What's new

Kava Dosages Very confused Halp..

phunkeesea

Kava Curious
Okay, so I have no idea what kind of kava strain I have. I bought one oz from the same company I get my K@ from. It simply says, “kava kava noble” There is so much information in these forum’s that I’m having a hard understanding where and how to start. Could someone first explain to me what I even have? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Okay, so I have no idea what kind of kava strain I have. I bought one oz from the same company I get my K@ from. It simply says, “kava kava noble” There is so much information in these forum’s that I’m having a hard understanding where and how to start. Could someone first explain to me what I even have? Thanks!

You can say the vendor's name here. It's okay. Technically we can't give you any further information than your vendor gave you, so when we get that, we can start digging :)

The name throws me off instantly. I've found that those who have a distinct LACK of knowledge about kava, tend to refer to it as "Kava kava".

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It's weird to see kava be sold in such a small amount. Sprinkle some of the powder on that paper and see if it looks like fibrous medium-grind or very very fine individual particulates, with no sign of fibers/root bark/slivers/chunks. If it's very fine micronized or instant kava, then mabe you could get one session out of that whole bag...if it's traditional medium-grind that you would have to knead and strain in water, it will probably not be enough root for a strong experience.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
It's weird to see kava be sold in such a small amount. Sprinkle some of the powder on that paper and see if it looks like fibrous medium-grind or very very fine individual particulates, with no sign of fibers/root bark/slivers. If it's very fine micronized or instant kava, then mabe you could get one session out of that whole bag...if it's traditional medium-grind that you would have to knead and strain in water, it will probably not be enough root for a strong experience.
I was just about to type the same thing. If that bag cost more than $6 (or $8 if it's micronized) it's a ripoff.

phunkeesea

Kava Curious
Hey y’all. Sorry I’m just now getting back to everyone. I’ve been working a lot and also just am not very proficient at Tapatalk yet. I bought the kava for about $5 plus shipping. So, I paid around $12 total. Kind of feeling like I got ripped off. But, I do believe it is real kava. I just don’t know what variety/strain it is. I also don’t think I prepared it correctly. I believe it is medium grind. I put about 4 tbsp in about 8 ozs of water and stirred it. Then strained it through a T-shirt. Lol I think it made me a bit drowsy. But I’m not sure. At this point I don’t know that I’m at all impressed with the effects. I’m looking for a benzodiazepine alternative because I have severe panic attacks and just underlying chronic anxiety. Debating whether or not to try another kava. Does anyone know what strain is best for anxiety? Thanks.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hey y’all. Sorry I’m just now getting back to everyone. I’ve been working a lot and also just am not very proficient at Tapatalk yet. I bought the kava for about $5 plus shipping. So, I paid around $12 total. Kind of feeling like I got ripped off. But, I do believe it is real kava. I just don’t know what variety/strain it is. I also don’t think I prepared it correctly. I believe it is medium grind. I put about 4 tbsp in about 8 ozs of water and stirred it. Then strained it through a T-shirt. Lol I think it made me a bit drowsy. But I’m not sure. At this point I don’t know that I’m at all impressed with the effects. I’m looking for a benzodiazepine alternative because I have severe panic attacks and just underlying chronic anxiety. Debating whether or not to try another kava. Does anyone know what strain is best for anxiety? Thanks.

Do yourself a favor and give another vendor a shot. It, for real, could seriously help with the issues you describe. The t-shirt likely filtered out too much and made a weaker beverage. Get 2 nylon strainers from your local hardware or paint store and get a kava sampler pack. Bula kava has one but is out of stock. Gourmet Hawaiian kava has them in stock as does Kalm with Kava. It will give you a better understanding of the types and how they can help.

phunkeesea

Kava Curious
Do yourself a favor and give another vendor a shot. It, for real, could seriously help with the issues you describe. The t-shirt likely filtered out too much and made a weaker beverage. Get 2 nylon strainers from your local hardware or paint store and get a kava sampler pack. Bula kava has one but is out of stock. Gourmet Hawaiian kava has them in stock as does Kalm with Kava. It will give you a better understanding of the types and how they can help.
Thanks for the advice. I’m going to give it another shot!

