What's new

Kava Taste Hack

ShannyinSobriety

Kava Enthusiast
I have to share this awesome discovery I made 2 days ago, people may already know, but may not. It's official Kava can taste like you licked something off the dusty back end of a Rhino, its bitter, earthy and sometimes chunky depending on your method of preparation and that's why you make the "Kava face." I have hacked the bitter Kava taste, right out of the equation! Simply add cinnamon, sugar (I have homemade cinnamon sugar) and a small amount of clove powder and stir to individual servings. You cant taste it, even if it is toss and wash on the run type of a deal, it COMPLETELY masks the bitterness and is rather enjoyable of you like those heady spices. I should add that I use milk with my Kava instead of water, because it settles my stomach and has a lot of lipids. Some people like the taste of Kava, it is still an issue for me at times, so just wanted to share. And if you get an upset stomach from Kava- the best thing I have ever found is fresh ginger tea. Which was recommended to me by another member on this site. SO I always have a few ginger paws in my veggie basket. :)

Last edited:

river

Kava Curious
just tried it (with some changes)::chugger::

I din't have glove powder, so I used cinnamon, ginger and cardamom, all in powder form in my almond rice milk and water. And 2 very generous teespoons Instant Kava from GKE. Tastes like Indian Chai with pepper. Not what you would drink just for the taste but not like the back end of a rhino either.
Next week I try it with micronised which I find harder to get and keep down.

Awesome discovery!!! ::hugsmiley::

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
I went to the market today & picked up some cinnamon sugar & clove powder mixed it all into my root powder then strained it. Perfecto
imagesCAI1640W.jpg

I've tried several things now with no success but this does not have the kava taste, it taste like Chai to me.

You nailed it Shanny

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
Have you tried blending the passionflower as well, @ObiNouekFoNobl ?
So far I've seen a noticeable increase in the strength of kava when drinking a passionflower based tea with kava.

I have experimented with taking passionflower extract capsules
Passion Flower Extract
(Passiflora incarnata) (Flower and Aerial Parts)
(min. 3.5% total flavonoids as Vitexin and Isovitexin) 700 mg

without seeing this same beneficial increase in effects of kava.

I am awaiting the shipment of this organic passionflower powder from France to mix in with the kava root powder along with Shanny's secret sauce & will report back.

Last edited:

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I very well may have re-named something. You've been around quite a long time. Is it this? (http://kavaforums.com/forum/brdc-document/kava-glossary.10/)
Yep that’s the one! I like to quote it when ppl threaten to become Kava ghosts :)

Kavaneer
A person who invents or discovers a new, never been done before, way to prepare or consume kava and lives to tell about it. (see related: Kavaghost)
Kavaghost
A person who didn't survive being a Kavaneer and now shares shells with Casper.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I am about to try this interesting combination of "kava + cinnamon"
For along time, I flavored my kava with cocoa powder and sweetener.
And I basically got tired of it.
Now, cinnamon + sweetener is a nice, refreshing change.
If the kava is weak, I can handle it without flavor. But if the kava is strong, I need a flavor in it.