What's new

Help with KAVA & GABA/NMDA Imbalance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinJoe93

Kava Curious
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum. I haven’t taken Kava before, as I’ve been scared about the ‘liver problems’ that’s been circulating about for a few years.

I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/M.E. and I suffer BADLY with an imbalance of GABA/NMDA, so I have major headaches almost instantly when hearing any constant noise, light and motion. This is common symptom in patients with this condition, and I’ve done my best to try and help or reverse it, but failed terribly.

I have used multiple supplements such as valerian, passionflower, taurine, thianine, NAC, magnolia root bark, and NONE of these worked even in the slightest. The only thing that slightly works is using cannabis, but I know it’s not helping as I don’t believe cannabis works as a GABA agonist, but rather works on glutamatergic receptors, so long term it wouldn’t help.

I refuse even to ask my doctor for any sort of Valium or klonopin. So my only choice is to try Kava. Has anyone had these symptoms that has been cleared up with Kava?

Cheers.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum. I haven’t taken Kava before, as I’ve been scared about the ‘liver problems’ that’s been circulating about for a few years.

I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/M.E. and I suffer BADLY with an imbalance of GABA/NMDA, so I have major headaches almost instantly when hearing any constant noise, light and motion. This is common symptom in patients with this condition, and I’ve done my best to try and help or reverse it, but failed terribly.

I have used multiple supplements such as valerian, passionflower, taurine, thianine, NAC, magnolia root bark, and NONE of these worked even in the slightest. The only thing that slightly works is using cannabis, but I know it’s not helping as I don’t believe cannabis works as a GABA agonist, but rather works on glutamatergic receptors, so long term it wouldn’t help.

I refuse even to ask my doctor for any sort of Valium or klonopin. So my only choice is to try Kava. Has anyone had these symptoms that has been cleared up with Kava?

Cheers.
I can't say if kava will help with your particular symptoms but it would seem to fit the bill and is definitely worth trying before valium, klonopin, or other medications. Hopefully, you have done enough reading on this site to see that the "liver scare" was unwarranted and many of us who are daily drinkers have posted our liver screens as anecdotal proof that kava, as a traditional prepared beverage, is not harmful to your liver. Many more studies have been done since then that also demonstrate that kava is not harmful to your liver. I see no reason you should not give it a try for a few weeks and see if it helps your symptoms. Good luck.

SmokinJoe93

Kava Curious
I can't say if kava will help with your particular symptoms but it would seem to fit the bill and is definitely worth trying before valium, klonopin, or other medications. Hopefully, you have done enough reading on this site to see that the "liver scare" was unwarranted and many of us who are daily drinkers have posted our liver screens as anecdotal proof that kava, as a traditional prepared beverage, is not harmful to your liver. Many more studies have been done since then that also demonstrate that kava is not harmful to your liver. I see no reason you should not give it a try for a few weeks and see if it helps your symptoms. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I keep away from pharmaceutical drugs, and try to stay as natural as possible. I know drugs that work on GABA receptors actually end up downregilating the receptors, whereas I’ve heard that Kava does the opposite?

The only thing that holds me back is the fact I have raised liver enzymes which is probably cursed by my illness. My neurologist said it’s nothing to worry about.

I want to use Kava daily, but only at a dose that would help these symptoms, and not for anything anxiety related. I’ve been told that 500mg of micronised kava twice daily would be more than enough, although the instructions for the drink is a tablespoon or more. Would you say that such a small dose (500mg twice daily) is enough to have an effect?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I keep away from pharmaceutical drugs, and try to stay as natural as possible. I know drugs that work on GABA receptors actually end up downregilating the receptors, whereas I’ve heard that Kava does the opposite?

The only thing that holds me back is the fact I have raised liver enzymes which is probably cursed by my illness. My neurologist said it’s nothing to worry about.

I want to use Kava daily, but only at a dose that would help these symptoms, and not for anything anxiety related. I’ve been told that 500mg of micronised kava twice daily would be more than enough, although the instructions for the drink is a tablespoon or more. Would you say that such a small dose (500mg twice daily) is enough to have an effect?
Hard to say. A dose that small may have the effect you are looking for but it would be very, very subtle. Micronised kava is great for regulating the dosage so in your case I think it makes sense to start small and slowly work your way up to see where you get an effect that suits your needs. In larger doses kava tends to hang around for 12-24 hrs in some ways. For example I am a nighttime drinker of 8-12TBS of medium grind. While this gets me just below a full krunk in the evening, I can feel the anti-anxiety effects last through the next day until the evening again. You also might find a better effect from having a larger dose once per day, or you may find small doses throughout the whole day to be more advantageous. Everyone reacts a bit differently, and different kavas have different effects - the only way to know is to jump in and start experimenting.

SmokinJoe93

Kava Curious
I find it helps with minor aches and pains. Works well on sore muscles. I would say on the same level as normal doses of ibuprofen or naproxen.
Ah I see. Well I am goi g to go to my doctor to request a liver test, only because my neurologist said I had raised liver enzymes.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.

Cheers.
I'm your person. I have CFS/ME and have gotten well partly due to kava. I had to do a bunch of other things too, but kava is a great aide. I'm now working in an extremely physically demanding job (apprentice electrician) after not working for the past 11 years and being on disability.

SmokinJoe93

Kava Curious
I'm your person. I have CFS/ME and have gotten well partly due to kava. I had to do a bunch of other things too, but kava is a great aide. I'm now working in an extremely physically demanding job (apprentice electrician) after not working for the past 11 years and being on disability.
Congratulations and well done! I am incredibly happy for you as I know how mich this illness affects myself and others. May I message you privately please?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.