Mo'iety

Kava Enthusiast
All kavas should help with chronic anxiety to some extent. It may help with panic attacks too but most people don't use kava that way since preparing grog (that's what we call prepared kava ready to drink) takes time. Even if one doesn't have anxiety, the effects of a quality kava can be very enjoyable, similar in a way to alcohol but with fewer side effects and less mental clouding.

phunkeesea

Kava Curious
Yes, I realize that it is time consuming to prepare. But if I can get in just one session a week that relieves this anxiety that I get daily, it will be worth it to me. It’s really terrible. I have to push through feeling like I’m going to die every day. And I’m not exaggerating. So, any kind of break In that will be highly welcomed!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Yes, I realize that it is time consuming to prepare. But if I can get in just one session a week that relieves this anxiety that I get daily, it will be worth it to me. It’s really terrible. I have to push through feeling like I’m going to die every day. And I’m not exaggerating. So, any kind of break In that will be highly welcomed!

Kalm with Kava has a new product called Pacific Roots Fresh green kava, it's as close as it gets to drinking fresh kava and each bottle packs a punch. It's the fastest way to get kava into your system, I have many, many bottles of it. It's something worth considering.

I dealt with Panick attacks years ago, I ended up going down the Benzo rollercoaster among other SSRI's with it along the way. Kava has been my alternative to it for the better part of the last four years, it's been a game changer for me.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Kalm with Kava has a new product called Pacific Roots Fresh green kava, it's as close as it gets to drinking fresh kava and each bottle packs a punch. It's the fastest way to get kava into your system, I have many, many bottles of it. It's something worth considering.
@phunkeesea Pacific Roots Fresh Green Kava is expensive and may be a tough sell for a newcomer to kava but it works very amazingly due to its strength. It'll have a different taste from dried medium grind but you'll be able to tell it's made from the same plant.

Another option to consider is instant kava. Instant kava is made with fresh root and the resulting grog is dehydrated (after filtering), then the remaining solids are crushed into a fine powder. Simply spoon up the desired amount of powder then mix with water and chug. It's more expensive than medium grind but this is stuff you can easily take to work and mix up with very few tools.

Some vendors I personally recommend: Gourmet Hawaiian Kava (Chris semi-regularly reads the threads here), Bula Kava House, the aforementioned Kalm with Kava, and Kavafied. If you ever make your way to New Zealand or if you have money to spare on shipping, The Kava Society has great products also.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
@phunkeesea Pacific Roots Fresh Green Kava is expensive and may be a tough sell for a newcomer to kava but it works very amazingly due to its strength. It'll have a different taste from dried medium grind but you'll be able to tell it's made from the same plant.

Another option to consider is instant kava. Instant kava is made with fresh root and the resulting grog is dehydrated (after filtering), then the remaining solids are crushed into a fine powder. Simply spoon up the desired amount of powder then mix with water and chug. It's more expensive than medium grind but this is stuff you can easily take to work and mix up with very few tools.

Some vendors I personally recommend: Gourmet Hawaiian Kava (Chris semi-regularly reads the threads here), Bula Kava House, the aforementioned Kalm with Kava, and Kavafied. If you ever make your way to New Zealand or if you have money to spare on shipping, The Kava Society has great products also.
Dollar for dollar, I think you get a better bang for your buck with the kava bevarage, but that's just my opinion. GHK sells wonderful Instants as well, Moi is particularly good but the only I've tried from him.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Dollar for dollar, I think you get a better bang for your buck with the kava bevarage, but that's just my opinion. GHK sells wonderful Instants as well, Moi is particularly good but the only I've tried from him.
I haven't done the math, but off the top of my head, the bottled kava is probably better cost-wise than, say, going to a kava bar and ordering shells there. It's even more convenient than instant, so I figure whatever cost jump there is from instant to the green kava is understandable.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Are any of the mentioned brands available on Amazon?

Off the top of my head, last I heard, Kalm with Kava and Bula Kava House sell their stuff on Amazon. If you want to support the vendors more fully, I recommend ordering from their websites directly. You can get more selection of product and, depending on your shipping options, you can get your kava pretty quickly. Gourmet Hawaiian Kava's website is down so you have to write to Chris here. He's pretty friendly! Kavafied I am not sure if they have Amazon presence but they're another place I recommend supporting directly by visiting their website. All the aforementioned vendors take PayPal and you don't need to make a PayPal account to use it.