What's new

Anyone else check out "New Posts" while doing a traditional prep?

Saghloqh

Kava Curious
There's something so soothing about making up a traditional kneaded batch of kava. At first I was annoyed that with all three washes I generally do it can take nearly half an hour. But now I love it. It's incredibly ritualistic. And now, when I'm back home after a long day of building houses I sit down with my root, strainer, and bowl, and pull up Kavaforums on my tablet, checking out the new posts since my last visit.

It's come to the point where I almost like making the kava more than its effects.

....emphasis on the almost.

Only tricky part is not getting my tablet screen wet. Do you guys make a big mess like I do? Also, do you use both hands or one hand to knead? I knead for a bit, then bunch the wet kava into one spot in the cloth, twist it around and WRING it out really well so that the stuff is being pushed out of the root. I can see the oily sheen of the kavalactones floating on top of the water after they've been forced out.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
There's something so soothing about making up a traditional kneaded batch of kava. At first I was annoyed that with all three washes I generally do it can take nearly half an hour. But now I love it. It's incredibly ritualistic. And now, when I'm back home after a long day of building houses I sit down with my root, strainer, and bowl, and pull up Kavaforums on my tablet, checking out the new posts since my last visit.

It's come to the point where I almost like making the kava more than its effects.

Only tricky part is not getting my tablet screen wet. Do you guys make a big mess like I do? Also, do you use both hands or one hand to knead? I knead for a bit, then bunch the wet kava into one spot in the cloth, twist it around and WRING it out really well so that the stuff is being pushed out of the root. I can see the oily sheen of the kavalactones floating on top of the water after they've been forced out.
Absolutely. Traditional prep always makes a mess...and I tend to get kava spray, drops, and drips all over the counter. Almost always the ipad is open on the counter while I knead...but I usually stick to watching youtube or some other silliness. Sometimes music as well. As soon as I open kavaforums I want to start typing, and as you pointed out keeping the screen from getting wet with kava is bit tough. My solution is to have a small "kava only" hand towel nearby that I use for keeping the mess under control and for drying hands for whatever comes up. My kneading process is almost always interrupted by the constant flow of kids with "urgent" problems.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur

Yes to all the above.

KavaCat

Meow.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. Sometimes I do need kava fast, and reach for micro, concentrate, candy... whatever I have on hand. But when I do get to make kava, I find it meditative. I don't browse while I knead, but when I'm done, and having my first round, I usually end up on here. I made a thread similar to this shortly after I first joined, and nobody else seemed to agree. So it's nice to see someone else with the sentiment. :)

I don't make a mess. I use a high-sided bowl to prevent that. Sometimes a little water will squirt from between my fingers, but that's about it.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Half hour!? Maybe I'm cutting myself short. Although I usually blend and then knead.
I don't look up stuff usually but sometimes I'll scroll as I blend