What's new

How long does .5 lb of Kava lasts if drank daily?

Hi, new here.
How long does 1/2lb last if it is drank daily? How long for 1lb?

Also, how much Kava (tsp, TB, etc) needed to prepare a cup of Kava beverage in order to receive the positive benefits?

I'm trying to stop drinking alcohol again and this time to remain sober, I'm a heavy drinker. I'm about to order my first Kava, either 1/2lb or 1lb.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hi, new here.
How long does 1/2lb last if it is drank daily? How long for 1lb?

Also, how much Kava (tsp, TB, etc) needed to prepare a cup of Kava beverage in order to receive the positive benefits?

I'm trying to stop drinking alcohol again and this time to remain sober, I'm a heavy drinker. I'm about to order my first Kava, either 1/2lb or 1lb.
Thanks.
This thread will hopefully answer your question on the "average" amount people drink (TBS and grams)
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/what-is-an-average-dose-in-grams-of-kava-per-session.2569/
Since you are new I would recommend a 1/2lb or a sampler pack to find a kava you like before dropping money on a full lb.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
Trial and error is your best friend since kava can be so highly variable between individuals. I’m also a heavy drinker (alcohol) and just as heavy of a kava drinker when I have it on hand. depending on how good the grog is I’ve had a pound last me anywhere from 4 to 12 days.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
In general, figure on 1 TBS or about 6g of medium grind per cup (250ml) of grog. (in actual practice using freezer makas I push it more to about 350 - 400ml per TBS)

there are typically about 72 TBS to a pound.

I go through a pound in 9 days but I usually drink around 12 cups a day of kava, mainly for pleasure, and I mean a lot of pleasure. Gonna go get a shell right now, just thinking about it. Anyway, how much one needs or wants can be highly subjective. For most medical benefits I reckon you can get that on a cup a day of grog. So I'm getting a cup a day of health and 11 cups a day of pleasure. Except I also enjoy the health cup, too. And the pleasure ones do my health some good. It costs me about $4/day to drink lots and lots of kava pretty much all day long. I am at the extreme end of the scale. Most people routinely drink far less than that and most don't drink kava anything like near as often. I just offer this for helping to define parameters. You need to know this stuff going in so I hope it helps.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Whereas as a Krunked big session for me is 3 dessert spoons over 5 hours. Thank goodness
As it aint cheap to get it to the uk.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
When drinking kava daily, I was going through 2.5 pounds a month with how I was mixing. I believe I was averaging 6-8 shells a night. Your kava drinking will likely ebb and flow.

BaySailor

Kava Curious
A half pound drinking daily using a single Aluball will last me about 5-6 days. I buy my dry stuff at the local Kava bar, and I get fresh-prepared from them when I stop by to get my dry, so not using the dry that day, then about 6 days in between.
FWIW, I quit drinking when my son was born almost 25 years ago. 'Discovered' kava last year, and it's been a wonderful way to relive the best social aspects of drinking without the downsides. Never once has kava made me think about drinking alcohol again, by the way.