What's new

CBD and Kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
I'm certain I'm placing this topic in the wrong place, but I can't determine where I should be posting it. Moderators, feel free to redirect my question.

I've been a kava drinker for a good long while, but over the last couple years I: 1.) had a kid, and 2.) started my own company. In short, I have stress, and no time. I need a quick way to unwind, and CBD sounds like a viable alternative. I know a variety of folks on the forum have tried both, so I'm curious to hear experiences. I did try CBD and found it almost unnoticeable compared to kava, but I may be looking at the wrong intensity.

Anyone who has tried both, I'd love to hear your comparison of the experience. I have learned that I am not the normal consumer of either, so any experience will help me triangulate what I should be trying.

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
The few times I've tried isolated CBD I've felt nothing stronger than what could be chalked up to placebo. Kava is definitely much stronger. I don't think CBD could ever be described as recreational. That said, CBD's half life is much longer than kava. So it could be a better (i.e. more convenient) option for managing general stress and anxiety if it works at all for you. It might even combine well with kava.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I need a quick way to unwind, and CBD sounds like a viable alternative.
CBD by itself isn't really something you unwind to. Results are usually noticed by lack of symptoms you are treating it for (when it works). The problem with CBD now is that the market has been flooded with a lot of junk and there is no regulation unless you buy from a state regulated dispensary in medical/recreational states. If you do live in a legal state then you'd be best off buying a high CBD marijuana strain. If not then you can buy from the various hemp growers but those plants aren't at the same level as high resin marijuana cultivars. I would also be cautious with consuming hemp based "CBD" products, especially if it's something you can really feel, if you are going to be drug tested since 3rd party tests have shown a lot of it to have more than the advertised amount of THC (but that does make it more effective medicinally and recreationally).

Reactions: Ed!

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
CBD by itself isn't really something you unwind to. Results are usually noticed by lack of symptoms you are treating it for (when it works). The problem with CBD now is that the market has been flooded with a lot of junk and there is no regulation unless you buy from a state regulated dispensary in medical/recreational states. If you do live in a legal state then you'd be best off buying a high CBD marijuana strain. If not then you can buy from the various hemp growers but those plants aren't at the same level as high resin marijuana cultivars. I would also be cautious with consuming hemp based "CBD" products, especially if it's something you can really feel, if you are going to be drug tested since 3rd party tests have shown a lot of it to have more than the advertised amount of THC (but that does make it more effective medicinally and recreationally).
Thank you for this, and the previous commentor. I did search around a bit before buying anything CBD, and boy is it daunting. I chose cbdistillery because they seemed to be one of the more established distributors. Obviously this is not an endorsement because I can't recognize any effects. Like you suggested, it doesn't seem to be an "unwind" type of supplement. I can see taking a dropper of CBD during the work day, or before heading to the airport, but I'm not entirely sure if that's just an expensive placebo or it's actually doing anything. Kava to me has had a much more obvious impact, which makes me wonder why CBD has gone off like fireworks and Kava has been relatively uncovered.

Unfortunately I don't live in a legal state or I'd test some options out. I've almost exhausted my kava supply so I'll likely be reloading soon. "Unwind" recommendations are very welcome.

Transcent

Kava saved my life
Thank you for this, and the previous commentor. I did search around a bit before buying anything CBD, and boy is it
daunting. I chose cbdistillery because they seemed to be one of the more established distributors. Obviously this is not an endorsement because I can't recognize any effects. Like you suggested, it doesn't seem to be an "unwind" type of supplement. I can see taking a dropper of CBD during the work day, or before heading to the airport, but I'm not entirely sure if that's just an expensive placebo or it's actually doing anything. Kava to me has had a much more obvious impact, which makes me wonder why CBD has gone off like fireworks and Kava has been relatively uncovered.

Unfortunately I don't live in a legal state or I'd test some options out. I've almost exhausted my kava supply so I'll likely be reloading soon. "Unwind" recommendations are very welcome.
My experience. After taking cbd id go through something stressful and an hour later id be like "huh, normally that would have set me off" the effects arent very noticable but there IS an effect. Good for panic attacks too. Some kava bars are infusing cbd in ther kava drinks now though one won't potentiate the other

El Guapo510

Kava Curious
CBD is not as noticeable like Kava. Kava kind of taps you on the shoulder and tells you to chill and tends to make you feel gitty and happy. CBD has a calming effect but does not, at least in my experience, produce any sort of mood altering effect, at least at smaller doses. It more or less sort of just removes your negative association with things temporarily. Now, I have taken upwards of 40-50mg in one setting during a panic attack and was struck by an almost benzo like feeling of relief and calmness (without the drunk feeling). I think some of that probably has to do with the "relief factor". When you are in the throws of a panic, any relief feels like a high because its so much better than how you were feeling.

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
CBD is not as noticeable like Kava. Kava kind of taps you on the shoulder and tells you to chill and tends to make you feel gitty and happy. CBD has a calming effect but does not, at least in my experience, produce any sort of mood altering effect, at least at smaller doses. It more or less sort of just removes your negative association with things temporarily. Now, I have taken upwards of 40-50mg in one setting during a panic attack and was struck by an almost benzo like feeling of relief and calmness (without the drunk feeling). I think some of that probably has to do with the "relief factor". When you are in the throws of a panic, any relief feels like a high because its so much better than how you were feeling.
I think that's a good way to view it. I did have one high stress moment after my initial post where I was able to notice myself calm down after taking the CBD. I think I'll hang onto what I have left for those moments of anxiety, rather than for regular use.

Status
Not open for further replies.