What's new

Your Aluball Ritual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
I've been rocking the Aluball for a bit now. It's great. Curious what your prep method using it is. Here's mine

I have two Aluballs. I almost fill each half ball, and then screw them back together. Sometimes I add cinnamon because Shannon in sobriety was right.
I'll do a minute ish wash, chug, and then a second wash.

Some things I've been wondering
  • Am I filling them too much?
  • Does anyone use hot water?
  • Does anyone freeze the makas and do something with it? If so what?
Bula!

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
I don't think you're filling too much, I think half is just about right. Sometimes less is more with the aluball because the less amount packed into the ball, the more it can mix and it will extract a bit better. That's why they caution to not overfill the ball... I occasionally use warm water but never hot water because it can actually start to leak out of the bottle. Never frozen the makas but some do, and then they use them in their next traditional prep within a day or 2. Sounds to me like you're doing it perfectly, I do it the exact same way and always get good results! ::happyshell:: Although i've never used Cinnamon, it sounds intriguing. I think one of my aluballs may have broken last night, the grog looked.. off. I didn't inspect it much further but I didn't drink it. Hoping it didn't break, but regardless there was some black chunks floating around in there. Idk?

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
There are many good threads on the Forums about freezing the makas for reuse. One thing that you didn't mention is making sure you clean the aluball after each use. After dumping the maka, run very hot water through the mesh and then rub with cloth or paper towel. This will help prevent buildup and prolong the life of the aluball quite a bit. If you don't keep them clean, you begin getting less effective kava after a short time.

I've been rocking the Aluball for a bit now. It's great. Curious what your prep method using it is. Here's mine

I have two Aluballs. I almost fill each half ball, and then screw them back together. Sometimes I add cinnamon because Shannon in sobriety was right.
I'll do a minute ish wash, chug, and then a second wash.

Some things I've been wondering
  • Am I filling them too much?
  • Does anyone use hot water?
  • Does anyone freeze the makas and do something with it? If so what?
Bula!

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
I do four Aluballs in one of the newer models, each with 2.5tbsp :D Shake for 30secs-1min, and pour. I do two washes, after which I don't feel any effect...and then freeze the makas...I was blending 2 sessions worth of defrosted makas to make the mongrel brew. Until yesterday, when I thought, Meh, it's hot, and I have a superpowered blender, I'll blend it up straight from the freezer...Big Mistake. Bye bye blender jug. Hello kava and glass on the walls, on the ceiling, in the toaster. :banghead:

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
@Krunky is right that the very best way to get the last grog out of the balls is a circular motion, counter-clockwise. It works better than any other technique, I found.
In my mind, I'm imagining a visual of 2 different ways to do this circular, counter-clockwise motion, and not sure which one you mean - but I'm not quite sure how to verbally communicate it.
I'll try.
Is this circular motion like a "horizontal" circle, or a "vertical" circle, if that makes sense ?

@Krunʞy

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
In my mind, I'm imagining a visual of 2 different ways to do this circular, counter-clockwise motion, and not sure which one you mean - but I'm not quite sure how to verbally communicate it.
I'll try.
Is this circular motion like a "horizontal" circle, or a "vertical" circle, if that makes sense ?

@Krunʞy
You would hold the bottle straight up with the ball(s) at the bottom of the empty bottle. You push it forward while raising it slightly then suddenly to the left, then pull it towards you, then to the right then forwards. Do that three or four times, then pour the expressed kavalactone-rich grog mud on the top of your shell, looks impressive and rich. Repeat until no more liquid is expressed from the AluBalls. There is more, you just can’t get it till after the freezerphase.

That’s as clear as I can make it without video. Krunky gets all the cred for this. I tried every other way. His way is best.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
You would hold the bottle straight up with the ball(s) at the bottom of the empty bottle.
Thank you for getting in-depth !
But how do you make grog with an empty bottle ?
Doesn't it come out a little dry without any liquid ? :eek:
Or was this just a practice run ?

Last edited:

kw2292

Kava Curious
Thank you for getting in-depth !
But how do you make grog with an empty bottle ?
Doesn't it come out a little dry without any liquid ? :eek:
Or was this just a practice run ?
Believe he is referring to the leftover liquid which is still in the ball after the shell has been poured from the bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.