What's new

Experience Report : An unusual kava experience by adding a flavored electrolyte powder

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
In the health food store, they sell these single-serving packets of powder, full of electrolytes, and usually fruit-flavored.
So, that gave me an idea, that was two-fold in its goal.
First, I thought, if I could subtly add electrolytes to my kava, it will keep my hydrated, since that's what electrolytes do, and hence, it may prevent or reduce nausea. Secondly, since they have a nice fruity flavor, it might make the kava taste more tolerable, and perhaps even pleasant taste.
The results were not at all what I expected.
First, after I mixed it in a shaker bottle, there was a separation. The kava appeared to have 3 levels of separation. ( I can post a pic of that )
Then, after drinking exactly my normal amount of kava, I felt about 3 times more krunk than usual. More krunk than ever.
However it didn't end there. Unlike my normal session, the effects continued to multiply for hours after that, even though I had stopped consuming.

So, this "heavy krunk" feeling began to build to the point of being "over-krunked" to where it was actually unpleasant, and then onto the point that
I started to feel sick. And then sicker. But it wasn't "nausea" sick. Apparently the electrolytes did their job of preventing the nausea.
But kind of like the feeling when you drink too much alcohol.
I began to feel dizzy. Began to "almost" feel like I would pass out. Though I wasn't quite at that level of feeling. Just close to it.
And just strange sensations in my head. Best way I could describe it is like feverish.
I suddenly felt the need to lay down, and put an ice pack on my head. Eventually that made it better.

But the whole experience was strange. Did the electrolytes (or perhaps some other 'inactive' ingredient) actually over-potentiate the kava ?
Or could the whole experience be just a coincidence and unrelated to the packet I added ?
Below is a link to the actual product and its ingredient listing.
I'm curious if anyone with more of a deeper understanding can tell me what happened and why ?

https://www.ultimareplenisher.com/products/ingredients/

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
In the health food store, they sell these single-serving packets of powder, full of electrolytes, and usually fruit-flavored.
First, I thought, if I could subtly add electrolytes to my kava, it will keep my hydrated, since that's what electrolytes do, and hence, it may prevent or reduce nausea. Secondly, since they have a nice fruity flavor, it might make the kava taste more tolerable, and perhaps even pleasant taste.
First, after I mixed it in a shaker bottle, there was a separation. The kava appeared to have 3 levels of separation. ( I can post a pic of that )
Then, after drinking exactly my normal amount of kava, I felt about 3 times more krunk than usual. More krunk than ever.
However it didn't end there. Unlike my normal session, the effects continued to multiply for hours after that, even though I had stopped consuming.

So, this "heavy krunk" feeling began to build to the point of being "over-krunked" to where it was actually unpleasant, and then onto the point that
I started to feel sick. And then sicker. But it wasn't "nausea" sick. Apparently the electrolytes did their job of preventing the nausea.
I began to feel dizzy. Began to "almost" feel like I would pass out. Though I wasn't quite at that level of feeling. Just close to it.
And just strange sensations in my head. Best way I could describe it is like feverish.
I suddenly felt the need to lay down, and put an ice pack on my head. Eventually that made it better.

But the whole experience was strange. Did the electrolytes (or perhaps some other 'inactive' ingredient) actually over-potentiate the kava ?
Or could the whole experience be just a coincidence and unrelated to the packet I added ?
I'm curious if anyone with more of a deeper understanding can tell me what happened and why ?

First, I would just like to point out that you don't need electrolytes to hydrate. Plain water does that just fine and adding electrolytes does not improve your hydration. They are there to help with long lasting endurance exercise where you are sweating a lot [sorry just a pet peeve of mine]. That said they are not harmful and I have had all of the electrolytes listed before, during, and after drinking kava without the effect you are describing. My only guess is that maybe the addition of the citric acid or malic acid helped breakdown and release more KLs than usual?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

Very interesting. I just purchased the variety pack and will do some experimenting myself.

