What's new

After 2 weeks of using kava...

Thomas2060

Kava Curious
I'm not quite seeing what the fuss is about, but I also question if I'm having the fullest kava experience I can. I've been using the Kalm with Kava micronized Fiji Loa Waka. I drink it with pineapple mango juice, mixed well with a whisk.

Every time I've tried it has been on an empty stomach (at least 5-6 hours since the last meal). The first night I tried it, I mixed in 1 tablespoon, and repeated this again 60 minutes later, and 60 minutes after that. I felt absolutely nothing.

I know it's an adaptogen and it can take time for the body to respond. So I tried it again the next night, this time taking more like 1.5 tbsp with each drink. This time I definitely felt it. It felt like being moderately buzzed on alcohol...my body felt warm and buzzy, and I had a little involuntary grin on my face. It was quite nice and I enjoyed it, but this subsided relatively quickly to a crinkly-eyed tired feeling, and more doses did nothing to boost things.

I've had it three more times. I'm feeling it every time, but not as intensely as that second night, although I'm upping the dosage and using less liquid, so in theory it should be hitting me harder. Within a few minutes of a second drink, things do intensify in quite a nice way. But this subsides pretty quickly, back to the disappointingly mild effects.

So, I've had it 5 times now, and the 2nd was still the strongest, even though the 5th time I took 2.5 tbsp per drink.

Obviously, people have different and better results than I'm having. Anyone have any comments or advice? Should I try a different strain or brand? I do prefer the micronized to messing with filters and such. Any comments appreciated.

schatz

itchin for kava
I'm not quite seeing what the fuss is about, but I also question if I'm having the fullest kava experience I can. I've been using the Kalm with Kava micronized Fiji Loa Waka. I drink it with pineapple mango juice, mixed well with a whisk.

Every time I've tried it has been on an empty stomach (at least 5-6 hours since the last meal). The first night I tried it, I mixed in 1 tablespoon, and repeated this again 60 minutes later, and 60 minutes after that. I felt absolutely nothing.

I know it's an adaptogen and it can take time for the body to respond. So I tried it again the next night, this time taking more like 1.5 tbsp with each drink. This time I definitely felt it. It felt like being moderately buzzed on alcohol...my body felt warm and buzzy, and I had a little involuntary grin on my face. It was quite nice and I enjoyed it, but this subsided relatively quickly to a crinkly-eyed tired feeling, and more doses did nothing to boost things.

I've had it three more times. I'm feeling it every time, but not as intensely as that second night, although I'm upping the dosage and using less liquid, so in theory it should be hitting me harder. Within a few minutes of a second drink, things do intensify in quite a nice way. But this subsides pretty quickly, back to the disappointingly mild effects.

So, I've had it 5 times now, and the 2nd was still the strongest, even though the 5th time I took 2.5 tbsp per drink.

Obviously, people have different and better results than I'm having. Anyone have any comments or advice? Should I try a different strain or brand? I do prefer the micronized to messing with filters and such. Any comments appreciated.
Hang in there, you're coming along. I really like the Alubal, and highly recommend it while using medium grind. I find two balls does me fine after partaking for severeral years now and no increase in doseage, maybe even a decrease

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It's pretty common to have 'stand-out' experiences that are hard to repeat, even with increased dosage.
2 TBSP per drink is good for micronized...especially if you drink 2-3 drinks (4-6 Tbsp) over the course of a couple hours.
I'd suggest you buy some medium grind and practice making 8 Tbsp traditional prep batches...see how that hits you and adjust the root:water ratio and drinking time to your preference.
You'll also have to experiment with different kavas, so find which varieties tend to hit you better.

Thomas2060

Kava Curious
Thanks for the feedback. I guess my concern is that even my 'stand-out' experience, while nice, wasn't THAT special. It just kind of left me wondering, is that as good as kava gets? If so, I'm not sure how much it's worth the effort to chase that high, since it hasn't been as good since.
I will at least try another kava or two.

schatz

itchin for kava
Thanks for the feedback. I guess my concern is that even my 'stand-out' experience, while nice, wasn't THAT special. It just kind of left me wondering, is that as good as kava gets? If so, I'm not sure how much it's worth the effort to chase that high, since it hasn't been as good since.
I will at least try another kava or two.
Oh yes, keep going, it is worth it. Also highly recommend the Alubal, as it makes the experience so much easier to achieve.

