What's new

Subtle or Atypical Effects it Took You Time to Notice?

Saghloqh

Kava Curious
So the more I partake in kava, the more I'm really beginning to think that a big part of reverse tolerance (at least for me) is simply the fact that the more experiences I have, the more "attuned" to kava's effects I seem to become.

For example, it took me a while to notice, but the work week has been flying by these last couple of weeks! It's not so much an acute effect as one that I haven't really noticed until I do a retrospective during the weekends, and notice that I'm significantly less stressed and bedraggled than normal by the time Friday rolls around.

Also, I hope this isn't TMI, but as soon as I've started a session, anything in my bowels gets moving. This isn't a bad thing at all for me because the medication I'm on gets me really stuck up.

Are there any effects/benefits that were either very subtle or just took you some time to notice? I'd love to hear them so I can keep on the lookout!

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
What you mentioned about work and the usual grind during the week is one of the first things I noticed much later. I didn't realize how stressed out I really was until I had kava in my life for that long and now I wonder how I made it without it. It's especially helpful in the Winter months when things are a lot more bumpy and uncomfortable. The cold does less damage when I'm protected by kava, really shown me how most of the damage cold does is from our bodies freaking out. My endurance has went through the roof out there so I can be more active all year round. I also noticed easier bowel movements, I never had an issue there but if something there kava is what does it.

Another major thing I get is appreciation for small things I never felt to the extent I did before. The sun on your skin, nice breakfast in the morning, going for a ride somewhere I like. Everything is just more satisfying while there is less of an element of hanging on to them in an addiction to comfort all the time. Also much more open minded when it comes to music now too, it removes this layer of judgement you may have had that was hindering your enjoyment of anything. You don't care if this person made that, or it's this genre or that, it just doesn't matter. Do you like it in that moment? All that matters.

Saghloqh

Kava Curious
In regards to appreciating the small things, I'm getting that a bit too... This may sound silly, but the other day I was into a session and realized that my jeans just felt really comfortable. Normally I don't like the way jeans feel on my legs, but it was like the kava was acting as a mental fabric softener. Crazy stud.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
For me the subtler stuff includes noticing more empathy and some heart-opening effects. I always try not to be a judgemental person and see other people's perspective already, but kava makes it a little easier to stay true to that goal. I may find myself getting upset or hurt by someone and then kind of take a step back and recognize the things i like about that perspn or remember that they are just another person with flaws and that any stress they cause me is just a reflection of their struggles as a human being and not a malicious stab at my own true self. They might be lashing out at the person standing in front of them, but that person is just a part of their environment caught up in the crossfire more than a deliberate aggression against me personally. On the other side it seems to help me recognize when I am doing the same to someone else. It helps me ask myself if I am really mad at somebody or if my unhappiness in that moment is coming from elsewhere but i am projecting it upon some person i have decided is an annoyance or threat in a certain scenario.

Kind of an overcomplicated explanation but hopefully that made some sense.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
For me the subtler stuff includes noticing more empathy and some heart-opening effects. I always try not to be a judgemental person and see other people's perspective already, but kava makes it a little easier to stay true to that goal. I may find myself getting upset or hurt by someone and then kind of take a step back and recognize the things i like about that perspn or remember that they are just another person with flaws and that any stress they cause me is just a reflection of their struggles as a human being and not a malicious stab at my own true self. They might be lashing out at the person standing in front of them, but that person is just a part of their environment caught up in the crossfire more than a deliberate aggression against me personally. On the other side it seems to help me recognize when I am doing the same to someone else. It helps me ask myself if I am really mad at somebody or if my unhappiness in that moment is coming from elsewhere but i am projecting it upon some person i have decided is an annoyance or threat in a certain scenario.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.

I get this too and couldn't have said it better. :woot:

Saghloqh

Kava Curious
Now that I have a bit more experience with kava I am incredibly unsurprised learning that a traditional use for it was conflict resolution.

I've been noticing that I am more inclined to seek people out and converse with them (in real life or online). It's weird because it's so incredibly not pushy. Any other substance I've experienced with social or empathogenic effects has been very in-your-face about it. I have always had issues with social anxiety so it's been an experience suddenly realizing that for the last couple hours I have willingly been seeking people out to engage with!

Also, another one I realized recently is on lower doses, when I am reading a book (which is probably too often for my own good) I much more easily enter that half-dreamy state where your eyes are taking in the words, but you don't actually experience your brain parsing them... instead your imagination has taken control and is visualizing the story taking place. It's crazy because when I was younger (like a kid and teenager) this happened very easily, but as I grew older it faded quite a bit. Glad it's back!

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
Very true. And, in my experience, kava seems to direct me toward certain kinds of books. Texts that mesh with the mindset.

Also, another one I realized recently is on lower doses, when I am reading a book (which is probably too often for my own good) I much more easily enter that half-dreamy state where your eyes are taking in the words, but you don't actually experience your brain parsing them... instead your imagination has taken control and is visualizing the story taking place. It's crazy because when I was younger (like a kid and teenager) this happened very easily, but as I grew older it faded quite a bit. Glad it's back!