What's new

Vanuatu Instant Kavas?

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Anybody know of any good instant kavas made from ni-Van varieties? Bula Kava House's Instant Green is great but it'd be nice to have other options if/when Instant Green is sold out.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
The Root of Happiness Premium Vanuatu is excellent, I find it very sedative. I've just bought the Vanuatu ceremonial instant from Kava Depot but I'm yet to try it. I think the instant from realkava.com is different from the klin kava instant and I've tried both. I didn't like either.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
The Root of Happiness Premium Vanuatu is excellent, I find it very sedative.
I forgot Root of Happiness has instant powders! They even have their Hawaiian back in stock. Now, when you mean "Premium Hawaiian," you mean their "Instant Kava," unmodified?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I forgot Root of Happiness has instant powders! They even have their Hawaiian back in stock. Now, when you mean "Premium Hawaiian," you mean their "Instant Kava," unmodified?
Premium Vanuatu. Yes, it's made with the same root as the medium grind version.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I bought a bunch of that over the winter and it was quite good. Maybe something to go easy on if you're going to drink it during the day and at work. Mixing that with the winter batch of 5 Star medium grind was the strongest kava experience I've had in years. We all know how things can change from batch to batch though.
It's good to hear that RealKava's instant is a gem. It has a nice price tag!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
It's good to hear that RealKava's instant is a gem. It has a nice price tag!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
Real kava instant is pretty good, but has some grittiness to it, still less then micronized but for comparison GHK instant was super smooth with no grit. I might have to look into RoH instant kavas myself.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Real kava instant is pretty good, but has some grittiness to it, still less then micronized but for comparison GHK instant was super smooth with no grit. I might have to look into RoH instant kavas myself.
How is it gritty? Are a lot of instant kavas made in a proprietary fashion despite the same "mix with water, stir, and drink" instructions?

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
My biggest issue with instant Kavas is that they have this acerbic, dehydrating quality to them. I always end up going through them way too fast as well.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Not 100% sure but I think it must be, as Klin kava is the only instant processed in Vanuatu at the moment and they do say it is processed there on their site.
I bought a kilo and found it strong, but not as balanced as the 5 star regular grind, and not as pleasant tasting. I only use it if in a hurry, which isn't that often.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
The only instant I ever tried GHK Moi, it was a very long time ago and at the time it was God sent because it was what helped me breakthrough RT. I can see they being really useful on vacations or in situations where prepping is a nuisance. The problem are the prices and they leave a lot to be desired for considering the volume to price ratio.

From you guys's experience that buy it regularly, what's the best bang for the buck out there?

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Gourmet Hawaiian Kava instants are just as good as the medium grind stuff. Bula Kava House's Instant Green is probably the strongest one I've had given it uses ni-Van roots, and it's similarly priced to GHK. A lot off the suggestions here are a couple bucks cheaper at most than the ones I've had, so I'm curious about their quality.

My instants have mostly been used for day-time kava drinking at work and when I'm at home and I'm not in the mood to shake up some medium grind. Sometimes when I do shake up some grog, I augment its strength with a level-ish dinner spoonful of instant and shake it up. I don't run out of instant that quickly thankfully, but I understand the concerns with cost efficiency.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
How is it gritty? Are a lot of instant kavas made in a proprietary fashion despite the same "mix with water, stir, and drink" instructions?
It has what appear to be trace amounts of makas in it. There are some blackish speckles when you prepared it and it has the consistency of traditional medium grind with a small amount of micronized. The stuff is still good though I killed the 250g pack in two weeks.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
It has what appear to be trace amounts of makas in it. There are some blackish speckles when you prepared it and it has the consistency of traditional medium grind with a small amount of micronized. The stuff is still good though I killed the 250g pack in two weeks.
Maybe you got a bag that was accidentally mislabeled? I've gone through quite a bit of their instant and never had anything like medium grind or micro. Looking at it, it has the same texture as my BKH instant and Fire Island. I usually put a tablespoon into about 1/4 cup of water to get it down fast and it's nothing like drinking micronized.

All of the Vanuatu instants have a very similar scent and distinct flavor except the ROH. I haven't tried the ROH this year but the others have all gotten noticeably heavier to where they are balanced enough that I can enjoy them. If it weren't for price I'd probably go back to instant again because their consistently strong effects.

Kavacoordinate

Kava Enthusiast
I'm really glad this discussion is taking place. I have to admit. I've been pretty lazy recently and Instant is becoming more appealing. I've only ever used Judd's instant and I loved it. Anyone had the drink root stuff? Great marketing but wow is that stuff spendy.