Thomas2060

Kava Curious
Thanks for all your replies, just wanted to give an update and ask a new question. I've been consuming kava 2-4 times a week for over a month now, and at this point I'm getting a reliable effect with the first glass, every time. I'm typically having around 2.5 tablespoons of micronized kava in about 8 ounces of chocolate milk and chugging it, and getting a very nice slightly euphoric relaxation. I've tried several of the Kalm with Kava micronized varieties, and just got some of the 11 Year Waka from BKH which may be my favorite.

HOWEVER -- subsequent drinks of the evening really don't "work." They don't seem to do anything to boost or even just sustain the nice feeling. I've tried drinking the second glass anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes after the first. If anything it seems to actually blunt or cut short the nice effects I'm feeling and put me in a kind of dehydrated, tired haze.

Is this common, to get good effects with one glass but not with more? Or is it just another barrier to break through like I did with the first glass?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Thanks for all your replies, just wanted to give an update and ask a new question. I've been consuming kava 2-4 times a week for over a month now, and at this point I'm getting a reliable effect with the first glass, every time. I'm typically having around 2.5 tablespoons of micronized kava in about 8 ounces of chocolate milk and chugging it, and getting a very nice slightly euphoric relaxation. I've tried several of the Kalm with Kava micronized varieties, and just got some of the 11 Year Waka from BKH which may be my favorite.

HOWEVER -- subsequent drinks of the evening really don't "work." They don't seem to do anything to boost or even just sustain the nice feeling. I've tried drinking the second glass anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes after the first. If anything it seems to actually blunt or cut short the nice effects I'm feeling and put me in a kind of dehydrated, tired haze.

Is this common, to get good effects with one glass but not with more? Or is it just another barrier to break through like I did with the first glass?
Yes, it is common. You can't chase the dragon with kava. You get the nice euphoria at the beginning, when lucky, bu there is no way to make it last, nor guarantee you will experience that again any time.

Thomas2060

Kava Curious
Okay. That’s interesting because a lot of the kava introductory guides I’ve read, and some forum posters here too recommend multiple doses. Or at least suggest they’re doing it “all day” and so forth. Certainly isn’t working for me.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Backing up Mr. Krunkface. Drinking kava all day will make you feel like a fried lizard (unless you're some sort of kava-superhuman). It's draining. Kava is one of those things that suits itself better towards the end of your day when responsibilities are complete and relaxation is sought. I think of kava as the ultimate "night cap". Takes you from high-strung all the way to sleep.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Okay. That’s interesting because a lot of the kava introductory guides I’ve read, and some forum posters here too recommend multiple doses. Or at least suggest they’re doing it “all day” and so forth. Certainly isn’t working for me.
That’s something different. You were talking about getting krunk. After the euphoria, you get a great mellow glow, usually or maybe so intense it is couchlock. By all means enjoy. It really is great, so keep shelling for hours. I’m doing that as I type this, very pleasantly krunk.

But you can’t get that initial euphoria back. But a really good mellow can be very very worthwhile.

And drink as often as you like, as long as it does not provoke any unwanted side effects. I drink 2 - 4 litres a day every day with no bad side effects at all ever, though I did when I started for the first year, till I got the hang of it or my body adapted or whatever. Always post my fine liver panels which I get done frequently (not because of the kava). I’ll be posting new ones in two weeks. Kava is an excellent healthy beverage. I drink it like my neighbors drink 2L pop.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Backing up Mr. Krunkface. Drinking kava all day will make you feel like a fried lizard (unless you're some sort of kava-superhuman). It's draining. Kava is one of those things that suits itself better towards the end of your day when responsibilities are complete and relaxation is sought. I think of kava as the ultimate "night cap". Takes you from high-strung all the way to sleep.
Well, if you do drink kava all day, you can’t drink very strong kava all day, except weekends, that’s for sure. I’m a big advocate of drinking weak kava when appropriate. It has its charms.

Last edited:

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast

With the headiest varieties, I can get a bit of the euphoria back with a second shell, and *sometimes* a third, but by then the sedative relaxation usually dominates the experience. That initial euphoria is the main reason I drink kava, which is why I almost exclusively stick to heady kavas like Mo'i.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk