What's new

Powdered Kava Review The Kava Society - Palarsul

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I recently got to try some special single cultivar batches of kava from the island of Santo. Santo's most popular daily kava is Palarasul and we don't see it very often on the international market. In addition to the rareness of the kava, it is also being produced in small batches, with a quick turn around from being in ground to in mouth. On top of that, it has been properly peeled, like other premium kavas such as 5-Star & Nambawan...a practice that is much more common to native Ni-Van drinkers than it is for the kava sold internationally.

The first standout feature of this root was the deceptively mild scent. There was none of the familiar pungent and piney Vanuatu scent in there. It was a very mild scent, slightly bready, slightly creamy with a little hint of earthy kava to it. The flavor is quite similar, but with a slightly more noticeable earth and pepper kick, very easy to drink. I didn't need to hack and spit at all, to try to get the taste off my tongue. These peeled kavas make for a delightfully light coloured powder and beverage, with a light scent.

I was expecting it to be a mild, one-sided 'heady' experience judging by it's appearance, scent and taste. However, the remarkably pleasant effects I achieved even off just the first shell, let me know there was more going on with this kava than I expected. It was definitely the lighter/headier cultivar of the Santo grown roots I sampled, but it was significantly effective and still somewhat balanced enough for me completely enjoy it. It isn't a physically heavy experience, but it offers a nice warm, dreamy mental sedation effect combined with a contented headiness and bit of that loose swirly feeling behind your eyes. It was very reminiscent of some of the good nakamal kava I got in Vanuatu...and similar to some of the stand-out effective balanced-leaning-heady kavas that were around 4 or 5 years ago.

Surprisingly, the chemotype and KL% were pretty average, but the effectiveness was significant compared to the majority of kavas I've been drinking over the last couple years. So between the roots being well peeled, the quick turn around from harvest to consumption, my general receptiveness for Vanuatu kavas and the mysterious unknowns of kava...something made it more effective and enjoyable than it might look on paper.

If you get the chance to try some of this and you're willing to pay the premium price to do so, you won't be disappointed. Also, the peeled production of the roots seems to diminish some of kavas negative side-effects quite a bit, which leads to an overall more enjoyable experience.
-----------
::happyshell::

Dosage: 8 Tbsp Kava : 3 Cups Water
Preparation: Traditional
Effects: Balanced leaning strongly toward heady.
palarasul.jpg

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I recently got to try some special single cultivar batches of kava from the island of Santo. Santo's most popular daily kava is Palarsul and we don't see it very often on the international market. In addition to the rareness of the kava, it is also being produced in small batches, with a quick turn around from being in ground to in mouth. On top of that, it has been properly peeled, like other premium kavas such as 5-Star & Nambawan...a practice that is much more common to native Ni-Van drinkers than it is for the kava sold internationally.

The first standout feature of this root was the deceptively mild scent. There was none of the familiar pungent and piney Vanuatu scent in there. It was a very mild scent, slightly bready, slightly creamy with a little hint of earthy kava to it. The flavor is quite similar, but with a slightly more noticeable earth and pepper kick, very easy to drink. I didn't need to hack and spit at all, to try to get the taste off my tongue. These peeled kavas make for a delightfully light coloured powder and beverage, with a light scent.

I was expecting it to be a mild, one-sided 'heady' experience judging by it's appearance, scent and taste. However, the remarkably pleasant effects I achieved even off just the first shell, let me know there was more going on with this kava than I expected. It was definitely the lighter/headier cultivar of the Santo grown roots I sampled, but it was significantly effective and still somewhat balanced enough for me completely enjoy it. It isn't a physically heavy experience, but it offers a nice warm, dreamy mental sedation feeling combined with a contented headiness and bit of that loose swirly feeling behind your eyes. It was very reminiscent of some of the good nakamal kava I got in Vanuatu...and similar to some of the notably effective balanced-leaning-heady kavas that were around 4 or 5 years ago.

Surprisingly, the chemotype and KL% were pretty average, but the effectiveness was significant compared to the majority of kavas I've been drinking over the last couple years. So between the roots being well peeled, the quick turn around from harvest to consumption, my general receptiveness for Vanuatu kavas and the mysterious unknowns of kava...something made it more effective and enjoyable than it might look on paper.

If you get the chance to try some of this and you're willing to pay the premium price to do so, you won't be disappointed. Also, the peeled production of the roots seems to diminish some of kavas negative side-effects quite a bit, which leads to an overall more enjoyable experience.
-----------
::happyshell::

Dosage: 8 Tbsp Kava : 3 Cups Water
Preparation: Traditional
Effects: Balanced leaning strongly toward heady.
Blonde on blonde, a classic.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Thanks @sɥɐʞɐs
The reason why I wanted to source this specific kava was that it generally enjoys a very good reputation on the island and it was implicitly listed by Dr Schmidt as one of the top three cultivars of Vanuatu in terms of pleasurable effects and low potential for any undesirable effects. It is a popular kava on Santo, but it is rather unknown outside of Vanuatu and hence few people grow it for the export market. Hopefully it will change in the future, as it really is one of the best cultivars I've had.

