Vanuatu news of a new report on kava safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

Zaphod

Kava Lover
It is referring to a recent literature review. I've read several versions of the review and discussed it with someone close to the process. It's a review, so not any new study. It just looks (and does so rather imperfectly) at the available literature and existing studies.
In a nutshell, the review observes that there is little evidence to suggest that any kind of kava can in itself be seen as clearly toxic to the liver and that there are some questions regarding the quantitative thresholds used for differentiating between cultivar groups. However, the report does not claim there are no differences between cultivar groups and it does not suggest that all forms of kava (extracts, beverage, raw powder, fresh etc) are the same and have the same safety profile.

Overall, no new findings, but just an attempt at summing up the existing scholarship. In some aspects it's an OK review, in others it fails to engage important literature and/or overlooks more nuanced, albeit quite important, arguments.
Is there a copy of the actual study somewhere so we can read it? I am not a big fan of these large studies of studies, but sometimes the can pick out trends that that smaller studies don't see. On the other hand they usually don't include a lot of studies for various reasons that can skew the conclusions.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
In any case, let's not forget that the real question (ignored by the reviewers) is: what is the benefit to the consumer of erasing the distinction between noble and tudei when it comes to recognising kava as food? Even if the evidence that tudei in a traditional form might be less "safe" (albeit still clearly less pleasant) is yet to emerge, there is clearly a shorter history of use, lack of traditional use outside of Vanuatu and clear evidence of higher likelihood of short-term adverse reactions. at the same time, there is no reasoned arguments why including tudei in kava exports (as food) could in some way be good for the consumer, or even as good as allowing for noble exports.
Thanks for your summary. Link?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
In any case, let's not forget that the real question (ignored by the reviewers) is: what is the benefit to the consumer of erasing the distinction between noble and tudei when it comes to recognising kava as food? Even if the evidence that tudei in a traditional form might be less "safe" (albeit still clearly less pleasant) is yet to emerge, there is clearly a shorter history of use, lack of traditional use outside of Vanuatu and clear evidence of higher likelihood of short-term adverse reactions. at the same time, there is no reasoned arguments why including tudei in kava exports (as food) could in some way be good for the consumer, or even as good as allowing for noble exports.
That is right on the mark . Key is history of regular, even daily, use.
Zaphod -- my understanding is that a draft of this Review got to the local paper before it was officially published.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
That is right on the mark . Key is history of regular, even daily, use.
Zaphod -- my understanding is that a draft of this Review got to the local paper before it was officially published.
Gotcha. That must be why my google-fu can't seem to find a copy. That said, it is kind of tough to have a conversation about an article only one person can read....kind of like another report out there that no one can read and we have to rely on another person's analysis and interpretation :facepalm:. Seems like the original article, and this thread is near useless until someone is willing to publish it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Keeping things in perspective, this article seems to make a number of open ended statements regarding testing such as "Recommending chemical testing and setting limits on allowable content of specific -3- kava chemicals may be practical as a quality determinant and even as a precautionary measure for safety, but at this time cannot always be used to differentiate the current traditional designations of noble and non-noble." That tells me that they are aware of the issues at least at a cursory level and are looking at digging deeper.

To sum it up, it seems as if they're just re-hashing old information. Basically refreshing the idea that "we need more studies". The difference this time being that the noble/non-noble issue is at the forefront. They are right. We need more studies about tudei and what it does to our system. I'd love to know what caused my skin to crack and bleed, and maybe if we're lucky enough we could create a way of extracting that and leaving the rest of the kavalactones.

It really seems like the Vanuatu daily article either went a little too far, or the executive summary posted here doesn't go far enough. There is a rift between the two.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
It seems that

a. there is no new information

b. they are arguing to allow tudei exports based on...... no new information

If they do allow tudei exports, consumer confidence in Vanuatu kava will go down, either that or there will be a rise in large enough facilities, like Forney, maybe, if they could be trusted to guarantee noble. And then people would only buy branded and certified Vanuatu kava. At the moment, just coming from Vanuatu is a kind of certification.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
See one of the draft versions of the executive summary of the report attached (I believe this might be the final draft, actually)
Yes that is what I saw also but then heard that it may, yet, get edited then published.
If you have heard that this is the final then that is different information.

Status
Not open for further replies.