What's new

Kava Poll Positive effects vs. Negative effects *poll*

When drinking a batch of kava, what percentage of positive and negative effects do you experience?

• 90%-100% pleasurable and/or positive effects, 0%-10% negative effects.

• 70% positive, 30% negative.

• 50% positive, 50% negative.

• 30% positive, 70% negative.

• 0%-10% positive, 90%-100% negative.

Results are only viewable after voting.

tarragon

Kava Curious
Man, that sounds like a practical joke; but thank you. I actually found that if I use an antiperspirant version instead of the regular, its not as bad. Also, topical application of coconut oil seems to help in general. But it doesn't change the fact that I'm due for a dermo break.
No joke, it really works for rashes, especially if they are painful. I have not had Dermoptera yet so I don't know if it works for that kind of rash. I'm really curious to find out so it would be a service to KF research if you try it and report back! Enjoy your break. Spell check wrote Dermoptera, I kinda like it, sounds like a flying lizard.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
No joke, it really works for rashes, especially if they are painful. I have not had Dermoptera yet so I don't know if it works for that kind of rash. I'm really curious to find out so it would be a service to KF research if you try it and report back! Enjoy your break. Spell check wrote Dermoptera, I kinda like it, sounds like a flying lizard.
No offense, but I'm probably not gonna try it, cause it sounds too sticky.
I totally thought of pterodactyl when I saw dermotera!!! Then I googled it and...

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I sometimes get an anxious and nervous feeling from kava, does anyone else get this? Btw, I'm new to the forum. Why cant I post threads?
is it a short feeling or a long duration? Many people get brief feelings at the beginning of a kava drinking session but it goes away. OTOH, some people feel it so strong they have to avoid kava and then most people don't feel any anxiousness or nervousness at all with kava.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
After drink for so long that I think I have an opinion here I would say...

Pros: Something for everyone under its spectrum of effects, there's a lot of ways to prepare it, impossible for me to panic on it, makes sleeping easier, impossible to be physically addictive (in my experience if I use a lot in 4-5 days in a row which doesn't happen much anyways I'll get some stimulant like bounce back after a day of not having it but it's easy to wait out, never progresses beyond that).

Cons: can cause some bloating or other digestive issues depending on person and how much you use, dermo wherever you're prone to it but that seems to arise from long term use anyways (with me hands and lips are sensitive to it) but all you need to do to reverse it stop using it so it's not permanent, if you have more than you can handle you can become lethargic and depressed, some people can't stand the taste or how long it takes to prep it, the price.

So a lot of the cons are mostly from the the roughness on the body of ground root itself and it only gets to be a bit too much for some further down the line. If your a heavier drinker and tend to have a lot at once for days when you do you're probably going need a more nutrient dense diet and learn how to balance it with daily life but it also won't prevent you from doing anything either. I'll sometimes get that initial anxiety upon drinking but I'm pretty sure that's only my body reacting to the sudden ingestion of kava physically before getting to work on it because it always disappears and I can sleep on it well later. I would say the dermo is the worst aspect of it if you get it, everything else is easily manageable if you have control. Except the price, can't do anything about that besides knowing what you like and normally use and stick to it without going overboard.

Transcent

Kava saved my life
could it be because of reverse tolerance? In theory RT is achieved because kavalactones are built up in your system which then potentiates any additional kavalactones you ingest right? Could it be that your body does not tolerate all the extra lactones built up in your body rather than the kava itself?

Pakavalolo

Kava Curious
My experience is 80 good and 20 bad or negative. I experience mild nausea, and sometimes headaches from Kava... but that can all be minimized or completely eliminated with water. One exeption is that with some kavas, the "afterglow" or come down that starts about 2 hours after the last shell can make me feel lethargic and have a general sense of unease that is hard to describe. 80% of the time, the experience is very enjoyable, relaxing, and helps with a few medical conditions.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Some kava give's me such a weird ball of anxiety in my stomach that isn't anxiety perse but just this uneasy almost tweaky feeling.
I've tried to figure out if it's just my morning tea that I'm having to close with kava or if other people have this too. Usually I get it after I eat on top of the kava.. it's not fun at all lol and typically the kava isn't hitting the usual way before it

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I forgot to mention the farts.
You might find that this is dependent on the kind of strainer bag and variety of kava you use. The first one or two batches of Kava Bati used to give me absolutely terrible gas, which I think was because those batches were VERY finely ground (so much so that I noticed a significant decrease in the volume of root left in my bag after kneading); later batches seemed a little courser and didn't cause this problem. Other varieties also weren't as bad w/regard to gas.
So how does something so highly fart-inducing as kava, become considered as a "social drink" ?

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
So how does something so highly fart-inducing as kava, become considered as a "social drink" ?
I find kava isn't very fart inducing even if it can build up gas in there, I'll usually burp getting it down but that's about it unless something else that had to come out was already in there. Plus is it true when kava is made for a lot of people and drank socially it's more watered down and a lot more is drank throughout the night? That would explain a lot too. Maybe I get too relaxed to fart much? I don't know but it certainly doesn't make anything smell either but then again my diet is pretty plain too.