Edit: Should be here monday.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor

Question 1... are there any b vitamins added to the electrolyte powders?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
First, I would just like to point out that you don't need electrolytes to hydrate. Plain water does that just fine and adding electrolytes does not improve your hydration. They are there to help with long lasting endurance exercise where you are sweating a lot [sorry just a pet peeve of mine]. That said they are not harmful and I have had all of the electrolytes listed before, during, and after drinking kava without the effect you are describing. My only guess is that maybe the addition of the citric acid or malic acid helped breakdown and release more KLs than usual?
I get that to a degree, only elite athletes in extreme situations are likely to need electrolytes. Would someone very dehydrated from a night of drinking kava (which is often me) not benefit from the electrolytes at all? Bear in mind I struggle to drink any water at all during a session of kava, I just manage a few mouthfuls when I go to bed, sleep solidly for 7 to 9 hours (I love my heavy kavas) and then wake up feeling pretty dry!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
This particular one did not have B.
The only vitamin it has is C.
Although, I can't speak for any other brands out there.
Ok. It could be something to do with the vitamin C. The other thing I am thinking is that doesn't kava affect sodium in the body in some way? You've put in presumably extra sodium, potassium and whatever else but probably mostly sodium. Could be something to do with it. As you described it, potentiated it.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Sorry, I didn't see the product link at the bottom. One thing that really stands out to me is that it contains zinc. Zinc on an empty stomach is definitely going to make you feel ill.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I get that to a degree, only elite athletes in extreme situations are likely to need electrolytes. Would someone very dehydrated from a night of drinking kava (which is often me) not benefit from the electrolytes at all? Bear in mind I struggle to drink any water at all during a session of kava, I just manage a few mouthfuls when I go to bed, sleep solidly for 7 to 9 hours (I love my heavy kavas) and then wake up feeling pretty dry!
It is possible that kava messes with your electrolyte balance...but I guess I have not seen too much evidence of it. In general, for the average person we already take in a lot of sodium through our food and the human body has an amazing way of re-balancing on its own. That said I find drinks with some salt/electorlytes and a bit of flavor tastier so I tend to drink them more often than plain water.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
In general, for the average person we already take in a lot of sodium through our food and the human body has an amazing way of re-balancing on its own.
It's not quite the same, but people underestimate how much our body tries to maintain homeostasis when it comes to getting rid of excess anything. Your body does a great job at letting you know when you're missing a lot of something or when you have way too much of something and we sadly ignore the signs much of the time.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
@Zaphod , I was in the habit of eating those cutie mandarin oranges while drinking kava and then realized it was making me very ill each time! The citric acid really doesn't do well with it at all.

@Plantacious , I tried this once two years ago with the electrolyte powder in the grog. The brand I had made the grog so disgusting that I couldn't even drink it. I really think it's the acid as Zaphod says.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Things didn't start to go downhill until later, and I don't think I ate for a while either, so maybe next time if I eat right after the kava, I'll be okay.
Then that would dull the effects pretty quickly I would have thought. I would abandon the electrolytes in the kava idea, drink the kava on it's own, then when you're ready to eat mix the drink and drink it with your food.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
@Plantacious , I tried this once two years ago with the electrolyte powder in the grog. The brand I had made the grog so disgusting that I couldn't even drink it. I really think it's the acid as Zaphod says.
Then that would dull the effects pretty quickly I would have thought. I would abandon the electrolytes in the kava idea, drink the kava on it's own, then when you're ready to eat mix the drink and drink it with your food.
I could try what Krunkie said, and just use a portion of the serving of electrolytes, then maybe I get the good without the bad.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I just did 1/3 of the dosage of the electrolyte package. After 1 serving of kava, I have a headache.
I may not have discovered anything of value, after all.
Will edit this post, if anything further occurs, positive or negative.

So, in between my 1st and 2nd drink, I had a ginger chewy candy, and some water, and started to feel better.
So, stopped after my 2nd kava, which is my usual kava quantity. The headache was gone. The effects were slightly enhanced.
I guess it's a matter of individual judgment whether it's worth it, to purchase this, then carefully measure a smaller amount, for just a small enhancement.
Although of course, results won't be the same for everyone.

Last edited: