What's new

Kava Culture The Ethics of Krunk

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Well, I made some kava prep videos for people here but I used YouTube as the host for obvious reasons. Reaction is pretty good, about 150 views for each. Except one: blender prep for getting krunk off your face. 1,500+ and rising.

It seems there is little demand outside of small circles for practical prep tips but a largish demand from people wanting to know hot to get fucked up on kava.

Obviously, I'm in two or three minds about this. Krunk is good, healthy, beautiful even, and I will not stand to see it sullied. OTOH, kava is NOT a "legal high" thang, or if it is, it makes a lousy "legal high" for casual stoners for a number of reasons. It's not bad as a legal high for regular kava drinkers, though. In fact, it makes a completely satisfying alternative for getting drunk, high, plastered, whatever, and the best part is waking up the next morning. I think every kava drinker should feel comfortable enough that if they think they need to get krunk, the krunk is there for them. OTOH, the more you drink kava, IME, the less one feels the need to krunk as escape. But it's always there, if you want it or need it.

So, I don't think I have the right to tell anyone not to get krunk. OTOH, I don't really think it's a great idea for casual stoners to be trying to get high on kava, if for no other reason than they probably won't enjoy it, the taste especially, and it interacts badly with other things, chiefly alcohol.

Krunk is good, but if you focus on that, you'll miss a lot of really great stuff kava can be. Yeah, shredding a guitar is fun but it's more for a cathartic climax.

But I guess it's really up to everyone to make that choice on their own.

PapaMoi

Kava Enthusiast
Well, I made some kava prep videos for people here but I used YouTube as the host for obvious reasons. Reaction is pretty good, about 150 views for each. Except one: blender prep for getting krunk off your face. 1,500+ and rising.

It seems there is little demand outside of small circles for practical prep tips but a largish demand from people wanting to know hot to get fucked up on kava.

Obviously, I'm in two or three minds about this. Krunk is good, healthy, beautiful even, and I will not stand to see it sullied. OTOH, kava is NOT a "legal high" thang, or if it is, it makes a lousy "legal high" for casual stoners for a number of reasons. It's not bad as a legal high for regular kava drinkers, though. In fact, it makes a completely satisfying alternative for getting drunk, high, plastered, whatever, and the best part is waking up the next morning. I think every kava drinker should feel comfortable enough that if they think they need to get krunk, the krunk is there for them. OTOH, the more you drink kava, IME, the less one feels the need to krunk as escape. But it's always there, if you want it or need it.

So, I don't think I have the right to tell anyone not to get krunk. OTOH, I don't really think it's a great idea for casual stoners to be trying to get high on kava, if for no other reason than they probably won't enjoy it, the taste especially, and it interacts badly with other things, chiefly alcohol.

Krunk is good, but if you focus on that, you'll miss a lot of really great stuff kava can be. Yeah, shredding a guitar is fun but it's more for a cathartic climax.

But I guess it's really up to everyone to make that choice on their own.
Agreed. It's (to me) like whitewater rafting vs calmly kayaking down (row, row, row your boat) the proverbial stream....of consciousness. Life is but a Fruedian slip into something more convertable, I mean comfortable. See what I did there?

Joking aside, kava is like earth medicine and the "legal high" notions of many people are misguided and carry a compulsive "abuse it" mentality I know all too well. I much prefer the clarity of kava mud than the muddy cloudedness of other things. Imho.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Ahh, you've found the secret youtube formula. Be sure you say "SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON! and subsrcibe" at least 4 times during the video :)

On a more serious note, we'll never be able to police the usage of kava. The silver lining of this is that kava tends to police it's own usage. When I did my best to abuse kava back in the micronized tudei days it turned an about-face and abused me instead. I'd rather keep newbies away from the negative effects, but I believe they're present for a good reason. Kava will let you know what's acceptable, and will definitely let you know when you've crossed that line.

Also, I think as kava drinkers we are more inclined to kinda go a little crazy at first when we discover something that is as powerful and helpful as kava. When we get into the grove we settle back down into a more normal routine. I started at 60-70 grams of kava only to back down to 40 as time progressed. The 60-70 grams would absolutely cause me to walk sideways and use one eye every time. 40 grams is enough to get the full flavor, but light enough where I don't lose control of my arms and legs.

