What's new

Kava Poll Everyone's favorite vendor? Looking to try new strains etc.

UmbrellaOps

Kava Curious
Hey all,
I am bordering on removing my, "new member" status, but I am still relatively new to the Kava community, as I had my first Kava experience in December. I have tried Kalm with Kava (Fijian Loa Waka,) Bula House (Nambawanta) and Kavafide (Kava Supreme,) and (Kava Tonga). I have done the tradition preparation many times, but I find using the Bluebottle significantly more convenient and sometimes more effective. Out of the limited Kava I have tried, Kava Supreme is my favorite, almost tying with Bula House Nambawanta. I am not a fan of Kalm with Kava's Loa Waka, although I do find them to be a great company, offering swift delivery and a user friendly website.

My question is; considering I tend to be a fan of "heavy" Kavas rather than "heady" Kava's, so far, who should I try as my next vendor and which should I try? I really want to buy more from Bula House, but they seem to be out of stock on a consistent basis. Any thoughts, bits of wisdom or advice in general is greatly appreciated!

~Bula~

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hey all,
I am bordering on removing my, "new member" status, but I am still relatively new to the Kava community, as I had my first Kava experience in December. I have tried Kalm with Kava (Fijian Loa Waka,) Bula House (Nambawanta) and Kavafide (Kava Supreme,) and (Kava Tonga). I have done the tradition preparation many times, but I find using the Bluebottle significantly more convenient and sometimes more effective. Out of the limited Kava I have tried, Kava Supreme is my favorite, almost tying with Bula House Nambawanta. I am not a fan of Kalm with Kava's Loa Waka, although I do find them to be a great company, offering swift delivery and a user friendly website.

My question is; considering I tend to be a fan of "heavy" Kavas rather than "heady" Kava's, so far, who should I try as my next vendor and which should I try? I really want to buy more from Bula House, but they seem to be out of stock on a consistent basis. Any thoughts, bits of wisdom or advice in general is greatly appreciated!

~Bula~
Kava Time. Basically anything, but especially Savusavu

and/or

Squanch waka

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Until BKH restocks... realkava.com 5 Star. Keep some Supreme around as you experiment, it's also a good mixer when you inevitably get some sub-par root during your experimentation

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Anyone tried the 5 star kava from Real a Kava?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it’s the standard all kavas should be held to. It’s the closest representation of a proper Vanuatu/nakamal style kava that you can get with ‘dry kava’. Unfortunately it’s expensive, but always fully effective, pleasant, balanced. If I could afford it, I would keep it in stock always...and if I could only have one kava (powder) for the rest of my life, it would be that one.

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Maybe it’s just KWK’s Fijian I don’t like. It makes me jittery and anxious. I don’t why. I want something similar to the heavy kava supreme.
I am the same with heady Fijians, they never seem to work nicely for me. Try something like ROH Superior Fijian and you'll get a much better experience.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Is it all Fijian? I didn't like KWK. I tend to like Vanuatu.
KwK offers kavas from other island nations besides Fiji. But even within Fiji, there are many varieties of kava, both heady and heavy. I haven't had Kava Time, but @Krunkie McKrunkface wouldn't recommend them if they didn't offer any heavy kavas like what you're looking for. If you liked KwK's service, give their Vula Waka a try. It is considered "moderately heavy" so if it's not heavy enough, you could throw in some of their Borongoru (a Vanuatu heavy kava that they offer) or some of your Nambawan stock you currently have. Whenever either BHK or KwK restock it, Melo Melo is a heavy kava that makes you "melo" (read: mellow). Melo Melo is another Vanuatu kava variety.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
If you like heavier kava... KWK borongoru, Kavafied Kava Supreme, GHK hanakapiʻai, GHK hiwa, BKH melomelo.

For whatever reason KWK's original Ambae melomelo was balanced. BKH's was a little heavier. Each batch can vary though, and as far as I know those selections are long gone.

Hanakapiʻai is a nicd heavy Hawaiian. Hiwa had a similar feel but it was once kapu, like moʻi. I keep some hiwa around for special occasions. For everyday aches and pains, or couch surfing... Vanuatu cultivars or hanakapiʻai are great.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Maybe it’s just KWK’s Fijian I don’t like. It makes me jittery and anxious. I don’t why. I want something similar to the heavy kava supreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Supreme has always been pretty good. I also prefer balanced heavy kava and those have become a rarity. You will probably like BKH Nangol Noble when it's back in stock, BKH Melo has been good also. The realkava 5 Star is very clean and balanced. I'd prefer it to be heavier but it hasn't disappointed me yet. KWK has a couple of heavier leaning products but it's been a few years since I've gotten much out of any of them. Nakamal at Home Stone has been above average in strength lately and has had a good balance of head/body effects. Kava Time or Squanch are good options if you want to give more Fijians a try but they will always have a different feel than the stronger stuff from Vanuatu. I haven't bought enough from RoH to make recommendations there but @Edward has drank them a lot lately and is a strong/heavy kava lover.

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, it’s the standard all kavas should be held to. It’s the closest representation of a proper Vanuatu/nakamal style kava that you can get with ‘dry kava’. Unfortunately it’s expensive, but always fully effective, pleasant, balanced. If I could afford it, I would keep it in stock always...and if I could only have one kava (powder) for the rest of my life, it would be that one.
Wow. That’s quite the review. I just looked on the review page but couldn’t find anything on the 5 star powder. Did I miss it?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Wow. That’s quite the review. I just looked on the review page but couldn’t find anything on the 5 star powder. Did I miss it?
I've heard that it's the same kava as Wow from N@H and they do seem very similar.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Supreme has always been pretty good. I also prefer balanced heavy kava and those have become a rarity. You will probably like BKH Nangol Noble when it's back in stock, BKH Melo has been good also. The realkava 5 Star is very clean and balanced. I'd prefer it to be heavier but it hasn't disappointed me yet. KWK has a couple of heavier leaning products but it's been a few years since I've gotten much out of any of them. Nakamal at Home Stone has been above average in strength lately and has had a good balance of head/body effects. Kava Time or Squanch are good options if you want to give more Fijians a try but they will always have a different feel than the stronger stuff from Vanuatu. I haven't bought enough from RoH to make recommendations there but @Edward has drank them a lot lately and is a strong/heavy kava lover.
ROH are a very underrated vendor.