And this is the actual plant you tried:

kavaharvestiedandcleaned.jpeg

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Thanks @sɥɐʞɐs
The reason why I wanted to source this specific kava was that it generally enjoys a very good reputation on the island and it was implicitly listed by Dr Schmidt as one of the top three cultivars of Vanuatu in terms of pleasurable effects and low potential for any undesirable effects. It is a popular kava on Santo, but it is rather unknown outside of Vanuatu and hence few people grow it for the export market. Hopefully it will change in the future, as it really is one of the best cultivars I've had.

And this is the actual plant you tried:

View attachment 9863
It looks like no nematode on these roots at all! Maybe 1 spot. Incredible.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava you peel all of yours am I correct?
Yes I peel my kava. It ensures quality and it also gives the kava a milder taste. Processing the kava can affect the flavor and even the potency. If I did not peel the kava you would taste the difference. Even the way you dry the kava will affect the flavor and over all quality.
Aloha.

Chris

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Well, I got me 250g of Palarusul and here is my impression:

bloody fantastic.

This fine, silky soft white grind smells fantastic in the bag, very fresh smell, reminiscent of Forney Ent. kavas but not like any of theirs I know, and preps up to the whitest grog I think I ever had, like some sort of silky nut milk. It looks different and special. And that's what the first shell impression is, too: different and special. This is definitely top shelf, almost too good for daily drinking. This is what you save for holidays and visitors and bring it out when you want to impress people and ensure a good time for all. Served cold, that fresh taste is extremely refreshing, making this one of those kavas you'd drink even if it had no effects.

But the effect profile is exquisite, bang on balanced in every way, with a very solid bottom end that doesn't really creep up until 20 minutes in, leaving plenty of time to enjoy the very pleasant initial headiness. Closest comparison I could think of would be Nangol Noble from BKH, balanced with solid bottom.

I still have trouble forcing myself to drink it on anything other than a special occasion. When I do force myself, I really enjoy it, of course. But it's almost too classy for the likes of me.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Well, I got me 250g of Palarusul and here is my impression:

bloody fantastic.

This fine, silky soft white grind smells fantastic in the bag, very fresh smell, reminiscent of Forney Ent. kavas but not like any of theirs I know, and preps up to the whitest grog I think I ever had, like some sort of silky nut milk. It looks different and special. And that's what the first shell impression is, too: different and special. This is definitely top shelf, almost too good for daily drinking. This is what you save for holidays and visitors and bring it out when you want to impress people and ensure a good time for all. Served cold, that fresh taste is extremely refreshing, making this one of those kavas you'd drink even if it had no effects.

But the effect profile is exquisite, bang on balanced in every way, with a very solid bottom end that doesn't really creep up until 20 minutes in, leaving plenty of time to enjoy the very pleasant initial headiness. Closest comparison I could think of would be Nangol Noble from BKH, balanced with solid bottom.

I still have trouble forcing myself to drink it on anything other than a special occasion. When I do force myself, I really enjoy it, of course. But it's almost too classy for the likes of me.
It drinks like a bold Hawaiian kava. It has a very savory flavor that I haven't tasted in other kavas so far but it's not so sedative like other ni-Van kavas. Definitely special occasion kava since it's hard to come by. I save these makas in the freezer after I use them, of course. I'm glad a far-flung ni-Van farmer was willing to share this with us!

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Hello everybody. My name is Alexis and this is my first ever post on this forum and it is a pleasure to be a man you all having read many of your contributions all ready for which I thank you all greatly individually.

I just placed a new order for some of this Palarusul from NZ today. I tried it before, and found it especially enjoyable incredibly smooth very pleasant tasting and certainly very heady and light and non sedating in its effects.

I have tried most all of Kavasocietynz's strains now, except the Boroguru.

I have severe chronic fatigue syndrome from long-term Lyme disease and long-term sleep deprivation and I do not favour the heavier or more sedating varieties.

I'm very much enjoyed this particular Palarusul from these guys.

I also would like to say that the kavaSocietynz have served me absolutely fantastically so far since I only began drinking kava in November their service has been absolutely outstanding and they have been such lovely people to communicate and deal with.

@Henry has been especially helpful answering any queries in the most friendly and obliging manner I honestly couldn't speak higher for these people as a business offering great service and so far excellent product quality although I am still very new to this field of course.

I currently have the Kelai, Melo Melo, and Pacific Elixir. The Pacific is my least favourite of the three not to say anything negative about it but the other two I particularly enjoy.

The Kelai is very fast acting. Such an instant mental shift and boost. An excellent cultivar for depression I find and the Melo melo I find to be very helpful for anxiety without being too sensitive or physically lethargic.

I also have had the pleasure to have been engaging and dealing with @Edward over recent months, another truly lovely, friendly, helpful, knowledgable and open minded guy who I feel honored and incredibly glad to have acquainted and to know.

Thank God for so many really genuine great people in the world who care about others and make a huge difference and impact in our lives.

I'm not high on Kava right now guys, just to be clear- No kava yet today just speaking purely from the heart although I have to confess that kava does tend to really pull my heart out onto my sleeve when I am significantly "affected" haha. ☺