What's new

Frozen fresh kava

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I did and it seemed ok. If you live in an area that has winter you should be fine because it's probably at refrigerator temp anyway. When mine arrived months back it was like 80 outside.

That being said, it is kinda disappointing that the vendor doesnt take more responsibility for packing the fresh root in a way that guarantees freshness and quality on arrival

Last edited:

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
I live in SoCal where it’s currently unusually chilly and wet! RofH is from Sacramento area? So you’d think yes, they could easily package it much better than they did. A plastic zip loc bag that wasn’t fully zipped and one small ice pack in one outer foil package. Definitely could do better.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
You can never know how long it spent above the safe temp level. We know that kava spoils extremely easily. On top of that fresh kava has way higher microbial content than dried powders. And it may become unsafe to consume way before it starts tasting funky.

Tbh the whole idea of sending easily perishable frozen product via mail is borderline crazy. In NZ anyone doing it at a commercial scale would be quickly shut down by the health/food safety authorities, but maybe your rules are different
I don't think it is crazy at all, and in fact many perishable food items are shipped within the continental US, through regular mail, in frozen packages. That being said most higher end places use insulated Styrofoam boxes and either a cold pack or dry ice. USPS, Fed-EX, UPS all have recommendations on their websites for delivery of perishables. I have gotten lobsters, steaks, chicken, cheesecake, and more shipped across country. RoH is shipping these with two sets of foil bubble wrapped packaging and a cold pack. As long as it starts frozen and is on-time delivery I don't think there is much of an issue. Do I think there is room for improvement? Yup, but it certainly is not borderline crazy.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
arrived today but by the time I got home, the ice pack had melted and the Kava didn’t appear to be frozen. Can I safely refreeze it?
Mine was not entirely frozen, but still pretty cold and I tossed it back in the freezer without a problem. You might want to double check when it shipped and how long it took to get to you.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Thanks for the info. The package was shipped in a regular plastic ziplock bag with one ice pack and just one outer foil envelope. It shipped on Tuesday and arrived on Thursday. Weather been cool here throughout California but I imagine that package started thawing in one day. I feel very reluctant to try the stuff now

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
You can never know how long it spent above the safe temp level. We know that kava spoils extremely easily. On top of that fresh kava has way higher microbial content than dried powders. And it may become unsafe to consume way before it starts tasting funky.

Tbh the whole idea of sending easily perishable frozen product via mail is borderline crazy. In NZ anyone doing it at a commercial scale would be quickly shut down by the health/food safety authorities, but maybe your rules are different
It's still a very new idea and it's something I want to succeed. Luckily when I got my fresh-ground from RoH in November, it was plenty cold outside and it didn't take long to get here once they shipped it. They could definitely improve on communication as well as insulating the merchandise. Like at least one other has said, they put the fresh-ground kava in a standard plastic bag (of the Ziploc variety, dunno what brands of those you have over there), but then they use an insulated back to package it, which they do a proper seal on. They seal a single-use ice pack with the bag. As a Minnesotan, luckily my kava's destination is somewhere nice and freezing in the winter. But once it gets summer in the northern hemisphere, I would show more concern for proper packaging, as I wouldn't want the hot sun getting at my kava while it sits on the front step. It gets toasty even up here in June and July.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thanks for the info. The package was shipped in a regular plastic ziplock bag with one ice pack and just one outer foil envelope. It shipped on Tuesday and arrived on Thursday. Weather been cool here throughout California but I imagine that package started thawing in one day. I feel very reluctant to try the stuff now
Give it to me!!

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector

Basically I agree with you and for sure fresh has enormous amounts of microbial content. However there must be a way to do it properly and safely. There are so many frozen products that come bulk and pre-packaged. I have mentioned before the times I helped out on Moloka'i in their very early days of fresh frozen shipping to Honolulu. We would pre-freeze the 'awa packets and take them to a company that shipped frozen fish to O'ahu. It worked then perfectly. Somehow this idea should be able to be expanded to ensure safe shipping of fresh frozen 'awa. Barges and Ships with Containers have freezing capability...costly yes, but in bulk it could work to the benefit of consumers and farmers. At least I think it could be figured out by someone with knowledge in this area of Commerce.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Basically I agree with you and for sure fresh has enormous amounts of microbial content. However there must be a way to do it properly and safely. There are so many frozen products that come bulk and pre-packaged. I have mentioned before the times I helped out on Moloka'i in their very early days of fresh frozen shipping to Honolulu. We would pre-freeze the 'awa packets and take them to a company that shipped frozen fish to O'ahu. It worked then perfectly. Somehow this idea should be able to be expanded to ensure safe shipping of fresh frozen 'awa. Barges and Ships with Containers have freezing capability...costly yes, but in bulk it could work to the benefit of consumers and farmers. At least I think it could be figured out by someone with knowledge in this area of Commerce.
These guys ship non-frozen sushi from Hawaii with some innovative packaging:
http://honolulufishmarket.com/packaging-1/

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
If ROH is reading this thread, this is where I bought my supplies to ship frozen kava a few years ago when we did a group buy from Pinner Organics.

https://www.uline.com/Grp_93/Insulated-Shippers-and-Supplies

Also, either they or the grower seriously is in need of a vacuum sealer.
It's been a while since I read the threads, but I recall ROH withdrawing from here a ways back. I do hope someone from there reads here whether or not it's Tyler these days.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I think a bunch of people read these forums that we wouldn't necessarily think would ;-)
The nice thing about the internet is how anonymous/pseudonymous you can be, at least casually. If we dug deep, we could find someone affiliated with RoH browsing the forums, but as is, I'll just complain for a minute that we don't have a known rep from RoH reading/posting here, then my focus will shift to something else. But your shout-out is well-placed. You want them to improve!

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Perhaps the Swanson's man can start delivering the kava. ::awesomesmiles::
Would dry ice instead of a freezer pack be too expensive? Might work better.

scaryjarri

Kava Curious
Mine made it to Oregon frozen. It took about 10 days but, until everyone is selling it, I'll be happy with how it went. It was good enough tht I bought another pound. A week ago so we'll see how it gets here. I would guess they dont ship it everyday but, probably in batches as it would take extra time.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Mine made it to Oregon frozen. It took about 10 days but, until everyone is selling it, I'll be happy with how it went. It was good enough tht I bought another pound. A week ago so we'll see how it gets here. I would guess they dont ship it everyday but, probably in batches as it would take extra time.
RoH grinds and ships their fresh-frozen kava Mondays thru Wednesdays. I found this out when I e-mailed them about a shipment. At the time I placed my order on a Friday.