What's new

Fresh Hawaiian?!

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Far be it from me to not give credit to a competitor doing something cool. Root of Happiness is selling full pounds of fresh frozen Hawaiian for only $35?!?! Tyler doesn't post much in public forums, so I figured I'd toot the horn for him.

This is some amazing stuff at a fantastic price. I highly recommend people try fresh kava at least once. This is a good opportunity to do so.

Good work, Tyler!

Krunkonaut

The life of a kavaholic
Far be it from me to not give credit to a competitor doing something cool. Root of Happiness is selling full pounds of fresh frozen Hawaiian for only $35?!?! Tyler doesn't post much in public forums, so I figured I'd toot the horn for him.

This is some amazing stuff at a fantastic price. I highly recommend people try fresh kava at least once. This is a good opportunity to do so.

Good work, Tyler!
The only place you can find where vendors are promoting each other! Awesome :)

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I'm gonna buy a high-powered Ninja blender (Vitamix too expensive) for the sole purpose of making good batches of fresh kava at home. Regular blenders just can't decimate the root fibers enough...the most fibrous parts end up getting twisted around the blades. I suppose I could go PV style and use a meat grinder, but I think the high powered blender might even be better than those.

Anyway, I'm glad Tyler is selling fresh so I can treat myself every now and then, his is pre-ground too. I bought some of the fresh mahakea from RoH a couple months back, but it gave me crazy sleep/nightmare torment every night when I slept on it. Now he has Hanakap'ai fresh though, which makes me wanna try some again. I hope someone can get some Vanuatu cultivars growing in Hawai'i so we can more easily get those fresh too. $35 lb sounds like a good deal...but one pound of fresh only makes a couple batches for me.

Now here's a plug for Bula Kava House, Nambawan is back in stock at $69 lb...equivalent kavas of this quality/process like 5 Star and WOW! are currently $75.
drink ᵘᵖ. ::chugger::

Last edited:

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
The Hanakapi'ai I got from RoH is good! This stuff won't last long once you get your mitts on it.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I’ve gotten to know Tyler over the last few years. Solid as a rock. A good guy putting up a good fight for the good of the root!

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
And PS - You should be able to get about a gallon of good fresh kava from a pound of frozen root.
I learned this the hard way when I got mine. I made a batch with about 4tbsp tablespoons and it was very weak. I made 2L with the rest of the root and it was great but a bit on the weaker side due to my ignorance.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I learned this the hard way when I got mine. I made a batch with about 4tbsp tablespoons and it was very weak. I made 2L with the rest of the root and it was great but a bit on the weaker side due to my ignorance.
Preparation is very important with fresh. A lot of blending, and some strong squeezing through a strainer that isn't too fine is imperative.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Bummer. I missed it. When they offered this before I was a bit skeptical based on the weather. Now that it is reliably cold I was going to jump on it.
What do folks feel the best way to prepare this pre-ground frozen mash? I have a nice ninja blender that works pretty well. You think blending in roughly 4qts of water (or similar ratio) and then straining in a bag is the best? I am guessing that simple kneading is not enough?

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Bummer. I missed it. When they offered this before I was a bit skeptical based on the weather. Now that it is reliably cold I was going to jump on it.
What do folks feel the best way to prepare this pre-ground frozen mash? I have a nice ninja blender that works pretty well. You think blending in roughly 4qts of water (or similar ratio) and then straining in a bag is the best? I am guessing that simple kneading is not enough?
Going by my questions to Judd, I'd say this is the best way to go. What I'm wondering is if you're doing a 2nd wash if you should knead the solids first and then blend it for the 2nd wash or blend it for both washes.

If they're out, we'll have to wait for them to restock for more. Although when I last visited RoH's website, the fresh kava option wasn't even visible. No "out of stock" page, just not an option anymore.

EDIT: I just clicked the link Judd provided and that took me to the product page with "NOT IN STOCK." It's when I try to find it on the main product page that I can't find the fresh kava page.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
EDIT: I just clicked the link Judd provided and that took me to the product page with "NOT IN STOCK." It's when I try to find it on the main product page that I can't find the fresh kava page.
My guess is outside of this forum and possibly r/kava there are few diehard kava heads who would entertain paying for fresh kava. So I am not surprised that it is not obvious how to get to it from the main page, especially when you have limited stock.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I'm gonna buy a high-powered Ninja blender (Vitamix too expensive) for the sole purpose of making good batches of fresh kava at home. Regular blenders just can't decimate the root fibers enough...the most fibrous parts end up getting twisted around the blades. I suppose I could go PV style and use a meat grinder, but I think the high powered blender might even be better than those.

Anyway, I'm glad Tyler is selling fresh so I can treat myself every now and then, his is pre-ground too. I bought some of the fresh mahakea from RoH a couple months back, but it gave me crazy sleep/nightmare torment every night when I slept on it. Now he has Hanakap'ai fresh though, which makes me wanna try some again. I hope someone can get some Vanuatu cultivars growing in Hawai'i so we can more easily get those fresh too. $35 lb sounds like a good deal...but one pound of fresh only makes a couple batches for me.

Now here's a plug for Bula Kava House, Nambawan is back in stock at $69 lb...equivalent kavas of this quality/process like 5 Star and WOW! are currently $75.
drink ᵘᵖ. ::chugger::
The 1500 Watt Ninja is what I have been using for several year now to pulverize the chopped, cleaned, root/stump mix from any 'awa plant I harvest from my yard. It works fantastic. I pre-freeze chopped and store at about zero. Then partially defrost. Right now with 'Opihikao a 5 ounce cup is sufficient. Hanakapi'ai (Uliuli a opulepule no hoʻi ) is the multi-colored 'awa cultivar first found on Kaua'i and is also wonderful.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
The 1500 Watt Ninja is what I have been using for several year now to pulverize the chopped, cleaned, root/stump mix from any 'awa plant I harvest from my yard. It works fantastic. I pre-freeze chopped and store at about zero. Then partially defrost. Right now with 'Opihikao a 5 ounce cup is sufficient. Hanakapi'ai (Uliuli a opulepule no hoʻi ) is the multi-colored 'awa cultivar first found on Kaua'i and is also wonderful.
Glad to hear you confirm that the Ninja is sufficient, considering your experience with fresh root.

Both kavas you mentioned, ‘Opihikao and Hanakapi’ai have been the most effective Hawaiian cultivars for me...in my limited experience with them anyway. Hopefully I’ll someday figure out how to get to a point where I can pull them fresh out of my yard like you. ::happyshell::

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
you realize I was so jealous reading this I actually screamed? Had to drink some old dry grey dusty kava just to recover