kavas from Vanuatu might try chocolate milk. I get the insomnia every now and then too. Usually means I need to take a day or two off. Pauluk, I wander if it reminds you of anything else that happens to numb ones mouth? Lol
Literally no,idea.