What's new

Kava Recipe Simmered kava without Slime! <3

KavaCat

Meow.
Hey, I just wanted to mention after reading a thread a while back, about how someone got the most out of their kava, I figured out a way to simmer a LOT more stuff out of the kava without it getting that super-thick, slimy texture it does, if you just simmer medium grind. It's ezpz. You just knead your kava in cool/ lukewarm water like you usually would. Make sure you get it down to nothing but makas, like a real good knead. Get ALL the fine particles out. Set the first kava batch aside. Then put the makas in a small saucepan, add just enough water to cover them, and bring it to a simmer, then turn it off the heat. Let it sit until it's cool enough to handle, and then strain it out again. Add that liquid to the batch, shake or stir, and enjoy your increased potency. The minimal fine particles mean there's not so much starch getting boiled, which is what makes that thick texture some of us can't stomach.

Saghloqh

Kava Curious
I actually did the a few times back when I used to do the simmer method. Unfortunately, heating seems to extract some kavalactone(s) that are more liable to give me anxiety. Now I just save all the makas over some weeks, then boil them and strain and knead. Then I will set aside the maka juice, and add in about 1 part of it to 3 parts traditional prep, just to make it go further.

It's a great idea though! I spent months on end wringing out this slimy strainer bag without feeling like everything was properly coming out, until one day I just did a traditional prep, found it wasn't very strong (This is back before I was a kava hardhead, or just using inferior product) so I decided to boil the leftovers and found it was less slimy.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I actually did the a few times back when I used to do the simmer method. Unfortunately, heating seems to extract some kavalactone(s) that are more liable to give me anxiety. Now I just save all the makas over some weeks, then boil them and strain and knead. Then I will set aside the maka juice, and add in about 1 part of it to 3 parts traditional prep, just to make it go further.

It's a great idea though! I spent months on end wringing out this slimy strainer bag without feeling like everything was properly coming out, until one day I just did a traditional prep, found it wasn't very strong (This is back before I was a kava hardhead, or just using inferior product) so I decided to boil the leftovers and found it was less slimy.
Yep, when you cook Kava it does seem to activate some kavalactones that are more anxiety-producing. The few times I have engaged in this unfortunate practice I have regretted it.

KavaCat

Meow.
Yep, when you cook Kava it does seem to activate some kavalactones that are more anxiety-producing. The few times I have engaged in this unfortunate practice I have regretted it.
I don't necessarily think it's an unfortunate practice unless it does that for you. I've never had anxiety from kava. I have had it give me a few down moods, but these are always linked to "heavy" kava strains for me, and has nothing to do with cooked vs not. Though there's certainly some trends in effects that don't effect all people, but do effect some, I'm pretty sure kava is anti-anxiety nearly for everyone, regardless of preparation method.

Aside from not consuming tudei, not combining with other substances, everyone should do what's right for them, hey? As long as it's safe, there are no unfortunate practices.

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
I’m always surprised by how careless I am when I have lots of kava and how frugal I am when I’m running out. So now that I’m looking at my last batch before the (incredibly slow) kava mailman comes I’ll try this.