To me personally, the "legal high" issue isn't nearly as much an issue as it was in the past. Kava is finally settling in as a legitimate recreational/medicinal drink. Sure it's legal and will get you loopy, but the whole "legal high" fetish seems to be fading as the fringe herbs become more mainstream.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Ahh, you've found the secret youtube formula. Be sure you say "SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON! and subsrcibe" at least 4 times during the video :)

On a more serious note, we'll never be able to police the usage of kava. The silver lining of this is that kava tends to police it's own usage. When I did my best to abuse kava back in the micronized tudei days it turned an about-face and abused me instead. I'd rather keep newbies away from the negative effects, but I believe they're present for a good reason. Kava will let you know what's acceptable, and will definitely let you know when you've crossed that line.

Also, I think as kava drinkers we are more inclined to kinda go a little crazy at first when we discover something that is as powerful and helpful as kava. When we get into the grove we settle back down into a more normal routine. I started at 60-70 grams of kava only to back down to 40 as time progressed. The 60-70 grams would absolutely cause me to walk sideways and use one eye every time. 40 grams is enough to get the full flavor, but light enough where I don't lose control of my arms and legs.

To me personally, the "legal high" issue isn't nearly as much an issue as it was in the past. Kava is finally settling in as a legitimate recreational/medicinal drink. Sure it's legal and will get you loopy, but the whole "legal high" fetish seems to be fading as the fringe herbs become more mainstream.
I do get heartfelt private notes from people who had been trying to get krunk, some for ages, and nothing worked and they finally got there and they seem genuinely happy about it. Certainly for me that first krunk really was cathartic, and I did krunks #2 - #37 just to confirm. Yup, it was cathartic, alright.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I do get heartfelt private notes from people who had been trying to get krunk, some for ages, and nothing worked and they finally got there and they seem genuinely happy about it. Certainly for me that first krunk really was cathartic, and I did krunks #2 - #37 just to confirm. Yup, it was cathartic, alright.
Those messages. There are few things in life that make me happier than those messages :)

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Well the interest in "how to get krunk" lately is due to the weak kava on the market. 5+ years ago it was simple... buy kava from any reputable vendor, prep it and drink.

The "legal high" aspect is going to become more prominent as more kava bars open and advertise kava as an alternative to alcohol. The mood lifting and intoxicating properties of kava is what's gotten us to where we are, without that component there wouldn't be much to drive interest. Those potent effects are what makes plants like kava, K@ and cannabis viable alternatives to hard drugs and alcohol.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Guess how many times he said krunking/krunk and '@Kapmcrunk will donate an extract giveaway', giving other's people stuff is fun. ::happyshell::
lol, if I had any extract to give you know I'd do it! My extract garden didn't exactly make it to the new house. I found out all of the jars were empty anyways. My wife killed them all :)

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
lol, if I had any extract to give you know I'd do it! My extract garden didn't exactly make it to the new house. I found out all of the jars were empty anyways. My wife killed them all :)
I meant to the members but I hear you. Mrs. Krunk got stressed and raided your stash :)

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
That was a beautiful video. Perfect setting and very wise observations on krunkness (and yes, Mr. McKrunkface has seen me in pirate mode with a hat pulled down over one eye.)

Plus the grokking of harem is spot on. It can mean to hear, literally, and can also mean other senses, too. I remember an old Pis Kop blog where the volunteer described her village waking up one night to collect spawning balolo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palola_viridis). Somebody excitedly got her out of bed and down to the salt water, and asked "yu save harem smel ia?" (Can you smell that smell?)

Anyway, kava makes me harem naes almost as much as these videos. Thanks again for sharing.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
That was a beautiful video. Perfect setting and very wise observations on krunkness (and yes, Mr. McKrunkface has seen me in pirate mode with a hat pulled down over one eye.)

Plus the grokking of harem is spot on. It can mean to hear, literally, and can also mean other senses, too. I remember an old Pis Kop blog where the volunteer described her village waking up one night to collect spawning balolo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palola_viridis). Somebody excitedly got her out of bed and down to the salt water, and asked "yu save harem smel ia?" (Can you smell that smell?)

Anyway, kava makes me harem naes almost as much as these videos. Thanks again for sharing.
I like that everyone who has watched it so far was krunk when they watched it so the slight visual slip sliding feels comfortable. That is the color palette I see with kava, and the motion blur is kind of like strong kava, as is the boring cosmic chit chat gibberish. This is as anti-krunk as I can manage.